The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well first off my name is Alex Gonzales, im new to the lotus forums.

a while back i inherited this car from a friend of mine, well it is an old lotus and i believe it might be worth something. i have had people come over too look at other cars or things i have sold and they are all over the lotus. I have a mutual friend who has been trying to snag it from me for about two years.well i finally took sometime and took some pictures.

the car is is decent shape, from what i can tell is the body is all fiberglass, the interior is all there, i have the grille and some of the glass in the trunk. its has race style seat belts. the motor is really clean and all complete, it has two side draft style carbs.

im looking for some honest answers, if i came up on a gold mine great! if its a decent car worth a small amount of money that's fine too.

i do not have any papers on the car, although the key is in the ignition.

anyone who could take the time and explain to me what i have here that would be greatly appreciated.

the chassis # 1120

the engine # 7627

if you want to email me direct: [email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm located in southern California, palm springs area.

thank you for the info! so what is something like this worth in its current condition and in restored condition?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You do have a goldmine. Please bring it back to this condition and share with us.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
DAMN - You're gonna have SOOOO Much Fun restoring that -

Good Luck -

Take your time and do a proper job of it ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
on the link i provided, i scrolled down to my chassis # but it does not match the engine # that is on the car.

this kind of car is not what im really into, but i would love to actually get into it and restore it, i have not been on the site long enough to know when i would even begin to find parts for this car. do you buy factory remakes or would i want to look on this site/ebay or other locations for parts?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
:drool::drool::drool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Google sports and specialty cars..On their site under classic cars is a lotus elite 11, The price is listed in its description,Fair estimate on what a restored one goes for..Btw have fun and good luck

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
try this:
Hemmings Motor News: 1957-'62 Lotus Elite

$30k range...

AWESOME car - there is a poll going on about the greatest all time lotus car ever - converstation keeps coming back to THAT car :)

keep it!

chasis construction can make restoration a little challanging if you have to go digging out rusted steel burried in fiberglass. no idea about availablity of rubber and glass. i am sure the elite type 14 community will know where to point you.

everyone will be offering to come and tow it our of your yard for free!! :p

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Congratulations

Congratulations, you have a historically interesting car with a passionate following. You need to:

1) Join the yahoo Lotus Type 14 group They have an excellent magazine/newsletter.

2) Talk with the acknowledged expert on Type 14's Mike Ostrov

A private message is coming your way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow thanks for all the great info, TOP notch forum i have been to many who would have flamed me right off the bat talking all kinds of nonsense.

i will defiantly get this car indoors and start doing my homework.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't know man.

It looks like a rather poor specimen. :evil:

I'll give you $500.:D

yea, alright you won the lottery.
You might not be into it but that is a sweet car and many envy you.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
wow thanks for all the great info, TOP notch forum i have been to many who would have flamed me right off the bat talking all kinds of nonsense.

i will defiantly get this car indoors and start doing my homework.
If you decide to get into a restoration, get in touch with Miles Wilkins here:

Fibreglass Services

He is considered to be THE expert on these cars, having been assigned by Lotus as the Type 14 concessionaire in the UK.

Among the so many things that will need to be looked at, are the suspension mounting points. There is no real chassis in these cars, it's a fiberglass monocoque. The suspension pieces are actually bonded into the fiberglass, and the mounting points have been known to develop cracks. One of the many known fragile aspects of the car.

If you can get this done, and done right, you will truly have one of the more amazing cars on the road.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Welcome, for sure you have a very special car :bow:

You never know, if you do a bit of research on what Lotus cars are all about, and the history and the people behind them (it all starts with Colin Chapman (Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman, to be absolutely accurate), you might just find yourself falling in love with the marque.

This DVD:
http://www.dukevideousa.com/Cars/DVD/Makes and Profiles/Best of British Lotus DVD NTSC.aspx

Is a nice introduction to the cars and the history of the marque, and the Elite is featured as one of the important and innovative types (models)

You're hopefully starting on a really cool journey :clap:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
:drool::drool::drool::drool:

so you just inherited this? DAMN!!!!!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
:drool::drool::drool:

Easily one of my faves. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Mike Ostrov is THE guy on these....no question and you could not find a nicer guy. Mikes word is like gold and you can bank on anything he tells you.

Tell Mike I said hi.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Mike Ostrov is THE guy on these....no question and you could not find a nicer guy. Mikes word is like gold and you can bank on anything he tells you.

Tell Mike I said hi.
Plus a thousand.

I've never met Mike, but have exchanged e-mails several time. He bends over backward to help anyone with anything Lotus related. Highly recommended. :clap:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts