The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=125288

So basically...

260 hp, 260 lb-ft of torque. I imagine this is the same engine being offered by that company as a conversion for Elises/Exiges :p

Quicker than a Mazdaspeed3 or even a Porsche Boxster. 14.0 second 1/4 mile at 104 mph trap speed.

Edmunds claims it even handles really well.

Less than $25k.

Sounds like a bargain.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
And it actually looks good! The Cobalt is a popular platform for modification. One of my wife's employees has a Cobalt that he's modified quite heavily. There's apparently a good supply of after-market stuff for them. Every time I stop by work to say hi to my wife, he and I end up checking out the latest additions to his ride. Maybe Chevy's noticed-it looks like they've taken the best of the tuner stuff and made one of their own.

Tom

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
260bhp is probably close to the limit of a properly setup FWD car for road racing, maybe 300bhp being the absolute limit. I too have heard good things about the handling on the new Cobalt SS. However, truth is on a road course, FWD cars will never be able to be competitive beyond the touring car classes.

That's why I made my Focus RWD rotfl

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
260bhp is probably close to the limit of a properly setup FWD car for road racing, maybe 300bhp being the absolute limit.
Yup... my Altima SE-R is 260hp stock and when you accelerate hard it really does go all over the place... and that is a big car. In a small car I can imagine it being even more erratic.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yup... my Altima SE-R is 260hp stock and when you accelerate hard it really does go all over the place... and that is a big car. In a small car I can imagine it being even more erratic.
Well I meant for that weight class. With a midsize car like the Altima you can probably put more horses into it provided that the suspension and tires are properly set up.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
260bhp is probably close to the limit of a properly setup FWD car for road racing, maybe 300bhp being the absolute limit. I too have heard good things about the handling on the new Cobalt SS. However, truth is on a road course, FWD cars will never be able to be competitive beyond the touring car classes.

That's why I made my Focus RWD rotfl
Costas' M100 Elan rates at 362hp (437hp w NOS)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
"Putting this much power in a front wheel drive car has a name, it's called the chaos theory."

See 2:55 or so for a torque steer demonstration.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xDZonrA2Dw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xDZonrA2Dw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It also has a "no lift shift" feature which is exactly what it sounds like; you have 3/10ths of a second to shift gears with your foot slammed on the gas to keep boost levels up :p

It also has LAUNCH control that they actually encourage you to use. They put a really strong clutch in there.

So sure, maybe FWD isn't the best for a sports car, but this is really a little econo box, and look at all that comes with it.

I don't know, I'd put it on my list somewhere :p

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great little sport compact for that price. It certainly beats out all the other FWD compact cars in that price range.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
finally a ricer for the white boys. rotfl:p

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I am taking one of these Cobalt SS's on a road trip next week :cool:

finally a ricer for the white boys. rotfl:p

:no: Don't forget about the Neon SRT-4 and Caliber SRT-4

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I am taking one of these Cobalt SS's on a road trip next week :cool:

:no: Don't forget about the Neon SRT-4 and Caliber SRT-4
By all accounts the Caliber SRT-4 isn't much and is an extremely poor/disappointing substitute/replacement for the Neon SRT-4. All the magazines (for what that's worth) pretty much see the Caliber, even in SRT-4 form, as a waste of metal, plastic, and rubber.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
"Putting this much power in a front wheel drive car has a name, it's called the chaos theory."

See 2:55 or so for a torque steer demonstration.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xDZonrA2Dw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0xDZonrA2Dw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
That was a good video. I especially like the comments;

About torque steering:
"That is torque steering the car and it's good if you want to go left."

About horsepower:
"You can give it a million horsepower but if the chassis can't put it on the road...pointless!"

At the end:
"It is exciting in the same way that being shot at is exciting."

Good stuff. rotfl

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Should i be afraid?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts