The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm designing a new garage and driveway. All who've had to struggle getting their elise into their own driveways know what I mean.

For the elise's particularly low clearence, and based upon the particular road crown your city gifted to you:
  1. How much gradual driveway rise works for you?
  2. How much is too hair raising?
  3. How little has resulted in damage?
    [/list=1]

·
Registered
179 Posts
AW-

The following angles were taken from a package layout drawing of a European S2 Elise with 130mm of ground clearance:

Approach angle: 12deg (13.5deg unladen)

Departure Angle: 21.5deg (23deg unladen)

I do not know if the Fed version will differ. With similar bodywork and suspension geometry, I would think not.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had my driveway redone just as the elise was coming. In fact, i didn't pick it up the first day because I was waiting for the concrete to cure. Since I was replacing the apron, I took a much less scientific approach to it. . . .I told the contractor to reduce the slope as much as possible. It worked fine.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
According to the Owner's Manual, the:
(the formatting will be all messed up...)

Ground clearance (mid laden)
- std. 135 mm
- sport 130 mm
Front overhang 783 mm
Rear overhang 702 mm
Approach angle (at kerb) (sport) 13.5 degrees
Departure angle (at kerb) (sport) 23 degrees

I don't know if that will actually help or not...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Mike, Tech and Tim. I'm going to try for the lowest slope I can get, but my problem is exacerbated by a slight slope in the alley on which the driveway is feeding off from.

There's a drop that is between 16" and 24" for the 24 foot width of the driveway depending on where and how I locate the garage. Fortunately the alley has no crown, so that will surely make this easier.

Anybody else with some practical ways to approach the problem? Please post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts