The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a clutch shudder on first and reverse after I installed Competition ST2 Street Carbon/Kevlar Clutch Kit and MWR Forged Steel Ultralight Flywheel on my 2005 Elise. Is this normal for new clutch? I got about 75 miles on it now.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Not sure about those specific parts but most clutches do have a short break-in period. The lighter flywheel could also require subtle changes to your previous acceleration methods...? Think feathering

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. I guess it still need break-in. Besides the small shudder I really like my new clutch + flywheel combination. This clutch has a soft pedal and is more responsive with faster shifts and acceleration.
Here's my flywheel and clutch.
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 12.58.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 12.56.53 PM.png

·
Administrator
1,477 Posts
I'm sure you did going to all the trouble that you have in clutch and flywheel replacement but did you flush your MC and lines while you were at it?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure you did going to all the trouble that you have in clutch and flywheel replacement but did you flush your MC and lines while you were at it?
Thanks for pointing that out. I did flushed my clutch lines prior to installation when I did my brakes.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Between the lightweight flywheel and new grippy clutch, my experience has been you have to be precise with all distinct processes when engaging/ disengaging clutch or you get shudder. Gas off/ clutch in, gear change, clutch out gas on. unless your braking...

I just know my Fidenza flywheel and ACT XTSS clutch does not appreciatge being partially engaged. I agree you may need to modify your shifting action somewhat to suit the new clutch.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
They're always really grippy when new. Some gentle around-town driving will buff down the rough edges of the friction compound and get a little dust in there to soften engagement.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Mine's the same. Yep, this behavior proved that I actually had the light flywheel installed. I had my doubts since I didn't feel it revved faster than stock. IDK...

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
93 Posts
I am experiencing a clutch shudder on first and reverse after I installed Competition ST2 Street Carbon/Kevlar Clutch Kit and MWR Forged Steel Ultralight Flywheel on my 2005 Elise. Is this normal for new clutch? I got about 75 miles on it now.
I am experiencing a clutch shudder on first and reverse after I installed Competition ST2 Street Carbon/Kevlar Clutch Kit and MWR

Forged Steel Ultralight Flywheel on my 2005 Elise. Is this normal for new clutch? I got about 75 miles on it now.
Lightweight flywheels and pressure plates
do not dampen engine pulses as much as
there heavier counterparts.This will feel like
clutch shudder but is normal.Enjoy your new
Setup!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts