The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Very cool. How much for just the engine, though? 220+ hp @ 15,000 RPM?! Great Koogaly Moogaly!! -eek- That would rock in an Elise. :D
But 80 foot pounds of torque is more like Yanni than rock in an Elise.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$100k for one of the first 50 bikes, w/a 10% deposit and no ETA. Every engine is hand built and different at this point.

'Greg

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
They've abandoned MotoGP hopes due to rule changes which made their bike ineligible.
The documentary took a couple of years to complete, so there's probably some stuff in it that's a bit dated.
:)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They've abandoned MotoGP hopes due to rule changes which made their bike ineligible.
The documentary took a couple of years to complete, so there's probably some stuff in it that's a bit dated.
:)
MotoGP is now down to 800cc from 990/1000. With all their troubled developing an engine, I would really hope they get some financing and go back to MotoGP at some point.

Need to win on Sunday in order to sell on Monday...

'Greg

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
MotoGP is now down to 800cc from 990/1000. With all their troubled developing an engine, I would really hope they get some financing and go back to MotoGP at some point.

Need to win on Sunday in order to sell on Monday...

'Greg
The early take was that they'd have to go pneumatic to get the valve train capable of the RPM required to get the power out of 800cc - a $500k development effort with no chance of recouping development through a production model (as they'd want to sell the bike as a GP replica).

I miss the (pre-MotoGP) GP days when it was still a prototypical class. Honestly, I don't even follow the series any more.
:(

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The engine only weighs 115lbs. 200 hp/liter. It's also a structural member of the chassis.

'Greg
OK. But I am not saying it is not an awesome engine. Just saying that it works well in a lighter motorcyle, the lower torque having to push even 1800 pounds is going to be noticeable.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The early take was that they'd have to go pneumatic to get the valve train capable of the RPM required to get the power out of 800cc - a $500k development effort with no chance of recouping development through a production model (as they'd want to sell the bike as a GP replica).

I miss the (pre-MotoGP) GP days when it was still a prototypical class. Honestly, I don't even follow the series any more.
:(
The liter bikes valvetrains were already pneumatic from Ducati and Honda, I thought. It seems they would've had to do the same to compete regardless.

They are going to have problems recouping their investment anyway (however slight it was relatively speaking). Better to have the motoGP story. They weren't going to do all the races anyway, just the American GP.

'Greg

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. But I am not saying it is not an awesome engine. Just saying that it works well in a lighter motorcyle, the lower torque having to push even 1800 pounds is going to be noticeable.
Right. It's no different than someone claiming a hayabusa engine would "rock" in an elise. If you double the displacement to match the displacement of the 2ZZ, you are going to probably end up w/ more torque than the 133 ft-lbs currently in the elise(maybe 400 hp and 160 ft-lbs).

The whole point of the new engine design is that it's more appropriate for a motorcycle anyway. Counter-rotating longitudinal crankshafts reduce the gyro effects to turn the bike easier. Pretty revolutionary.

'Greg

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
The liter bikes valvetrains were already pneumatic from Ducati and Honda, I thought. It seems they would've had to do the same to compete regardless.

They are going to have problems recouping their investment anyway (however slight it was relatively speaking). Better to have the motoGP story. They weren't going to do all the races anyway, just the American GP.

'Greg
Think that's all new still though - but like I say, I haven't kept up with the series since they moved to "bikes with valves." Fairly certain Ducati is sticking with desmo though - no real need to go to pneumatics when the springs aren't really doing the work.
;)

Fingers crossed, but taking on the likes of Erv and Burgess, with the factory's deep pockets backing them, would have been a suicide mission.

It'd be nice to see them make something of it, like the V1000, but I expect the reality will be more like VR1000.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts