The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My carpet and floor mats got soaked recently in my Elise and it stunk like a dead rat in a dumpster! I ripped it all out of the car and its fine now. The problem is the floor mats are quite out of shape and honestly, they still stink a little even after washing them. Here's the question: is there an aftermarket auto carpet place anyone knows about? I wouldn't mind cutting the carpet to size (sound deadening material Lotus calls it) and making floor mats. Anyone ever do that? Should I just get OEM? Any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I bought this rubber runner by the yard from The Home Depot and custom cut it to exactly fit. The purpose in my case was to protect the carpets.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
My carpet and floor mats got soaked recently in my Elise and it stunk like a dead rat in a dumpster! I ripped it all out of the car and its fine now. The problem is the floor mats are quite out of shape and honestly, they still stink a little even after washing them. Here's the question: is there an aftermarket auto carpet place anyone knows about? I wouldn't mind cutting the carpet to size (sound deadening material Lotus calls it) and making floor mats. Anyone ever do that? Should I just get OEM? Any advice is appreciated
I use my Elise as a grocery getter and due to some spirited driving a package of butter came out of the bag and was not detected until it melted all over the carpet and stank. Pressure washing did not help. I ended up buying replacement carpet. With OEM you don't have to worry about if it will fit or not. Expensive mistake but at least it looks and fits well now.

·
Registered
459 Posts
From the manual:

NOTICE: Use only correctly retained Lotus approved carpet
mats in the footwells. Floor coverings made from plastic or other
non-breathable materials may trap moisture and initiate surface
corrosion of the footwell floors. Any damage caused by the use
of incorrect mats will not be covered by your Limited Warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts