The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll be picking up a new 2008 S2000 CR next week and I have a question regarding the age of the engine oil. I've posted on the S2Ki forum but I also wanted to post it here because I really value the feedback from a lot of members here.

The car has been sitting in the showroom all this time and it has not been driven (< 10 miles). The build date of the car must be around the fall of 2007 so that means the engine oil in the car is close to 2 years old. I want to ask the dealer to change the oil before pick up but I'm sure they will not have the special Honda "break in oil". Should I ask them to change it anyway and then add something like Valvoline MaxLife Engine Protector on my own or should I just keep the original oil. If I keep the original oil, should I change it out at the recommened 7500 miles? I can't imagine using 2 year old oil for 7500 miles could be a good thing no matter how "special" it is.

Edit: Valvoline MaxLife Engine Protector is no longer produced and so is the Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment. Where can one get a cheap helping of moly and ZDDP and other good stuff :mad:

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The only thing here I can say, that may be useful to you, is that oil does not degrade by not being used, as in a stationary engine. There is one exception to this, and that is water absorption, from condensation.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
88 Posts
I see your in basking ridge N.J , Just wondering are you buying the s2k from bridgewater acura ? If so i highly suggest you search elsewhere ,If your buying from ba i guarantee you its a lemon. Please take my advice and look elsewhere

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my big concern is the oil degrading and absorbing moisture since its been sitting in the engine for close to 2 years. Different than 2 yrs old engine oil in a sealed container.

The car is new from a Honda dealer out of state.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I had 2 year oil in my car, with approx. 5k miles, had a sample sent to a lab and the results were 0% water.
Michael
Yeah, my big concern is the oil degrading and absorbing moisture since its been sitting in the engine for close to 2 years. Different than 2 yrs old engine oil in a sealed container.

The car is new from a Honda dealer out of state.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
keep in mind that the crankcase is essentially a sealed container...
not much breathing in it.
also, the temperature in the showroom is fairly constant, hence not much breathing.
the break-in process is important til the rings, etc seat.
don't rush to the new oil too much.

congrats on the car.
sam

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I feel much better now. I'll keep the oil but not until Honda's recommended 7500 miles. I'll probably change it out to dino oil around 3500 miles and then synthetic after 10000 miles.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
wait - are you keeping your Lotus?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Of course! Thats a dumb question :thwack: :D

I just drove my Exige today. So far this year I only put around 200 miles on her. I know I know.....
The Lotus is truly a very special car. The S2000 CR feels kind of special also. I test drove the 370Z. Very good car but not special. There are not many special cars out there for our kind. Enjoy your Lotus :shift:

·
Registered
88 Posts
not sure if your interested but theres a black s2k for sale in highland park nj. Sorry i forgot the dealer name but hp is just a main st,So if you happen to cruise through youll see it

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Sorry.....I disagree with all of you. If you have someone on here that for sure is an expert on this..then I will bow to his expertise...but until then I have to tell you of my experience.

Change the oil. I believe that Oil does degrade after it hits the air. It is not a sealed container. Air is in there. It is touching metal...it is sitting in the different cavities. Now it is not as bad as the car having a thousand miles on it...but I would change it.

Even if you dont drive a car...you still should change the oil on a car every six months.

I have bought several cars over the years with low mileage that the owners only did like 2 oil changes over the 5 years they owed the car. Cars had less than 4Kmiles on them.
There were issues with rings...deposits..etc.

Edit..and I have a real problem with the testing labs. I sent in my oil and everything came back ok......Drove the car less than 100 miles and put it away for the winter. In the spring I put on a SC and for the hell of it checked for cam wear while I had it apart. Cams were worn...very worn. Nothing showed up in the testing.....so I am starting to question the testing labs.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Well Tony, I have to say I do trust the results I got from my lab, and the results prove that "time" alone does not degrade oil, only actual "use" by being run in an engine in a "shear" condition, breaking down the viscosity and absorbing contaminants does that.
Cheers,
Michael
Sorry.....I disagree with all of you. If you have someone on here that for sure is an expert on this..then I will bow to his expertise...but until then I have to tell you of my experience.

Change the oil. I believe that Oil does degrade after it hits the air. It is not a sealed container. Air is in there. It is touching metal...it is sitting in the different cavities. Now it is not as bad as the car having a thousand miles on it...but I would change it.

Even if you dont drive a car...you still should change the oil on a car every six months.

I have bought several cars over the years with low mileage that the owners only did like 2 oil changes over the 5 years they owed the car. Cars had less than 4Kmiles on them.
There were issues with rings...deposits..etc.

Edit..and I have a real problem with the testing labs. I sent in my oil and everything came back ok......Drove the car less than 100 miles and put it away for the winter. In the spring I put on a SC and for the hell of it checked for cam wear while I had it apart. Cams were worn...very worn. Nothing showed up in the testing.....so I am starting to question the testing labs.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I understand. I can only give you my experiences.

While I am willing to concide the oil issue as I am not an expert on that....I cannot resolve the fact that my car lost quite a bit of "lobe" and it did not show up in the oil test.

I cannot see how that would be possible.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Doing some quick research. It appears that oil with additives has a slight amount of caustic agents that can break down.

Also I remember that there was a time when the insides of the filter would break down over time. Dont know if that applies any more.

For the cost of an oil change/filter.....why not just do it?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I'm not concerned with the cost of changing the oil but rather Honda insists that they use a special break-in oil and it shouldn't be replaced until 7500 miles. A lot of people say there is no special break-in oil while others insist there is :shrug:. Thats the confusing part. Since you can't buy this special oil, I don't know whether to leave the original oil or have them change it out and hence the post.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Well, I'm not concerned with the cost of changing the oil but rather Honda insists that they use a special break-in oil and it shouldn't be replaced until 7500 miles. A lot of people say there is no special break-in oil while others insist there is :shrug:. Thats the confusing part. Since you can't buy this special oil, I don't know whether to leave the original oil or have them change it out and hence the post.
if Honda is warranting the engine, I think you have no choice then. If Honda says that they need a special break in oil, then you probably do. I would tend to think that Honda knows what it is doing.
Why dont you call the Honda rep and see if you can get them to supply the oil needed since the car has been sitting for 2 years.

I would get a second opinion from Honda directly.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Whew.....ok I can sleep soundly now. :clap::coolnana: :up:

Of course! Thats a dumb question :thwack: :D

I just drove my Exige today. So far this year I only put around 200 miles on her. I know I know.....
The Lotus is truly a very special car. The S2000 CR feels kind of special also. I test drove the 370Z. Very good car but not special. There are not many special cars out there for our kind. Enjoy your Lotus :shift:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts