The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, just picked up my car today and have a few question for other Elige owners.

FWI: this car has the touring pack.

1) Should the car have a tool for removing the top? I'll go to the hardware store to get one, but figure they would provide a tool for this? Bought a this at lowes. Does not come with the right tip but man does it work nice.

2) I was jipped my cup holder! I think they are 300 new, any one know how to make one? I could if I had it in hand but going off pictures does not help. Going to consider one of the suggestions.

3) I'm missing one top cover. the cover you remove to get at the release screws for the top. Can I get one of these. link to replacement.

4)The seat belt pulley on the drivers side is coming apart, can I replace that?

5) one section of star shield is chipped up. I thought the SS was front only? This covers the car all over, can I buy just part of the shield? Anyone have removing install instructions.

6) Anyone know how to extend the range on that key-less entry. Fixed to 80 feet ;)

This is all petty I know but I'm only curious. There is only one major flaw in the Elise, Gas tank is on the wrong side :facepalm

Uber thread. So searching for uber just gets you a lot of posts about this so called uber thread, so since it was hard to find I'll add it here.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
1. Yes, it should be in the small pouch with the small front tow ring. Sounds like you don't have that - and yes, you can get one at a hardware store. I got a 1/4 drive one and an adapter for my cordless screw gun. Also get a short extension if you go that route to have space between it and the drill. Zip zip zip and mine is off in a jiff.

2. There are many many threads on cup holder options, please don't start another here.

3. Yup, you can get anything like that at eliseparts.com

4. See #3

5. Not sure exactly what you mean, Lotus Starshield covers the nose and mirrors (from what I know) but in reality it's just Clearbra. I removed mine and had it redone by a local shop. I doubt you could "fix" just a little piece like you describe, you'll most likely have to remove it all and have it replaced. I'd guess between $500-750 to have that done professionally, if you did "all" the pieces. By "all" I don't mean the whole car but the nose, mirrors, rockers, leading edge of the roof and behind the rear wheels (near where mud flaps would be).

6. Yes, this is in the Uberpost. Search is your friend, several topics on it.

One tip - if you're using the search here you're doing it wrong. Go to Google and type in "site:lotustalk.com SEARCH TERMS HERE" and you'll get far better results.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
She might appreciate it if you said some good things too :)

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rosscarlson, thx for the answers. I figured to post everything in one shot so I can look back. I would normally not start a post without a search but this is more like a one time run through.

She might appreciate it if you said some good things too
Are you kidding, my wrist would be in pain?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
sell the hard top for a quick $1100, use those funds to partially finance the cupholder.. :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah you know I considered that. I really like the soft top but damn does the yellow top look nice. Unless there is no top, and well things are better topless.

Too be honest I was going to look/search for after market quick pop off top but figure it was a waste of time. All of my t-top were so much easier then this.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Lotus is a targa top. It's always going to be a pain in the ass to remove the hardtop. It should have a star shaped tool to remove it. Check the battery cover in the trunk on the left hand side, there's a small slot next to it that is to hold the tools. It's usually in a small red folded pouch. Don't just pull on the star shield, sometimes if it's old enough, it will pull off your paint in chips. Some people have good luck using a steamer to remove it. There are many professionals installers near you that can remove it for you though. If you want to a cheap cup holder option, look up the Darth holder. Lotusgarage.com has every OEM part you'll ever need.

And here's the link to the antenna mod: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320/increase-range-your-remote-17002/

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi ulao,

Since you have the plastic center console (like I did) and want a cupholder, you might consider killing two birds with one stone. I just had my console recovered by yellow99s and the finished product is outstanding. Big upgrade to the interior and the most functional/aesthetic cupholder upgrade IMO.

Not my tunnel, but you get the idea.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/fs-storm-trooper-leather-cup-holder-console-110399/

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey James!I was considering an upgrade there ( could not find much on searching). I have also been searching for a sill ( arm wrest ) replacement. I have looked under the sills yet so I dont know what under there but man that would be a nice place to put a few compartments.

thx JohnHanson1976 didnt see that in your post first time reading it. Nice as-well.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Pain in the ass to remove the hardtop? I'm can't mine on and off in about 90 seconds.

You MUST have this:

And get the appropriately sized torx bit (get a small set of bits at Harbor Freight for like 2 cents).

Makes life easy.

As for the gas tank - my new daily driver - Audi S4 - also has it on the right/passenger side, so I don't need to keep track...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, I didnt go that extreme see my post ( edited above ) .

5. Not sure exactly what you mean, Lotus Starshield covers the nose and mirrors (from what I know) but in reality it's just Clearbra.

Its the same stuff as up front going all the way around the car?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Instead of a cup holder I just store a plastic bottle at floor level to the left of the driver's seat. It is in the gap towards the rear of the seat.

There is a similar spot on the passenger side.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you in the states or out of the country. For North America, Lotus offers Star Shield (a brand of clear bra) that covers a quarter of the front of the car (just past the headlights), side view mirrors, rocker panels and rear of the car. If you have a rock chip then it did its job by not penetrating the paint. If it bothers you, there's plenty of shops that can install a new film for you however there's no fixing it but rather replacing it.

LOL, I didnt go that extreme see my post ( edited above ) .

Its the same stuff as up front going all the way around the car?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts