The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new roof I have developed with a local (Minnesota) carbon race shop. I will be opening a new thread in the for sale forum early next week but I wanted to get some info. and pics. up now.

The part is wet laid carbon fibre with a carbon/kevlar composite inner structure and weighs in at 9lbs. It attaches in the factory locations and includes the seals for the windows.

The photos show the roof on my friends car (fastpapaw in this forum) as my lotus is still in bits.

The price will be around $2,900.

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Nice.... do you have any bigger pictures ?? -poke-:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More photos

More pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice.... do you have any bigger pictures ?? -poke-:D
Yep, sorry for the size! I had the wrong setting on my camera and don't know enough to resize them on the computer!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very sweet! Also, it squeaks and rattles a lot less than my factory roof.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Very purrrrty indeed!!!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
wow i didnt know any minnesota shops made carbon fiber. too bad its not for my elise. looks like it is very good quality though

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
That looks like very good quality work.

What do you use to clue some of the parts together?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Hmmm... well, you get what you pay for. :shrug:

This is the inside of a Prototype Composites Exige roof... judge for yourself. (Don't ask me, ask Mike he is "Composites" here on Elise Talk.)

[Full disclosure: I buy stuff from Mike... he's not the cheapest, just the best.]

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
looks great, just way to expensive for my pocket book, none the less great job developing the roof for the exige, gives us more options. I read a post here before how some guys roof flew off of his car, while he was driving to the track. Seems like this might be perfect for him.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I assume lighter roofs are for racing purposes so...does either roof fit the Lotus Sport roll cage?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That scoop looks different than the factory version. The factory has some lines that taper into the larger front mohawk at the rear of the roof. This one looks continuous from front to back.

I wonder why the factory didn't design theirs like that?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Hmmm... well, you get what you pay for. :shrug:

This is the inside of a Prototype Composites Exige roof... judge for yourself. (Don't ask me, ask Mike he is "Composites" here on Elise Talk.)

[Full disclosure: I buy stuff from Mike... he's not the cheapest, just the best.]
no question on quality, but wet lay carbon for $2900 does seem a bit high

any info on weight savings over the OEM roof?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Looks great - now I just need an Exige :drool:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
no question on quality, but wet lay carbon for $2900 does seem a bit high

any info on weight savings over the OEM roof?

The Prototype Composites roof is *not* wet lay, it is vacuum infused. Big difference. I believe it is covered on another thread so I won't try to repeat it here.

Stock roof is about 22.5 lbs, 11.4 lbs for the carbon fiber roof. I believe retail is $3488 for the roof, not $2900.

Thomas

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The Prototype Composites roof is *not* wet lay, it is vacuum infused. Big difference. I believe it is covered on another thread so I won't try to repeat it here.

Stock roof is about 22.5 lbs, 11.4 lbs for the carbon fiber roof. I believe retail is $3488 for the roof, not $2900.

Thomas
The part is wet laid carbon fibre with a carbon/kevlar composite inner structure and weighs in at 9lbs. It attaches in the factory locations and includes the seals for the windows.

The photos show the roof on my friends car (fastpapaw in this forum) as my lotus is still in bits.

The price will be around $2,900.
:shrug:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts