The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier about my winter rebuild/upgrade which included adding rear AP Racing calipers (CP5317's) to my car. I was introduced to EBC Brakes Canada by a friend. George Smirnov and I had a chat about braking/pads and EBC as I explained what I was looking to do. George introduced me to Steven Wullner in the US. Long story short - they arranged for a custom set of RP-X racing pads for my car. I finally got to test them out last Tuesday in Tremblant at Le Circuit with my favorite run group 1morelap.ca. I ran the mornings with EBC yellows all around to get a baseline for the car (I had not yet tracked with the 4 caliper setup yet). Didn't take too long before I exceeded my braking capacity, especially in turn 8 when you have a short haul down from 180kph to 85 kph. I switched out the fronts to the RP-X pads over lunch and after a brief break in period let her rip. BOOM! Brakes again! Substantial upgrade. Cars that were staying with me were suddenly disappearing as I could drive the corners harder than ever. Wish i had an in car mic so you could hear my cheering. Very happy with the pad performance. Good bite, no fading and i drove hard! Ended the day with a shootout with a Porsche Cayman. We swapped places several times so we could study each others lines. Made the day extra fun to be able to go toe to toe with a solid driver pushing me.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some video of a morning session at Tremblant taken by a C7 Corvette that chased us down.
This was an early morning session. I was running EBC yellow street pads so i could get a baseline on my brakes. You can see I went too deep on the Mustang pass - I couldn't slow down fast enough with these pads. The car wiggled under my as I fought it around the corner. Made the exit ok. When I switched to the new RP-X pads the cars braking improved dramatically. Lots of stopping power!!

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
So I wouldn't expect any track worthy pad to fade. Yellowstuffs have an ok reputation at best it seems. That the RPX didn't fade, I would say are tablestakes for being on track. Other than "stop faster", which is just as much a function of tires as brakes, how were the RPX different? And did you only put them on the front? If so it seems like that would somewhat defeat the purpose of the 5317 caliper (although I've heard people do end up staggering pads with that setup)

Glad you had a good time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts