The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,158 Posts
I like it. Should be a great platform. A Clubsport or GT3 version would rock. I've heard both Porsche & BMW are watching the success of the Elise very carefully. Hopefully they will respond with lighter versions of their respective cars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Real side windows are WRONG!
They done this design to make the Boxster differant to the 911!

In short they maded what could have been a great car, well look at bit iffy. No M250, mind you Lotus have lost their way as well............Oh Come on Nissan (Zed 350 Club Sport please).

Cheers
Mega

·
Registered
712 Posts
That last picture reminds me a lot of the Chrysler Crossfire.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
usofrob said:
That last picture reminds me a lot of the Chrysler Crossfire.
exactly what I thought...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If they're smart, Porsche will have a sliding Targa roof for the new Boxster Coupe. That's what Nissan should have done for the 350Z.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I currently own a boxster s, so I believe I have some position to stand on when it comes to porsche.

In terms of the perfect every day car (for a sports car person), it comes VERY close. It is relatively quiet, has ok storage space, and is comfortable to do a long drive in. I have had almost no issues with it, only two wheel bearings and the odd squeeks/rattles. In terms of driving push it hard into the turns and it supplies just enough feedback to make the turn very easy, although like all road cars it has too much understeer with the stock tires/suspension. Go to wider fronts and it balances out perfectly.

On the track it has been the best teaching tool I have ever used. Before this I have driven quite a few other vehicles, and owned/tracked my 3rd gen rx7. They were all great, but you could overcome many bad driving habits with power or other bad habits. The boxster is a vehicle which lets you drive hard, but will not let you make a mistake. The Elise will probably beat the boxster here though, as its weight to power ratio is better, but without enough power to make up for poor decisions.

This leads me to the only real problem with the boxter, it is way low on power for what the car can really handle or costs. It needs 350-400 hp to bring it up to the level of its competition (corvette/new bmws/elise etc) and to fully use the vehicle. Unfortunately that would probably ruin its ability to "teach" us how to really drive fast, and would confuse the porsche buyer reducing the 911s sold.

The Coupe version will probably use the new S engine, with a slight boost of power due to better intake plumbing and cooling bringing it up to about 300hp, with 100-150lbs less weight. Sounds good, but the carerra still has more power and more racing options (plus some level of factory support). Cost will probably be 70k or so, putting it just below the carerra. If they make a lightweight version, my guess would be a 320-330hp setup on the same engine with a cost in the 90k range as to be just below the turbo.

Would I own another boxster s? Absolutely, if the new car cost was around 40-42k (and I could get a used one at half that, 3yrs old). At the new 60k+ range it is just not worth it IMO. The elise fits my spiritual/monetary needs very well, though with my racing needs filled by karting it remains to be seen if I will be buying the elise at the end of the summer.

·
Banned
338 Posts
I like it...

Will the coupe version cost more or less than the convertable?? I figure it should be cheaper since it would have less mechanicals for the top etc.
I have read many articles that the Boxter handles better than the 911, so why buy a 911?? I guess more power.
Love to see it in person, since I am probably canceling my Elise order due to the $2000 price gauge.
Do Porsches hold their value well??

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Here's a little tidbit courtesty of RC @ Rennteam.com

Today I heard again the rumor that the new upcoming Boxster Coupe (or whatever the final name will be) has actually a SLK-type fixed roof which is retractable. This is supposed to be actually the big "sensation" behind this car.
I heard that before but it is strange that nobody really wants to confirm OR deny it.
If true, it would surely sell very well because I already know a lot of people who would buy such a car, including my wife.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mav: You are missing the porsche motto. Less is more! (IE, Less car is more money for us)

Look at the GT2 or GT3 if you really want to understand what that means. 105k for a porsche turbo, 185k (list) for a GT2 which is basically a 2wd version of a turbo. Yes, I know there are other differences but they do not add cost to the basic model. Similar setup with the GT3, though it does have that snazzy wing and nice engine.

Understand, porsche at this point is #1 in understanding that you sell to what people will pay. Anything else is money lost. Its good business, but goes against what us racers, and the true old style porsche fans want.

If porsche was pricing the elise style/race version of the boxster, I guess the price would ride around 145k. Something high enough to keep it very exclusive, and not in a range which will compete with other vehicles they have for sale. Of course it would have some tasty options not otherwise available which could raise the price to 180k...

For this reason I am guessing the coupe (solid fixed top) will be lighter weight and sold as a more sporting boxster. Thus allowing it to cost more even if there are less parts and is easier to make.

Scot

·
Registered
495 Posts
Porsche mags I've read say the coupe should come in cheaper than the ragtop. I guess we'll see. They need to bolster flagging Boxster sales, so I think it'll be priced attractively.

It'll make an excellent base for a club racer, especially given that PCA and POC are are well-developed club venues. Nothing truly comparable for the Elise in the way of clubs.

Not saying that it's 'better' than an Elise (I'd rather have the Helthel product hands down), but you'd be foolish to underestimate it as a serious competitor. The early reviews on the new car are very positive, not that the old car was shabby. Really, the boxster platform is potentially superior to the 911. Porsche won't let that be a reality, though, at least as far as factory offerings.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts