The Lotus Cars Community banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
The C6 was really competitive as tehy learned how to corner after 50 Years developement.. before that they where like: "oh the other cars are quicker in the corner... well lets make the engine bigger with more HP and we will get them on the straights anyway.."

The C7 had heat issues...
Now they learned to get rid of the leaf feathers and build a proper suspension but also switched to a mid engine layout that is harder to cool. how do they think their engine will be able to handle this? :D

I am really excited about the first (unpaid) tests.

·
Vendor
3,102 Posts
The C6 was really competitive as tehy learned how to corner after 50 Years developement.. before that they where like: "oh the other cars are quicker in the corner... well lets make the engine bigger with more HP and we will get them on the straights anyway.."

Now they learned to get rid of the leaf feathers and build a proper suspension but also switched to a mid engine layout that is harder to cool. how do they think their engine will be able to handle this? :D

The heat issues were largely with the Auto transmission Z06s. However related to certifying the car for full tank lapping at 85F ambient temp. I realize in Michigan that seems like good enough, but Cali, AZ, Texas, no way. With the new cooling they certified the manual at 100F full tank lapping on the C7Z. Let's hope, as they do that the Dual Clutch is inherently better and that they are "once-bitten, twice shy" for the C8. Never underestimate the ability of GM's schedule and accounting wonks to win out over engineering.

I am fairly confident in the LT2 car's heat capability as it has to be designed upfront for the Z06. Of course the base car's brakes will be crap.

·
Registered
437 Posts

HIGH HOPES....low expectations. I started to give the C8 serious consideration which translated into lots of research and actual owner experience (of C6 and C7 intro cars). You cant necessarily overlay those experiences to the C8, but the history is NOT good. Lots of commentary about early purchasers being UNPAID BETA TESTERS for GM. Plenty of 'sour grapes' over GM build quality in general --some of which is just internet 'opinion', but, in some, I did see some commonality/trends of problems (as mentioned here--heat/cooling, brakes). My enthusiasm is TEMPERED. I'd have to wait at least a year for the debugging to get into the prod line(reminds me of the early Evora wire harness adn clutch issues)---and the true convert version likely wont come out until years end ....Back to the 'drawing board' :-(

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Yeah, the C8 seems really cool to me and almost renders a lot of other cars passe.
That said, Im not looking for a daily driver sportscar, I like a raw experience.
Thinking back, that's why I sold my C6Z06. Great car, just wasn't raw enough.
Im still torn between the C8, a used Cayman/Boxster (and save some money), a Backdraft/SPF Shelby Cobra, or another Viper, which would be #5. I like the Evora 400.

Not sure I want a DCT at this point. I love the Alfa but want to shift my own gears and didn't buy that so Im afraid I will be unsatisfied if I buy a car with a DCT.
I suspect some of you here might be too. IDK.
Maybe the driving experience will make up for the lack of a manual, maybe Im more old school.
I don't like buying cars brand new and after you drive that new C8 off the lot its just another used Chevy.
Any of the used cars on my list have already taken a depreciation hit and are special in their own right and perhaps offer a better drivers experience. IDK.
Still loving the C8 though.
The guys who buy the Z models have a different mindset than the base cars and thats a good thing.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Does anyone know if Lotus Engineering was involved with the design of the chassis/suspension/handling characteristics of the new Corvette? I remember talk about 4 years ago that Lotus was working on some secret project for GM and I can't imagine what else it would have been. All the early reviews are raving about the improved handling in this car.

·
Acme Super Moderator The Enforcer
6,641 Posts
HIGH HOPES....low expectations. I started to give the C8 serious consideration which translated into lots of research and actual owner experience (of C6 and C7 intro cars). You cant necessarily overlay those experiences to the C8, but the history is NOT good. Lots of commentary about early purchasers being UNPAID BETA TESTERS for GM. Plenty of 'sour grapes' over GM build quality in general --some of which is just internet 'opinion', but, in some, I did see some commonality/trends of problems (as mentioned here--heat/cooling, brakes). My enthusiasm is TEMPERED. I'd have to wait at least a year for the debugging to get into the prod line(reminds me of the early Evora wire harness adn clutch issues)---and the true convert version likely wont come out until years end ....Back to the 'drawing board' :-(
I wasn't a C6/C7 Beta tester, but owned both. Neither ever gave me any problems, except for the C6 driver's power seat adjuster. It was replaced under warranty Honestly, I'll probably put a deposit down on the C8. Just to hold my place in the proverbial line.

First year vehicles are nearly always subject to issues. I'm on my 6th recall item for the Ducati V4S, but only one really caused me an actual issue. It's the first vehicle in quite some time to actually instill fear in me.

San

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Still have to drive one, but I'm thinking this would make a nice garage mate with an Exige in about 3 years when they've depreciated a bit. I've owned Corvettes and appreciate them for what they are. Very different from a Lotus, but would be cool to have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Interesting tidbit. I just found out a week ago, very much to my own surprise that the company my fathers works for won the body/shell contract for the C8. He and my uncle are HUGE vette nuts so he is giddy to say the least.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
The reviews are in...

The reviews are in... The theme seems to be "fast with quite a bit of understeer".

https://jalopnik.com/2020-chevrolet-c8-corvette-heres-what-everyone-says-ab-1839065259

2020 Chevrolet Corvette Is More Than the Best Corvette Ever
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a29462701/2020-chevy-corvette-by-the-numbers/

The C8 also is the most impressive Corvette ever. Deleting all the fancy gear on our test car—it had all manner of extras that didn't make it drive better, including a $1495 front-end lift mechanism to clear steep driveways and $995 worth of carbon-fiber engine-compartment garnish—wouldn't change how we feel about it. But it would drop the price considerably. For a base car with the Z51 package and FE4 dampers, you're looking at only $66,890. This is nothing less than the democratization of the exotic car.
EXCLUSIVE: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray First Test: The C8 Keeps Its Promises
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/corvette/2020/2020-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-c8-first-test-review/

The vast majority of C8s sold will be base Stingrays. More than likely, those who buy them will have never driven a mid-engine car or one that hits 60 in less time than it takes to start the engine. Severe understeer will help prevent the overeager owners from pulling a Mustang exit at their local cars and coffee. Given all that, we also expect future performance models, from Grand Sport to Z06 to ZR1 and anything else, to dial back the understeer in pursuit of performance.

There's more to the story, though. Although the C8 struggles for grip midcorner, it dwarfs the C7's ability to put down power coming off the corner; the ultra-quick transmission and extra power conspire to reduce the time between corners. Witness the C8 Z51's 23.3-second figure-eight lap at 0.90 average g, 0.4 second ahead of any C7 Z51 and 0.2 behind a C7 Z06 with steel brakes.

Brakes are the one area where the C8 does not have a decided advantage over the C7. At 97 feet, the C8 Z51's best stopping distance from 60 mph falls on the longer end of the C7 Stingray and Z51's scale, costing it precious time in short figure-eight laps. The brakes were also a source of contention among the staff. In everyday and even sporty driving, they get the job done fine. It's when pushed to the limit that they fall short.
2020 Corvette C8 Stingray Z51: First Drive; Not great, but good. And a sign of amazing things to come.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a29471987/2020-corvette-c8-first-drive-test/

Astonishing magnetorheological-damper ride quality aside, the C8’s driving experience is a radical departure from previous Vettes because its controls are delicate. The electrically assisted steering is light, the shift paddles don’t require much effort from your fingers, and the (brake-by-wire) left pedal won’t stress your thigh muscles. The experience is more Ferrari than C7, which was a big brute of a thing that had a heavy clutch, a shifter that could sprain a limp wrist, and enough driveline lash to remind you what the gritty side of Detroit still looks like.

·
Vendor
3,102 Posts
I don't understand why GM can't set up testing cars well before they put them out. The Matt Farrah review was fairly gushing about handling. More camber up front and perhaps some toe-out for the Figure-8 MT test.....

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I have a feeling they know what they are doing.

For every repeat of the phrase 'tail happy' they lose 100 current vette owners

They were not going to let that happen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't understand why GM can't set up testing cars well before they put them out. The Matt Farrah review was fairly gushing about handling. More camber up front and perhaps some toe-out for the Figure-8 MT test.....
I think they are all (auto manufacturers that is) hush hush... look at how long it took Lotus to release anything on a restyled evora

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
switched to a mid engine layout that is harder to cool. how do they think their engine will be able to handle this? :D
Massive air ducts.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Interesting tidbit. I just found out a week ago, very much to my own surprise that the company my fathers works for won the body/shell contract for the C8. He and my uncle are HUGE vette nuts so he is giddy to say the least.
Can you elaborate on what they did or will do under this contract? Design? Manufacturing?

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I'm waiting for somebody to say something about autocross. Yes, i know that the more-motorsport-inclined folks who buy C8 cars are more-likely to be interested in track days, but road driving and local autocross is more my thing.

I am full-on happy with the autocross handling of my Elise. Blackwatch bits are unbelievable. I live in a northern climate, though, and have a huge problem getting heat in my tires.

Road-driving problem is that my wife can't get out of my Elise, so she won't get into it. The C8 looks much more easy to enter/exit than the recent Corvettes, due to its use of a Europa-style backbone/low-sill layout rather than an Elise-style tub/high-sill plan. I'm just about to cross the line into my 70s, and my legs are not what they used to be. It may be time to get an old-man car, and the C8 looks better for old folks than the recent Corvettes.

Toying with the idea of going Street Category (used to be called Stock) in autocross. Yes. I know that a C8 is going to be a lot slower than my Elise, but I'm not Mark Daddio anyway and have been autocrossing since 1968 because it's too much fun to stop.

Stuff I want to know:

Where is SCCA likely to class the C8? Will the C8 Z51 be in Street, or shoved into a higher classificaton?

How fast is the steering? I'd really not want to have to shuffle to do a slalom.

I can see doing three seasons in Minnesota with a C8. Take the wife to dinner, do some shopping. Drive up the North Shore including the tiny twisty road to Palisade Head. We don't golf, but the two-bags-of-clubs rear trunk seems to auger well for other purposes

I'm perfectly-OK with turning on the "Weather" nanny to drive an autocross in the rain.

I had to sell a Subaru Legacy GT because my wife was told by an orthopedist to stop driving stick. She could certainly drive a C8 in automatic mode.

Anybody heard anything about whether you can tow a small trailer with a C8?

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
So If GM can send out base Mid/engine Corvettes at 60k, why can't Lotus do that with the Evora 400? I'm sure there is a lot to the answer but if someone could chime in...
The answer is simple: Volume. Chevrolet is a big company with big factories. The Bowing Green plant will turn out a LOT of these cars. Lotus will never have that economy of scale.

·
Vendor
3,102 Posts
I'm waiting for somebody to say something about autocross. Yes, i know that the more-motorsport-inclined folks who buy C8 cars are more-likely to be interested in track days, but road driving and local autocross is more my thing.

I am full-on happy with the autocross handling of my Elise. Blackwatch bits are unbelievable. I live in a northern climate, though, and have a huge problem getting heat in my tires.

Road-driving problem is that my wife can't get out of my Elise, so she won't get into it. The C8 looks much more easy to enter/exit than the recent Corvettes, due to its use of a Europa-style backbone/low-sill layout rather than an Elise-style tub/high-sill plan. I'm just about to cross the line into my 70s, and my legs are not what they used to be. It may be time to get an old-man car, and the C8 looks better for old folks than the recent Corvettes.

Toying with the idea of going Street Category (used to be called Stock) in autocross. Yes. I know that a C8 is going to be a lot slower than my Elise, but I'm not Mark Daddio anyway and have been autocrossing since 1968 because it's too much fun to stop.

Stuff I want to know:

Where is SCCA likely to class the C8? Will the C8 Z51 be in Street, or shoved into a higher classificaton?

How fast is the steering? I'd really not want to have to shuffle to do a slalom.

I can see doing three seasons in Minnesota with a C8. Take the wife to dinner, do some shopping. Drive up the North Shore including the tiny twisty road to Palisade Head. We don't golf, but the two-bags-of-clubs rear trunk seems to auger well for other purposes

I'm perfectly-OK with turning on the "Weather" nanny to drive an autocross in the rain.

I had to sell a Subaru Legacy GT because my wife was told by an orthopedist to stop driving stick. She could certainly drive a C8 in automatic mode.

Anybody heard anything about whether you can tow a small trailer with a C8?
Hi Phil, Thanks for the kind words. I think that the car will out punch its (considerable) weight given the eDIFF and DCT. However, it will still be under-tired. I am positive they will put it in SS but it probably belongs in AS for those reasons. We'll see how the GS version looks in a few years or a Z06. I am hopefully they have something that is Flat-Plane crank NA around 550HP cuz that will end up in my garage, but we'll see.

BTW, I'm working on some custom body Penskes with drop perches to fix the stock springs for folks like you that might want to try street class.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts