The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent Christmas in London this year, and of course HAD to track down a Lotus dealership so that I could press my nose against the glass and gaze longingly at what I can't have until #38 finally comes up at my dealer!

Long story short: found HR Owen listed on the UK Lotus site as a dealer on Old Brompton Road in South Kensington, and on the way there wandered past Harrod's, and was surprised to see a Lotus Elise exhibit in the front window, complete with an Elise painted in "Harrod's Green". Not be be confused with BRG, this is more of bilious yellowy blue green- ick! Beautiful car otherwise; tragic choice of color.

Finally made it to the dealership, and next to a stunning Aston Martin was a whole fleet of Elises. Big mistake on my part. I had convinced myself that British Racing Green was by far the best color, but there in the back row was an Elise in Gunmetal, and WOW does that color look sweet. Just the right shade to really accentuate the shape by amplifying the light & shadow- breathtaking. But it's not on the U.S. color charts! Argh...

Any other votes for Gunmetal as a top choice?

-Knute

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think we have come to the conclusion that Graphite Grey is the same as Gunmetal but the "PC" police here in land of free speach decided it had violant connotations or whatever:confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Son of a gun!

Thanks for for posting the crosslink- I completely missed that thread while out of town. My brief opportunities for internet access while in London were mostly payphones, some of which had internet for 10P/minute. (Horrible metal chiclet keyboards, though!)

That link to Harrods brings back the nightmare- there the car is, in all it's hideous Harrods' green glory. Looks like monkey puke, to me! ;-)

As far as Gunmetal being the same as Graphite, I'm a little confused- did I miss seeing Graphite on the Federal version color charts? It surely isn't shown on the color selector at www.lotuscars.com but I don't get the impression that site is updated as often as it ought to be.

As for the ugliest color, I would STILL take Aztec Bronze or Aubergine (eggplant purple) before Harrods green. Maybe that's why Harrods is giving it away. :D

-Knute

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I sort of liek the Bronze color, but then my mother had a bronze corvertible when I was a little kid.

The purple color looks good if you are a pimp, or maybe Michael Jackson would want one so he could dress up in a Barney outfit and drive around trying to pick up 4 year olds.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Knute said:

As far as Gunmetal being the same as Graphite, I'm a little confused- did I miss seeing Graphite on the Federal version color charts? It surely isn't shown on the color selector at www.lotuscars.com but I don't get the impression that site is updated as often as it ought to be.

-Knute
Graphite grey - a 1200 dollar lifestyle color as per order guide

·
Registered
591 Posts
Beauty and ugly is in the eye of the beholder. My wife really likes the bronze and I like the purple. I see it as a bold color statement for a bold car. Men who are not confident in their sexuality may see it as a "girly" color. To each his own.

The "worst" color is any color if you fail to get one.

Greg

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I don't think there is any worse color, however, my wallet which has tremendous influence on my good and bad behaviors, says that the best color is red and yellow, and the worst are those lifestyles swinging orange and grey.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find gun metal boring on a rainy day. Saw one and disliked it. Loved it in pictures (and probably under nice sunlight).

Regarding the lifestyle colours: are these a different type of paint (mica perhaps) or do they just price two colours higher because they think that's funny?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
armitage said:
Regarding the lifestyle colours: are these a different type of paint (mica perhaps) or do they just price two colours higher because they think that's funny?
I would like to know the same thing. I really want Graphite, but the premium is a bit rediculous. I don't like Storm Ti as much, but might be worth a second look.

·
Registered
109 Posts
_JD_ said:
I would like to know the same thing. I really want Graphite, but the premium is a bit rediculous. I don't like Storm Ti as much, but might be worth a second look.
Kind of reminds of me of the TVR paint options: basic, metallic, pearlescent, chameleon, reflex, star mist and cascade paint. Of course then you have to pick your colour (or colours) and since you can almost choice any colour in existence.... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts