The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally my wife has found a new job after 2 years of unemployment and hard study for her new career.

As a thank you for sticking by her for the past 2 years, my dear wife has promised me that she will help me buy any car I want (inside a reasonable budget).
Her words were: "you are 50, you never bought a car you really wanted because you always had to buy the car the family needed at the time. As soon as my earning pick up again, I want to make your dream car a priority."

Needless to say, that was music to my ears. She knows I am a car and motorcycle fanatic (luckily, I had my dream motorcycles) and she knows it would make me very happy to finally buy a car I enjoy driving.

I really don't car about buying a car that is flashy or more expensive than my neighbor. I want a car that when I drive it on a twisty road it sings to me. A car that feels like an extension on my own body.

I am also a very dedicated Sim racer. I race at least once a week and I have become pretty good at it. I would love to have a car I can take to track day and also I am thinking about autocrossing it.

Once I considered price, looks, driving, etc. a Lotus pretty much makes it to the top of the list in every category. price is reasonable, it's one of the best driving cars there is and it's also a very pretty car.

Problem is: I know nothing about what is available in the US (California to be specific). Where do I go? Do I buy new or used? What's the cost of maintenance?

Usually, if I have a choice between a class A and B car, I prefer a class B with all the gadgets I can get as opposed to a plain and under tuned class A car.

Am I making any sense?

I don;t want to buy a Lotus and end up with the cheapest rims, but I also do not need the best rims there are. Same with brakes, engines, etc.

This seems to be the right place to ask. I am not 100% stuck on a Lotus. There are another couple of cars that I may look at when the time comes, but they would have to be pretty exceptional to overthrow the Lotus.

Since the lotus is about a year in my future, I am not in a hurry, but I would like to start gathering data.

Thank you for any help

·
Registered
570 Posts
Prices of Lotus' are usually down about 10 percent in the winter.

Very inexpensive track car in general. dont over think it like many do, these cars are very fast stock.

maintenance costs more due to the clam shell and undertray/diffuser. plenty of threads exist that answer your question re: maintenance more in depth though.

P.S. what is the sim you have been playing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the prompt replay. The more I look at it the more the Lotus seems like the perfect car for what I intend to do.

My question was mostly in regard to what kind of accessories are usually suggested for the various models (and for that matter, what kind of model should a newbie buy, aside from financial concerns).

In my experience, whenever one buy a car or motorcycle a bit out of the norm, there are a number of things one learns after the purchase. Maybe it is too look for this feature or maybe not to buy that color and so forth.

Since I have time, I'd like to gather all those factoids ahead of time and use them for when I will buy the car.

For instance, I don't have a big issue buying used. In fact, I may find a better car used than I can new. On the other hand, if I buy a Lotus, I believe it should be in British racing green. Something I may not be able to insist upon when buying used.

As far as the Sim I race, I own pretty much every sim of the past 10 years or so and I am a member of iRacing as well.

For the past year or so, I have been racing with the NAGP which is a US based league that races using GTR2 and our own mod (GT1 and GT2 plus a seasonal mod on Saturdays).

Today I am racing Game Stock car from Reiza. They just released the 2012 version and it's possibly one of the best driving sims ever.

I think it costs around $40 and it comes with the 2012 Stock car season from Brazil, plus a Formula 3 car that is just exceptional, a F1 car that is also probably the best driving F1 car in Simracing, a camaro street car (originally it was just the pace car, but then they decided to release it as a stand alone) and hidden in there there is a version of the Forumal Armaroli car that was released in rFactor a couple of years ago.
That's a late 80's F1 car and in GSC drives just wonderfully.

The Camaro and the "Formula Classic" (as they call it) are only available for online racing. When raced in single player they are bundled with the V8 stock cars and the F1 cars respectively.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Prices of Lotus' are usually down about 10 percent in the winter.

Very inexpensive track car in general. dont over think it like many do, these cars are very fast stock.

maintenance costs more due to the clam shell and undertray/diffuser. plenty of threads exist that answer your question re: maintenance more in depth though.

P.S. what is the sim you have been playing?
What would you consider the winter price of a under 30k miles 2005 with hardtop to be this winter?

·
Registered
570 Posts
What would you consider the winter price of a under 30k miles 2005 with hardtop to be this winter?
Your best bet to gauge off of would be to look in the for sale section, and compare what it was like this past winter. you wont always see the sold-for prices, but you can compare apples to apples.

When I had first hit the market looking for one, i found a midnight blue, hardtop, 30-50k miles(cant remember) CF seats/harnesses, uprated brakes, nitrons, and a few other things. It went for 24xxx, and it sold right before
i was ready to start shopping.

·
Registered
570 Posts
On the other hand, if I buy a Lotus, I believe it should be in British racing green.

QUOTE]
:clap: good choice.

it would help if you showed up to a local car meet to see one in person. but really any spec'd elise will do for you, there are tons of crazy fast drivers on both base and sport pack elises.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I want a car that when I drive it on a twisty road it sings to me. A car that feels like an extension on my own body.
You've come to the right place my friend. Just be forewarned though. An Elise will draw a lot of attention even if it's not a flashy color like red, orange, yellow, etc.

You will LOVE the car. Can you say "grinning like an idiot" when you carve up the twisties? It's heavenly.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Btw, check Ebay and Autotrader. It'll give you a good idea of what's out there (at summer prices).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts