The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all: been looking at the evora. haven't driven one yet but I took a good up close look at the red MY 12 IPC in houston. (I have a couple short videos of it if anyone is interested. seems like a clean car, but the guy was vague about the two past title owners; something about they're related)

Last year I sold my ferrari 308 GT4 which is one of the few prior 4 seat mid engine sports cars and I miss the driving experience of that car, and that's the main reason I'm looking at the evora, I've also got a 928 S4 which I"ll sell if I get an evora. (also have two mid 60's classics)

anyway I have a couple questions as I look deeper into buying an evora.

I noticed that lotus got a 12 month extension to fix the air bag problem, (and a recent recall for switching the labels on them) which extension expires early 2014. I also recall that the elises arent' imported anymore because of similiar issue. But there's not much talk about the evora issue.
If they don't fix it, does that mean the evora goes the way of the elise, that they stop importing them?

relatedly, I noticed that some of the dealers are bailing on the brand.
I assume it's because of low volume and most dealers that carry it
are big dollar car dealers which makes evora sales more of rounding errors.
Was wondering if the possible future non-importability might also be an issue?

that becomes as issue for warranty work, especially in areas with few dealers (which is everywhere except socal.)

I contacted abe who is very knowledgable and seems like a very good guy, and I'm going to fly down there to test a few out.

I'm inclined to go for a stick, since I don't need it to commute and it's just basically something fun for the back roads of norcal and napa and maybe up around the mountains, though I can see taking it to San Francisco, Napa or other places for trips.
will only put a few thousand miles a year on it, at best.

another question: any garages in the sacramento or vacaville/farfield area that can work on them if I go the route of a non warrantied car or maybe want a tune? I live in Davis, and for non warranty work would prefer not having to go into SFO and also to a place that sells and services six figure cars which don't always start with a 1, 2 or 3.

regards
rick jaffe

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
There are two dealers in the Bay area. Dieschwerks is opening a second shop in Vacaville soon and knows our cars well. And by the way, welcome!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
new enthusiast

There are two dealers in the Bay area. Dieschwerks is opening a second shop in Vacaville soon and knows our cars well. And by the way, welcome!
makes a big difference. vacaville is only 20 minutes away from me in davis. thanks

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Yes, Welcome.
With the support here and from others, I don't think dealer service is much of an issue. (I did say "much") Like many exclusive brands -Alfa Romeo & Fiat most recently - factory involvement peaks and wanes but the dealerships realize this and continue to service these brands during the down times.
U. C. Davis, Graduate - Go Aggies!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
+1 for Dietsch Werks. I'm thinking of someday going up there to check out their new Vacaville location. From what Rob tells me, its quite large compared to their San Jose location.

Maybe someday when I'm up there and you're free, you can show me some roads in the Davis area.

·
Registered
952 Posts
SoCal doesn't have many dealers either; only Galpin and Orange County. However, the Lotus community is a great resource and honestly these cars are pretty simple. Most of the issues can be worked out by yourself or some friends bribed with beer and dinner.

Let's do that Davis trip as a group someday.

·
Registered
937 Posts
+1 for Dietsch Werks. I'm thinking of someday going up there to check out their new Vacaville location. From what Rob tells me, its quite large compared to their San Jose location.

Maybe someday when I'm up there and you're free, you can show me some roads in the Davis area.
I've also heard about him opening another shop in vacaville. I'd go there before San Fran. anyday.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've also heard about him opening another shop in vacaville. I'd go there before San Fran. anyday.
Pretty scary to think about taking a car I own to a shop that mostly fixes bentleys and Lamborghinis. I'd prefer another option, even for routine and even warranty service.

As to roads, haven't done much driving here since I only moved here awhile ago, but a good one seem to be winters to st Helena via lake berryessa.
That will surely be my first trip in a lotus.
Probably fairly good in my 928. So if you guys want to arrange something, I'm in, probably with my 928 but I also have an old stingray which is fun in a different way,(even with an upgraded suspension it still turns like crap, can't fool physics)
Finally drove an evora s Ips. A lot of fun but I think I'd prefer a manual.
The place in Austin I did a test drive sells bentleys and AMs. First time I've ever been in that type of dealership. I was alittle intimidated seeing so many cars out of my price range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts