The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after looking around for several months to find just what I wanted, I finally picked up an 05 elise a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. This Sunday I went for a drive with a friend of mine that has a GT-R and early in the day his tire kicked up a rock that went straight through the back window and completely shattered it. I search around the forum last night and it looks like this is a fairly common problem, but the price to fix it seems to vary substantially. I've read that the rear clam needs to be removed and you're potentially looking at a huge chunk of shop time, but I've also heard that it doesn't require the clam removal and can be a pretty quick fix. Can anybody shed any light on this? Also, I'm looking for a good shop in the area to get it taken care of. Any suggestions?

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Welcome to the community. Sorry about your rough start. It will only get better from here. Sorry no advise about your rear window. Haven't had anything like that happen in the 5.5 years of ownership thus far.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've read that the rear clam needs to be removed and you're potentially looking at a huge chunk of shop time, but I've also heard that it doesn't require the clam removal and can be a pretty quick fix.
I haven't heard of any quick fixes - the window is bonded to the body, and requires the rear clam to be removed to get access to it.

After you have your rear window replaced and continue to drive without a top, suggest you get a polycarbonate shield here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/last-rear-window-shields-84254/
Highly recommended - it's a plastic shield that prevents the rocks from hitting the rear window. A bit late now, but a good investment for the future.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I haven't heard of any quick fixes - the window is bonded to the body, and requires the rear clam to be removed to get access to it.
It is bonded to the rear of that section actually, just to make it easy :rolleyes:, so even if you were to remove the interior panel, etc you still can't access the rear window. Rear clam off is the only option. The typical cost, last I checked, for a dealership to replace the window was ~$1000. ~$90 for the glass and the rest was R&R of the clam.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back window. The glass is actually very inexpensive, but the installation can be costly. The factory method for replacing the window is indeed to remove the rear clam, but I have seen it done with the clam on by a very good glass installation guy (I assisted him with the seemingly impossible part of slipping in the new glass). If you decide to attempt it with the clam on, contact me and I will give you the details.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
You can replace the rear window without removing the rear clam. Ask me how I know.

The most difficult part is cleaning up the glass shards...

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
If you were local I would help you pull off the rear clam. Call me crazy but i find pulling the rear clam kind of fun. I know. Crazy.

·
Registered
760 Posts
This thread is over 4 years old.
I for one am glad it was bumped. I had NO idea this was such a common problem until now. Reading those other threads has gotten me spooked now. I'm assuming Tony no longer sells these shields, any suggestions or current solutions?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I for one am glad it was bumped. I had NO idea this was such a common problem until now. Reading those other threads has gotten me spooked now. I'm assuming Tony no longer sells these shields, any suggestions or current solutions?
I suspect Tony might have some still, or be able to hook you up with a supplier.

Here's his guide to replacing the window:

Untitled Document

And here's the buy page for the shield:

Rear Window Shield for Lotus Elise

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
A couple weekends ago I was following a Cayman R running sticky tires, and it threw a rock hard enough to chip the paint on the painted roll hoop. Three inches lower and it definitely would have taken out the window.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
1) This has happen to me, and the window sounds soooo cool when it is fracturing.

2) If they are no longer selling the plexiglass window protectors, they are not that difficult to make. (just drill slow when drilling the holes for the suction cups)

3) Yep, you can replace the window with the clam on, but it is as much of a pain as removing the clam. (I, ok a buddy and I, ended up removing the clam)

4) Did I mention that its pretty easy to build a plexiglass rear window protector?
For about 20 bucks in materials, you are not paranoid when you take the top off!

·
Registered
760 Posts
I suspect Tony might have some still, or be able to hook you up with a supplier.

Here's his guide to replacing the window:

Untitled Document

And here's the buy page for the shield:

Rear Window Shield for Lotus Elise
Thanks for the leads!

A couple weekends ago I was following a Cayman R running sticky tires, and it threw a rock hard enough to chip the paint on the painted roll hoop. Three inches lower and it definitely would have taken out the window.
Yikes!

1) This has happen to me, and the window sounds soooo cool when it is fracturing.
I imagine it being similar to that scene in Jurassic Park II. :popcorn:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts