The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At long last, and after a nauseating number of mistakes and iterations, we've finally come up with what I feel is a very elegant solution to the rear wing on S2 Exiges. Also in these series of pictures are the side pods, rear diffuser, splitter and chin spoiler. Descriptions will get lengthy, so I'll concentrate on one piece for each post. First, the rear wing and end plate setup:

DSC_0680_2.jpg

The end plates, made of solid carbon fiber, bolt on to the existing Exige rear wing and stabilize that flappy thing with the two 'feet' on either side that nest on to the rear clam with a rubber sheet on the bottom of the end plate to protect the clam. The upper element is from the mold we have for Ayrton Senna's Toleman race car. The uppper element is adjustable.

I cannot emphasize enough how much these end plates stabilize the rear wing. Rather than having this thing braced by the engine cover, ( one hinge and one latch located at a pivot axis around the center of the wing), the assembly is stabilized on the rear clam by these feet.

Price of the end plates and upper wing element is $1740.00, delivery in 14 days from receipt of down payment. By the way, we don't miss deadlines.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Looks like a lot of nice work, but the style is not for me...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few more of the wing assembly:
[/ATTACH]

The first pic shows the chin spoiler and the splitter, you can see the side skirts as well. The second pic emphasizes that you can still access the engine without any obstruction or modification.

This wing is now effective. Its aerodynamic losses resulting from the wing flapping back and forth have been transformed to usable AND adjustable downforce.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I think it is awesome that you are making something useful and not bling! Probably a bit aggressive for most owners but a track junkie will dig this... So, How about an affordable Diffuser now? I believe the stabilizing "Feet" will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the diffuser:

Here's the 9-element diffuser we've made. These will not be made available for another 30 days as I'm still negotiating with a distributor. Price TBD.

This is definitely designed for the track bound user and not to impress the bling types. One never wants to barf on something that just handily passed them on the track........
DSC_0676_2.jpg

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What are the numbers for this new wing? Cd, Cl, etc....

·
Registered
396 Posts
More pics and info on the side skirts. Does it require any drilling? Will it fit on the Elise?

Regarding the wing, won't the paint on the clam get marred/scratched from the endplates?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
From a pure aesthetics's pov, the wing is ugly. Would be interesting to see wind tunnel numbers, though.

However, I'm digging the diffuser and side skirts! :clap:

In any case, good to see more products on the market! :up:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More pics and info on the side skirts. Does it require any drilling? Will it fit on the Elise?

Regarding the wing, won't the paint on the clam get marred/scratched from the endplates?
Don't know about the Elise, anyone want to drive one by?

Drilling? yes.

The end plates have 1/8" thick rubber sheets bonded to them.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
how much advantage was/is there to doing a double-decker vs. just using a single that is raised up to a higher elevation and using the same style of end plates, resting on the body to brace it?

wouldn't extending the width (side to side) of the wing have more benfit than adding a second layer? the ends would be out in much less obstructed air flow then... i'm asking from a aerodynamics point of view, not just aesthetics. I truely am curious as to the decision making progress as airflow stuff sometimes completely baffles me.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Any thoughts of offering it in a single story version with different endplates?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Also: No canards? :huh: With the aero that's been put into the car, I'm surprised you don't have canards on it.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts