The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In our continued pursuit of best performing products for the Lotus we've developed this new "hard-core" sway bar for the Elise & Exige. Specifically for Superstock AutoX users or anyone that cannot shave the hubface to gain additional negative camber this bar is for you.

The concept is simple: If you have limited negative camber, front traction falls off quickly as the car rolls side to side. Minimizing front roll actually helps front grip by keeping the front tires flatter while cornering. This aids transitional response and plants the rear tires for more power on exit. This strategy has been used to great effect by the nationally competitive autoxers with custom bars, now available to everyone.

The bar is thicker than stock and has hand-milled polyurethane bushings. These bushings were milled while in the actual sway bar mount so as to reduce friction points under real conditions. Also included are our adjustable endlinks. We only made a small run of these so first come-first served!

Blackwatch Racing - Lotus Elise and Exige Superchargers, Parts, and Accessories

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Get a discount on your upgrade!

If you're thinking of buying this extra-stiff bar, PM me about buying your current BWR bar.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Why can't I find it on the site? The link just takes you to the main home page. I did a search on sway bar and only the bushings came up? :shrug:

I also looked under featured products?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Why can't I find it on the site? The link just takes you to the main home page. I did a search on sway bar and only the bushings came up? :shrug:

Look under suspension parts. Here is a direct link. The third configuration option under type ("HardCore AutoX or Track (Add $25.00)").

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I was probably editing it while you were looking.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Fred,

Two questions: how much stiffer than stock is it, and is it still available?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Just a plug for BWR sway bars. I had done some suspension changes and installed a LSD in my car. With the stock sway bar I literally thought I had ruined the car. Push in corner entry then snap oversteer on exit. After installing the BWR sway bar the car is absolutely fantastic. Now everytime I autoX I look like this >:D the whole time.

Now if only there were more club autocross events -poke- Randy?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Just a plug for BWR sway bars. I had done some suspension changes and installed a LSD in my car. With the stock sway bar I literally thought I had ruined the car. Push in corner entry then snap oversteer on exit. After installing the BWR sway bar the car is absolutely fantastic. Now everytime I autoX I look like this >:D the whole time.

Now if only there were more club autocross events -poke- Randy?
Someone mention my name? It would be nice if more people volunteered time. :) I just put on an Autocross event on Monday. I need to recuperate.

Back on topic, I have used both of the earlier styles swaybars and highly recommend them. Quality is great.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ahh, please help me understand this better? I've always understood that a stiffer front sway bar will increase understeer. I have one of the older BWR sway bars, and I've certainly found this to be the case - adjust it stiffer to increase understeer, less stiff to decrease understeer (increase oversteer). Going even stiffer with this new bar would just increase understeer even more, no? Am I missing something? I do agree the car still rolls too much (even with Ohlins), but I attribute that to not having stiff enough springs.

-RWarden

·
Registered
852 Posts
It looks like you have tthree different bars, which I'm guessing have different stiffness relative to the stock bar. Do you know the relative stiffness of the three bar options? The PDF says hole 2 is 60% stiffer, but this doesn't likely appear to apply to all three bars...

Also, the PDF and website say each sequential hole is a 2% difference, which seems impossible. Is it supposed to be something more like 10%?

John

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
ahh, please help me understand this better? I've always understood that a stiffer front sway bar will increase understeer. I have one of the older BWR sway bars, and I've certainly found this to be the case - adjust it stiffer to increase understeer, less stiff to decrease understeer (increase oversteer). Going even stiffer with this new bar would just increase understeer even more, no? Am I missing something? I do agree the car still rolls too much (even with Ohlins), but I attribute that to not having stiff enough springs.

-RWarden
It ain't necessarily so, as the old song says. I have installed truly monstrous front bars (on other cars) and had far less understeer. The reason is that less body roll means less wheel cambering on corners. Sometimes the effect of better wheel camber outweighs the effect of more weight transfer to the outer wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
congrats, ive only heard great things about these parts, i will be ordering mine soon as well :up:
hahah....become a track junkie like me!!!!
I new the harnesses would get you going!

·
Registered
355 Posts
In our continued pursuit of best performing products for the Lotus we've developed this new "hard-core" sway bar for the Elise & Exige. Specifically for Superstock AutoX users or anyone that cannot shave the hubface to gain additional negative camber this bar is for you.

The concept is simple: If you have limited negative camber, front traction falls off quickly as the car rolls side to side. Minimizing front roll actually helps front grip by keeping the front tires flatter while cornering. This aids transitional response and plants the rear tires for more power on exit. This strategy has been used to great effect by the nationally competitive autoxers with custom bars, now available to everyone.

The bar is thicker than stock and has hand-milled polyurethane bushings. These bushings were milled while in the actual sway bar mount so as to reduce friction points under real conditions. Also included are our adjustable endlinks. We only made a small run of these so first come-first served!

Blackwatch Racing - Lotus Elise and Exige Superchargers, Parts, and Accessories
When is the next batch due? Missed that run :wallbang:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts