Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Good.

My opinion on all these hybrid and electric cars:
The more they look like normal cars, the better.

Thats why I went with a civic hybrid instead of a prius.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think they got a lot closer to the design than mos mfgs do.

No one will buy a car as a DD that has 9 inch windows, so that was never going to fly.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The Volt is a major gamble for General Motors, ... , and the first to offer a hybrid vehicle that is propelled solely on electrically generated power.
Arrrgh! A "hybrid" can't be propelled "solely" by any power source. It has to be powered by two or more power sources. :thwack:
hy·brid
Pronunciation: \ˈhī-brəd\ Function: noun Etymology: Latin hybrida Date: 1601
1: an offspring of two animals or plants of different races, breeds, varieties, species, or genera2: a person whose background is a blend of two diverse cultures or traditions3 a: something heterogeneous in origin or composition : composite <hybrids of complementary DNA and RNA strands> <a hybrid of medieval and Renaissance styles> b: something (as a power plant, vehicle, or electronic circuit) that has two different types of components performing essentially the same function

·
Vendor
3,269 Posts
Arrrgh! A "hybrid" can't be propelled "solely" by any power source. It has to be powered by two or more power sources. :thwack:
hy·brid
Pronunciation: \ˈhī-brəd\ Function: noun Etymology: Latin hybrida Date: 1601
1: an offspring of two animals or plants of different races, breeds, varieties, species, or genera2: a person whose background is a blend of two diverse cultures or traditions3 a: something heterogeneous in origin or composition : composite <hybrids of complementary DNA and RNA strands> <a hybrid of medieval and Renaissance styles> b: something (as a power plant, vehicle, or electronic circuit) that has two different types of components performing essentially the same function
Yes it can. It is a series hybrid. The gasoline engine generates electricity which drives the electric motor. Thus it is truly propelled by one source, an electric motor. However the electricity(power) comes from 2 places.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Yes it can. It is a series hybrid. The gasoline engine generates electricity which drives the electric motor. Thus it is truly propelled by one source, an electric motor. However the electricity(power) comes from 2 places.
Ah. Well. They should have said.

Would anyone like to try some foot? It's quite tasty.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
It's my impression that:

Lithium-Ion is not the answer, as both Honda and Toyota, the latter with huge experience in these things, say.

L-I will not last the 10+ yrs of Prius battery.

L-I is not nearly as recyclable; cause a big problem.

L-I costs won't go down as production goes up, unlike NMH (?) batteries, as the former use some precious metals.

Isn't the 1st run of Volts to be only 250?

I think CharlieX wrote some interesting stuff on batteries elsewhere here.

I don't think the Volt will appear when gm projected; it'll be later, but I wish them well as they need something.

Ppl are looking for used electric RAV4s and Utah has such cheap natural gas (mandated by law) the state is going nuts over cars that run it: buying cars in other states, illegally converting their cars w/non-DOT approved kits, etc.

Note that this is not my area of expertise (I have none) but I wrote what I've heard from reliable sources.

Tis a new world before us...

·
Registered
539 Posts
hmm.. from those angles. it looks a bit like a cross between a Scion TC and the new Audi TT.

Its a bit early to say, but i think i like it. I was really hoping it would look a bit more like the concept.

anyway.. the more electrics and hybrids on the road the better. IMO

·
Registered
485 Posts
It really should not have been marketed as a Chevy. They should sell this under the Saturn brand.

·
Registered
570 Posts
After seeing the Volt at the show in Detroit I will agree that this looks much, much better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The car in the photos is actually a Malibu chassi/interior/powertrain with a volt exterior. The only thing it's got in common with the Volt are the looks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't like either version. I think car designers these days played with too many Mattel Hot Wheels as they all look like life-size versions of those. (Not the more accurate-looking Hot Wheels from their original years - but the last 6-8 years or so). Blob body styling, oversized shiny chrome rims - all we need is orange roadways!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts