The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New arrival announcement :clap:

Pleased to announce my new arrival, a Silver 02 25th Anniversary Edition #73

It’s had a few delivery issues, lol, that I will go into and have a few questions for folks but first I want to give a shout out to all the folks that offered advice when I was looking around for a car. I also want to give a special shout out to Harold Bray (irok). I was considering his 98 and talked to him quite a lot and he was the perfect gentleman and was very helpful and I feel bad about not actually buying his car and was real close to pulling the trigger on it before 02 came up. If anyone is considering his car then I’d be happy to answer any questions from what I learnt.

Anyhow, the reason I ended up going with the 02 was that I really wanted the OZ Nova’s, the center exhaust and restyled lights. I was looking at the time at the 98, a 99, and a 2001 all of which had their pluses but none had everything I wanted and with the potential cost of the upgrades added to the purchase price I basically got the 02 for pretty much the same money (south of $40K) and it’s an actual 02 with 16K miles and it’s kind of cool to have a numbered car :)

So the car I ended up getting was the one Silver02 was selling. I know some folks were suspicious about the fact that he was selling it so quickly and possibly those suspicions were warranted, jury is still out on that. So for those curious about what condition the car was actually in and some of the issues I’m still working through read on…..

So the pluses….

The car is in immaculate condition inside and out, certainly a very clean example. Clutch and transmission seem very good although I have not got a lot of experience of driving other Esprit’s so I have nothing to compare it against but there’s nothing that jumps out at me as being wrong. The car had a new timing belt installed so that’s also good. I’ve been driving around in 110 – 115 degree weather, I’m in Phoenix, and have had zero issues with overheating which was a relief. I previous local car I test drove was overheating badly and the dealer tried to tell me this was normal. While Esprit’s do run hot the car I have now is running typically 10 to 15 degrees less than the one I test drove and it’s a lot hotter outside now.

So onto the issues that I’ve been working through….

After driving the car for like 30 seconds I immediately noticed a clanking/thumping sound. Kind of sounded like a loose engine mount. On describing it to my mechanic who’s a very experience Esprit mechanic he immediately diagnosed it as likely chassis knock. This is what it turned out to be and was an easy fix ($200 to fix). I don’t want to pass judgment but it’s hard to image that anyone would not notice this and it was pretty much unmentioned, fortunately a quick fix though.

Next issue was emissions where the car was failing. It was failing because there was no check engine light displaying on starting the car and it had some out of spec codes. When my mechanic checked it out he found the light had been removed and there was actually 8 separate emission type codes. Some of these were apparently caused by a blown fuse driving some of the emission related components. Anyhow long story short, all the emission issues got resolved, and I have a check engine light now and it has stayed off :)

The windscreen wiper was not resetting correctly and was a few inches above where it should be, again a simple fix.

So overall it’s not really cost that much to fix these issues and so far I still feel ahead of the game. Now for the prevailing issues that may or may not make me feel ahead of the game anymore, lol.

Please feel free to jump in on any thoughts on these…

So it’s kind of happenstance that someone just posted a question on stalling. I have the same issue and pretty much as was described. I was aware of the reset cycle and what have you and indeed my mechanic suggested driving for a bit to see if it improved as it learnt more. I’ve put some 300 miles of mixed driving on it since then and it’s really not changed much. Slipping the car into neutral especially after driving a few freeway miles can easily cause a stall. So much so that I’ve got used to blipping the throttle to catch it but it’s a pain in the ass and something you don’t really want to think about. It also seems to happen after harder acceleration. The idle itself is still all over the place and while if I let it settle it will eventually get to the correct idle, usually at first it sits around 1100 to 1200 then sometimes drops low and catches itself and pretty much hunts for a bit before getting sorted. I’d say this has not improved at all over the 300 miles so I got to think there is something wrong here, maybe an idle valve or vacuum leak somewhere.

The other issue I have is an engine whine which is actually much more noticeable from inside the cabin than outside. If I had to put money on it I’d say it was coming from passenger side just behind the bulk head but it is difficult to exactly pinpoint. It not dependent on transmission being engaged and is not present from a cold start but gets louder as the engine warms up. From listening inside the engine bay I don’t believe it’s coming from the block but it’s kind of hard to tell but it’s certainly a lot less noticeable. My mechanic has already checked the installation of the belt and the tension is good. The whine is directly proportional to revs and I don’t need to be moving. It’s really quite enjoying and spoiling the enjoyment of the car, like the first minute I drive it from cold it sounds great and after that just an enjoying whine fills the cabin. Was wondering if anyone else has come across this before.

I’m going to have my mechanic check out the issues probably next week but any insights would be appreciated.

Thx Jerry

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Congrats!

Pics or it didnt happen though..

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
1. Chassis Knock - a lot of cars came like that...actually most of them...it's a cheap fix.
2. Emission - Well...it's resolved.
3. Windscreen Wiper - typical
4. Stalling, try start the car and let it idle for 20 minutes, turn on the A/C and let it idle for another 20 minutes (You're suppose to go through a number of fan cycles, but I forgot the cycles, I usually just do 20 minutes), then go out for a drive with A/C on for about 10 minutes...this may solve the issue. I think your ECU was reset, and it's tricky for the ECU to learn the idle. I doubt it that your IAC valve is bad, and if is, it's an expensive fix (a lot of labor to remove the plenum)
5. Whine - hard to determine, maybe a video would help. However, do you know when the timing belt tension was last checked? Usually it'll have a whine if the belts are tight. After re-tighten t-belt to spec the belts would usually whine, but I'm not sure if your belts were over tighten because it sounds like the whine is louder than it should be...anyhow, check on the service history on the belt tension check, otherwise, do it again just to be safe.

Alan

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
What is "Chassis Knock" and how did you fix it? If your guy is an experienced Lotus mechanic he should get out his Tech 1 and bump up the idle a little till it relearns. Congrats on getting what sounds like a good buy. Any Esprit you find will have "issues" to sort out. Hopefully you find and fix them easily and cheaply. On any used car I buy one of the first things I do is change all of the fluids and filters unless I know it has been done recently and properly. On a Lotus it also means bringing up to date all of the service if necessary. Have your mechanic check the throttle for full opening. Pull the hoses and check the turbos for leaking oil. Clean the header bottle and check the level in the overflow in the R/R wheel well. Run a bottle of Techron through a full tank to clean the fuel system.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As requested some pic's to prove I actually own it, lol. The first two are just in my drive way, haven't got to a nice pic location yet. The other two are from a photo shoot that i'm sure some folks have seen before but that is the car that was used.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi jrealty,

To answer your question chassis knock as it was explained to me was an issue with the bolts holding the bulkhead coming loose and causing it to bang again the chassis. Apparently a common issue. There seems to be a bad scenario fix and a good scenario fix. The good scenario i if there is still purchase on the nut and one can use some shims to fill the gap and then re-tighten the bolts. This is the cheap fix. The bad scenario apparently is where there is no purchase and you have ot go in through the cabin which involves lifting the carpet which usually destroys it and its a much more lengthy process. This was at least how it was explained to me but other folks may have more insight. All I know is that it only cost $200 to fix and the knock is gone so I'm happy :)

Jerry

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E5PR1T,

Thanks for the comments. I did try the idling and cycle, maybe need to let it idle longer. I followed the "learning" process that had been posted in some other threads. One thing I'm curious about is that the learning process talks about fan cycling with AC off and AC on but my understanding is that with the AC on the fans are running continuously?

I'd be interested in hearing other folks experiences with the "learning" cycle and typically how long it took. A secondary question is that I will likely upgrade to the high torque chip and if so I'm guessing I'd have to go through all this again with the learning?

I'll see if I can sort out some kind of audio recording of the whine.

Thx

Jerry

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,088 Posts
The bulkhead carpet can be slit to access the bulkhead bolts, then glued back down after they are tightened.

Slits are not noticeable behind the seats.

$200 huh?

++++++++++++

Anyway, nice car!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Akan,

On your question on the belt, the belt is new and was installed originally a couple of months ago. I also suspected that might be an issue with the tension as the belt was installed by someone with maybe less Esprit experience so I had my mechanic check the installation and he said it was to spec and no issues.

When you've heard a whine coming from the belt is it something that gets worse as the car heats up? From a cold start there is no whine.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
There should be no whine from the belts. It could be they are too tight, it could be the type of belt, it could be a bearing in one of the tensioners (there are 3, one for each belt). Typically they are replaced along with the belts. BTW, there are 3 belts. Two are timing belts (cam belts) and one is an accessory (auxiliary) belt. The tensioners for the timing belts once adjusted are fixed, the one for the accessories is spring loaded so you can't overtighten that one. As the motor warms up the cam belts get tighter and tighter since the motor is expanding because of the heat. The aux belt is spring loaded so it doesn't get tighter so the noise is either the cam belts or a bearing in one of the three tensioners. How did your mechanic check the tension in the cam belts? There is a very specific procedure which requires some specialized tools. It is not just a matter of pushing against the belts and measuring deflection. It is VERY important the tension in the cam belts is set precisely according to the manual and you do NOT want a failed bearing in a tensioner either. The consequences can be expensive. The whine is a warning which needs to be investigated and corrected.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
When I test drove this car earlier this year it had no "whine sound".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi David,

As far as I am aware he used the resonate frequency technique. His back ground is Lotus trained mechanic with specialty in Esprit's. Worked for the local dealership while we had one, lol, and is now independent working in a small shop that does Ferrari's and Lotus's. The local dealership actually outsourced their Esprit work to him as he had the experience. Since I just started working with him time will tell on his competence but he came recommended and certainly has the right background.

Having said all that I would not discount it still being belt related as it certainly fits the symptoms and the type of noise. It is definitely something that appears to be more readily transmitted through the chassis than readily audible when standing next to the engine as it is far more pronounced in the cabin.

Jerry

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I can almost see this happening when I see that car:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Docl,

That's interesting as pretty much the only actual change would be the belt so its either that or something else happened between when you drove it and I got it.

Jerry

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SwingLo

Ha ha too funny, and yes you do get a lot of attention when driving this car, lol.

Funny anecdote....

I was driving back from the grocery store, pulled into my garage, garage door was still open and I went into the house with groceries, came out and there was a police SUV parked outside by drive way. I was like WTF already, lol. He obviously saw my look and he was like your OK I was just parked by the side of the road, heard the exhaust, saw the car and just had to see what it was, lol. I've had a lot of nice cars before but never have i had a car that a policeman would want to follow me home, lol. He got out and I showed him the car, he was duly impressed :)

Oh and yes I did take the car to the grocery store, while I might not use it all the time for errands, and the car will be well looked after, I'm also not one of those guys that buys cars to not drive them. Also, for anyone reading this who is thinking about an esprit, I can tell you I've taken it pretty much everywhere I go with my mini without issue. I was kind of scared that with what everyone was saying it would be hard to go anywhere with the car but honestly for a super car this vehicle is surprisingly practical and as long as due care is taken it actually can get in and out of most parking areas and can even navigate speed bumps :) Just be prepared for everything to take longer as I've not been anywhere without someone wanting to check out the car.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
SwingLo

Ha ha too funny, and yes you do get a lot of attention when driving this car, lol.

Funny anecdote....

I was driving back from the grocery store, pulled into my garage, garage door was still open and I went into the house with groceries, came out and there was a police SUV parked outside by drive way. I was like WTF already, lol. He obviously saw my look and he was like your OK I was just parked by the side of the road, heard the exhaust, saw the car and just had to see what it was, lol. I've had a lot of nice cars before but never have i had a car that a policeman would want to follow me home, lol. He got out and I showed him the car, he was duly impressed :)

Oh and yes I did take the car to the grocery store, while I might not use it all the time for errands, and the car will be well looked after, I'm also not one of those guys that buys cars to not drive them. Also, for anyone reading this who is thinking about an esprit, I can tell you I've taken it pretty much everywhere I go with my mini without issue. I was kind of scared that with what everyone was saying it would be hard to go anywhere with the car but honestly for a super car this vehicle is surprisingly practical and as long as due care is taken it actually can get in and out of most parking areas and can even navigate speed bumps :) Just be prepared for everything to take longer as I've not been anywhere without someone wanting to check out the car.

Jerry
ROFL! My saying about an Esprit: "It's one of those cars where even if you had three noses growing out of your forehead you could still get laid!"

My police story was a local cop, out of the way street which split into two lanes, one turn. He pulls up and honks his horn (no other traffic around BTW) and after I roll down the window asks what it is, asks me to gun it so he can hear the engine.. Then he asks me if I want to race to the next light. I was like, yeah but if I win what do I get, a ticket? He said nope.. " I still did not bite though... Still wonder

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Jerry,

Do you know what kind of cam belt is in your car now? the Gates (Blue) belt or the OEM (Black) belt?

I find the OEM belts have louder whine than the Gates.

The belts usually whine after the car is warmed up.

So what you're saying is your mechanic (the one that's knowledgeable with Lotus) did check the tension on the belts with a Clavis gauge or similar? If he checked the tension at the right position then I wouldn't worry about the belt whine...However, you should still confirm if the whine was coming from the cam belt.

Alan

Akan,

On your question on the belt, the belt is new and was installed originally a couple of months ago. I also suspected that might be an issue with the tension as the belt was installed by someone with maybe less Esprit experience so I had my mechanic check the installation and he said it was to spec and no issues.

When you've heard a whine coming from the belt is it something that gets worse as the car heats up? From a cold start there is no whine.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts