The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a high-pitch whinning noise from my car, and the dealership is saying I need a new clutch... The clutch feels good though...

What were your experiences with clutch problems?

:shrug:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Is whining really a typical clutch-going-out-type sound? I assume you're talking about a whine while running, not while actuating the clutch...I would tend to first think "gearbox" if that's the case, but maybe not (?).

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really high-pitch noise (like somone scratching a blackboard) while driving... not while engaging the clutch...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
really high-pitch noise (like somone scratching a blackboard) while driving... not while engaging the clutch...
On my third Elise, owned an Exige. All four, from new, made some time of high pitched noise while driving that was not engine related. After having the first two checked out by Lotus and being told :tadts:, I figure they all do.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had this problem (http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53869) at that dealership, so I'm not sure I should believe the tech who said it's a clutch problem...

Plus when they were taking the car out for the test-drive, I did NOT appreciate the tech revving up the car and driving like a nut all over the area (which I could hear from the dealership).

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I am hearing a high-pitch whinning noise from my car, and the dealership is saying I need a new clutch... The clutch feels good though...

What were your experiences with clutch problems?

:shrug:

LSD? maybe u need new bearings? or something as simple as brake pads?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
made a loud clicking noise..almost sounded like a toasted bearing or cam. It was the broken piece of the pressure plate hitting the trans. housing on each rotation.

Still drove just fine.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
OK, any other damage to the trans? or was it just isolated on the press plate?
isolated. It did ding the housing a very little bit but not enough to worry. It has happened to quite a few people now. These clutch are designed for a FWD car. I think we stress them much more when shifting hard.

The pressure plate mounting points actually fail.

Newport European was very easy to deal with and quick about the replacement and warranty work.

I can also say that my actual clutch material was perfectly fine. PLENTY of life left on it.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Could be a throw out bearing?
I think you're probably right. A simple test for that is to see if the noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal. While just the bearing would NEED to be replaced in that case, it's worth it to install a new disc and pressure plate while everything is opened up already (also a good idea to consider upgrading from the stock clutch).

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
isolated. It did ding the housing a very little bit but not enough to worry. It has happened to quite a few people now. These clutch are designed for a FWD car. I think we stress them much more when shifting hard.

The pressure plate mounting points actually fail.

Newport European was very easy to deal with and quick about the replacement and warranty work.

I can also say that my actual clutch material was perfectly fine. PLENTY of life left on it.

good to know thanx AJ!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts