The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to installing the new carpet this last weekend. A few weeks ago had begun removal process.

Removal
Started with the passenger side, removing seat, cubby hole pocket thingy attached to firewall and tunnel side piece.

Looking back the removal is much, MUCH more time consuming than the installation.. BY A LONG SHOT!

When removing the carpet I found some was glued directly to the fiberglass shell while in other spots they put down different types of foam padding.

For the carpet attached directly (mostly under the seat) I found the fastest method was to simply tear it out as best I could. Much of the fibers were left behind and after various methods found that a heat gun set to high singed them to where they could be easily scraped off with a sharp putty type knife.

For the areas where their was padding found two types of padding.

Firewall was similar to what is used in homes, left behind chunks of padding behind passenger seat but on the drivers peeled right off the padding. Weird.. The padding also has a thin rubbery membrane. So, on passenger side had to replace the padding.

On the tunnel the padding used is similar to yellow foam used in upholestery. Heat gun had no effect, best method I ended up using was a stiff wire brush at an angle to brush off with much effort.

Once it was all removed, vacuumed up and cleaned I laid down a layer of dynomat and then some foam my carpet guy got for me. Its around 1/4 or so thick, mostly smooth on one side and open cell on the other. I laid down the open cell side using 3M Super 90 spray glue, masking off surrounding areas for overspray.

Only took a couple pics so far, waiting on a couple more small pieces of carpet my carpet guy is sending this week and some more of the black foam.

Will post more pics this weekend. Overall I can say the carpet looks LIGHT YEARS better, better color and MUCH higher quality than what Lotus used from the factory.

Got the carpet from the same guy who made the floor mats from a while back in the group buy.

Porsche Carpet Sets Classic 9 leather Shop

The carpet I got is the Lite Palomino, matches interior very well!

Imported German Finetuft Velour Mercedes Carpet

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
what did he charge for the kit? does he have the paterns, can you just contact and let him know it's an esprit?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what did he charge for the kit? does he have the paterns, can you just contact and let him know it's an esprit?
Yes, he kept as pattern for future uses. I spent approx $750 BUT that was with the most expensive carpet he has, well worth it but there are lower cost types he carries. A lot of $? Yup.. But wow, it puts the OEM carpet to shame...

I'll post pics when get back to working on it this weekend..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Oh damn, I love reading your mod threads.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh damn, I love reading your mod threads.
Thanks! It really was amazing how much the dynamat reduced resonance and drum like echoes and such. Did a few spots and then tapped a piece of wood and metal to treated and untreated was easy for the ear to detect the drastically reduced sound eminated.

Did the inside and outside of the speaker enclosures on the firewall, they were basically a metal oil drum before the dynamat!

Hoping as well too will reduce heat introduced into the cabin.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
If it's the same material as the custom mats, it's excellent quality and as Kenny said, puts OEM to shame. I have his mats and it felt really gross putting the mats on the OEM carpet. :(

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's the same material as the custom mats, it's excellent quality and as Kenny said, puts OEM to shame. I have his mats and it felt really gross putting the mats on the OEM carpet. :(
Yes, exact same carpet!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Progress.. albeit slow. Finished up carpet install on passenger side minus part under the seat) and firewall.

Remaining items:
- Removal of carpet in drivers side footwell on left (rest already removed)
- Lay down dynamat on drivers side and then foam pad
- Spray glue and lay carpet

After that only remaining item is waiting on the pieces to go under the seats and then will be done.. were supposed to be here today but FedEx says not till Monday.. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Pictures do not give it justice compared to OEM. I also had the edges binded on many of the pieces (not all visible in the photo). The holes for seatbelts and parking brake are leather surrounded. Includes new leather boot for park brake as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOO HOO! Last bits arrived today! Only things left are running by Lowes to get a grommet tool and some metal grommets (going to put them in where the bolts for the seat go through) for the square piece in photo below. Went ahead and had the edges bound/binded? for pieces under seats as well.

Went ahead and got new set of floor mats too... :) that way have an extra set..

I'll post pics of the completed install without the seats then with later..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DONE! And glad to have it over with! Not to dissuade anyone but removal and install is a drawn out process. In spite of that am extremely happy with the results.

Asked guy for pricing on kits and he replied:
The floor mats with the embroidery that we have already done on the German Finetuft velour are $200

The carpet set in the same material is $799

Keep in mind those prices are using the most expensive grade of carpet he has. He can also do different logos on the mats.

Note that the yellowish tint in one of them is not the carpet but my phone camera + my crappy photog skills... Still need to vacuum and brush the carpet too.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
DONE! And glad to have it over with! Not to dissuade anyone but removal and install is a drawn out process. In spite of that am extremely happy with the results.

Asked guy for pricing on kits and he replied:
The floor mats with the embroidery that we have already done on the German Finetuft velour are $200

The carpet set in the same material is $799

Keep in mind those prices are using the most expensive grade of carpet he has. He can also do different logos on the mats.

Note that the yellowish tint in one of them is not the carpet but my phone camera + my crappy photog skills... Still need to vacuum and brush the carpet too.
Man that really looks nice!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts