The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been busy lately but have got glimpses of threads reporting problems with their new cars. have there been several "bugs" or just a few easily solvable inconviences? yea i know im not buying it for its reliability

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
On my car, the engine seized, the driver's door fell off, and the carpeting erupted in spontaneous combustion. And that was just the first trip.

OK, seriously: I'm hearing a metallic clunking noise over some bumps, esp. when turning. Sounds like it's coming from the front end, under the car, but can't be sure. But it may just be normal -- not sure. I'm not too concerned.

On pre-delivery inspection, one of the parking lights wasn't working, cause it wasn't plugged in.

I think that's about it, at this point, thank goodness! Build quality is very impressive. :D

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Tech_KO had a low idle and a loose battery terminal that blocked the car from starting.

The Symbolic demo car lost a parking light flange by going over a bump (flexing?), no contact or anything.

Someone else almost had a nephew injured when he rubbed up against the door...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
After 71 miles, my right rear turn signal has stopped working. I haven't had time to check to see if it's just the bulb (but I suspect that it is).:D

Tim Mullen

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Does the car have bulb-out warnings of some kind? The usual strange blinking action when you select the directional side with the problem? Warning lights in the dash?

Stan

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So far I've had a minor problem with Low idle (stalled twice) and the button for the interior light that is activated by the drivers door has fallen inside.

When the first service comes up I'll get that fixed. At the moment it's a non issue.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Stan said:
Does the car have bulb-out warnings of some kind? The usual strange blinking action when you select the directional side with the problem?
The light starts blinking really fast - pretty unmistakable. One direction is a nice normal blink rate, and the other is about three-four times faster. The old, really low tech way, but I knew immediately.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
smura said:
When's the official unveiling of your CO beauty. Would love to see CO up close and personal!
You are about the third request. I'm going to try to talk my wife into allowing a view at the house this weekend...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
TimMullen said:
You are about the third request. I'm going to try to talk my wife into allowing a view at the house this weekend...

Tim Mullen
Come by the autox at rosecroft this weekend. :) I met tim and saw his elise as he was picking it up at chriswell. The orange really did look great in the sun, and I was glad to get a chance to see the non-touring interior. Looks great, so I'm still happy with my current order, and convinced that the wait will be worth it. :)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I found out what was wrong with my turn signal. The bulb was okay, so I to really lean over the rear of the car to get my head down into the trunk with my trouble light in hand. That's when I noticed that one of the connectors had come unplugged. Plugged it back in, and everything worked just fine.

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to keep the top and it's bag from sliding around back there and hitting the wiring again...

By the way, the trunk is actually very large. It's not just the opening that you see with the hatch lifted - the space goes all the way to the rear and sides. You probably could get someone in there if they could fit through the opening. It will be necessary to make sure that things don't slide around in there, because something hard hitting the sides could put a crack in the fiberglass...:huh:

Tim Mullen

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I used to carry the car cover in my MR2's trunk and this worked to fill a lot of the empty space.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I was commenting on this exact issue at Symbolic -- the trunk is really unencapsulated -- the rear lights, wiring, lenses, are all directly accessible from the floor of the trunk, and anything sliding around in there could do more damage than just knocking wires loose.

I've never seen this before, since usually there is some cavity enclosure in the trunk. Something heavy like a spare battery or ammo can could do a lot of damage sliding around back there.

I see more Sector111 opportunities. :) Trunk Shields! Boot Liners! Light Caps!

I'm planning on mounting some velcro straps in the trunk to hold the folded top/bag, since that's where it will spend most of its time.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ground Loop said:
I Something heavy like a spare battery or ammo
:huh: Remind me not to drive behind you! :D

The first couple of days, I was putting the rolled-up soft top back there, not in the bag. But I quickly learned that that wasn't a good idea, cause the plastic ends (that go over the windows) were starting to get scratched, presumably from rubbing up against the bulb wiring/plugs/etc. in the trunk.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Ground Loop said:
I've never seen this before, since usually there is some cavity enclosure in the trunk. Something heavy like a spare battery or ammo can could do a lot of damage sliding around back there.
It's quite common on early Elans to see stress cracks in the rear fenders from things hitting on the inside...

Early Miatas also tend to get hit from the inside on the left rear - there's nothing there to protect the inner side of the fender (except my "shower cap" on my Miata).

I think I'll be adding some Velcro straps or at least some type of hold down straps. The "Fix-A-Flat can is hung pretty well from some clamps in the upper right front of the boot, however. And the small tool kit also attaches to the boot's liner with Velcro so it doesn't slide around.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ground Loop said:

Something heavy like a spare battery or ammo can could do a lot of damage sliding around back there.
I would think you would keep the ammo can in the passenger compartment, in case you need to reload. :D

Greg

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Racer X said:
I would think you would keep the ammo can in the passenger compartment, in case you need to reload. :D
I just checked the Texas regional forum, and was surprised that there aren't any disussions on how to install a gun rack in an Elise! :p

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
ConeFusion said:
I just checked the Texas regional forum, and was surprised that there aren't any disussions on how to install a gun rack in an Elise! :p
We don't need one, there is already a holster between the seats for our revolvers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts