The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw my first new Challenger in the flesh tonight, guy brought it out to a local Monday night cruise-in.

Very underwhelming. I think the concept car captured the look of the original better. This thing sits up too high, looks too narrow, profile isn't quite right, and of course weighs two tons.

I think these initial cars with the Hemis will sell out and raise interest level for awhile, but I doubt they will be able to give away the 6 cylinder cars if/when they ever come to market.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Saw my first new Challenger in the flesh tonight, guy brought it out to a local Monday night cruise-in.

Very underwhelming. I think the concept car captured the look of the original better. This thing sits up too high, looks too narrow, profile isn't quite right, and of course weighs two tons.

I think these initial cars with the Hemis will sell out and raise interest level for awhile, but I doubt they will be able to give away the 6 cylinder cars if/when they ever come to market.
Ha. That's funny. Every person I've talked to about the new Challenger has said the exact same thing. I've seen it (there were two of them at Supercar Sunday this weekend) and I completely agree. They blew it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
And... isn't this thing over 4000 pounds? I think that is indicative of very poor or lazy design. This thing is supposed to be a performance car not a bloated cruiser. Oh, well what did I expect from Chrysler?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
i saw a black metallic one with grey metallic stripes...
paint looked good, car looked cool.

chrysler has to sell these to the general public.
right, wrong, or somewhere in between, most folks dont care abt what a car weighs or its slalom speed, or how many cornering g's it achieves.
i know this will come as a shock, but most people could give a rats azz whether it can autocross or not. imagine that!
the car is built to drive everyday in all kinds of weather and climate and not cost 12k dollars if someone taps it in a parking garage. most folks also like some comfort from the car they drive everyday. that means a useable trunk, an HVAC system that keeps them cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and comfortable in the seat.

note....the engineers acknowledged the car is heavy and said thats the nature of the beast to get it through all the safety/dot regs and still maintain its price point. who knows?

nice looking car....im sure it will sell well.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I saw one yesterday too. Black with lots of silver-ish pin stripes in place of hood stripes. Looked pretty cool. Not my cup of tea, but one of the better looking American cars, imo.

I kinda like that it's a little understated. I like the proportions much better than the Magnum/Charger.. It's kinda like what those cars should have been all along.

Of course, I would never own one, but... I've seen much worse from Detroit.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i saw a black metallic one with grey metallic stripes...
paint looked good, car looked cool.

chrysler has to sell these to the general public.
right, wrong, or somewhere in between, most folks dont care abt what a car weighs or its slalom speed, or how many cornering g's it achieves.
i know this will come as a shock, but most people could give a rats azz whether it can autocross or not. imagine that!
the car is built to drive everyday in all kinds of weather and climate and not cost 12k dollars if someone taps it in a parking garage. most folks also like some comfort from the car they drive everyday. that means a useable trunk, an HVAC system that keeps them cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and comfortable in the seat.

note....the engineers acknowledged the car is heavy and said thats the nature of the beast to get it through all the safety/dot regs and still maintain its price point. who knows?

nice looking car....im sure it will sell well.
Agree to disagree. The V8's initially will sell well, until the novelty wears off, which it will quickly. The V6's probably won't sell at all. There really is nothing remarkable about this car, it's a Charger underneath.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts