The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here. Hopefully I am just dumb and someone knows whats going on here....

So I can manually lock the car with the key but for the life of me, I cannot get the key fob working. I just put in a new battery in the fob as well. Car battery is not dead either.

Anyone know where the key fob needs to be pointing? Or is something off in my car? I press the button and literally nothing happens.

The key fob I have is just a single button attached to the key. The car also has a cobra immobilizer so there is another 2 button black fob, but I have only used that to start the car.

Thanks in advance.

-E

·
Registered
434 Posts
Watching..
too embarrassed to ask because probably the answer is in some 12 page thread somewhere.. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not dumb at all. There a few things that could be going on . One is that there's a CDL (central door locking unit ) in an access panel on the left hand side of the steering wheel like where the start button is , chances are that's gone bad. And it's a quick easy 5 min job . It's pretty common. I'd look up different trouble shooting things to make sure that's what it is . And as always check all fuses first. Just incase . If it turns out it is the CDL unit contact sirlotus here on the forums and he can probably help you get a unit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[/QUOTE]
Not dumb at all. There a few things that could be going on . One is that there's a CDL (central door locking unit ) in an access panel on the left hand side of the steering wheel like where the start button is , chances are that's gone bad. And it's a quick easy 5 min job . It's pretty common. I'd look up different trouble shooting things to make sure that's what it is . And as always check all fuses first. Just incase . If it turns out it is the CDL unit contact sirlotus here on the forums and he can probably help you get a unit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you. I will check the fuses to see if one has blown. If not I will look up to see how to get to the CDL.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I pulled fuse 22 and took a look at it. Seemed fine so I plugged it back in. Now magically it works!

·
Less is Better
2,627 Posts
I think from what you are describing, you've locked the door with the key and are trying to unlock with the fob. Is that correct? When you press the button on the fob, do you hear the locks cycling?

The Elise has two independent locking mechanisms. The key and fob are not interconnected so if you lock with the key, you have to unlock with the key. Likewise, same with the fob.

If you are having a problem with the fob working at all, you may need to reprogram it. Sirlotus has the process described in a thread here on the forum.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think from what you are describing, you've locked the door with the key and are trying to unlock with the fob. Is that correct? When you press the button on the fob, do you hear the locks cycling?

The Elise has two independent locking mechanisms. The key and fob are not interconnected so if you lock with the key, you have to unlock with the key. Likewise, same with the fob.

If you are having a problem with the fob working at all, you may need to reprogram it. Sirlotus has the process described in a thread here on the forum.
Yes!
That exactly happened to me. When I went to test drive my Elise, the owner handed me the keys, I went to the lock with the key, he opened the passenger side door and got in and started using the power locks and still could not open the drivers side. He reached over and unlocked using the handle. I did the test drive, had questions/issues and brought up the door, he said it always worked before and didn't know what was up. (He always had the top off.) Put down deposit, came back in a week to get and still had that issue, even though he had taken to get smogged, drove a little bit and was parking in different locations. I would leave the window down when getting out and use handle inside to get open. (Afraid to use fob having heard of cars not starting)
*Now I can't remember if I even got one of the fobs..but wasn't a deal breaker either way.
Finally 2-3 weeks later I started to take apart the door to see what broke. I finally realised once apart I had locked the door the first drive and the PO nor I knew the power locks inside and the key lock were independent of each other.

Dang. I think this means I still need to find and program and understand the key fob/alarm/immobiliser thing.

·
Less is Better
2,627 Posts
Yes!
That exactly happened to me. When I went to test drive my Elise, the owner handed me the keys, I went to the lock with the key, he opened the passenger side door and got in and started using the power locks and still could not open the drivers side. He reached over and unlocked using the handle. I did the test drive, had questions/issues and brought up the door, he said it always worked before and didn't know what was up. (He always had the top off.) Put down deposit, came back in a week to get and still had that issue, even though he had taken to get smogged, drove a little bit and was parking in different locations. I would leave the window down when getting out and use handle inside to get open. (Afraid to use fob having heard of cars not starting)
*Now I can't remember if I even got one of the fobs..but wasn't a deal breaker either way.
Finally 2-3 weeks later I started to take apart the door to see what broke. I finally realised once apart I had locked the door the first drive and the PO nor I knew the power locks inside and the key lock were independent of each other.

Dang. I think this means I still need to find and program and understand the key fob/alarm/immobiliser thing.
SirLotus has a really good description of the programming process. I set my alarm to manual arm so that I don't have to mess with the fob to start the car. Far less annoying.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No, outer door locks have no connection to alarm or immobilizer. Outer button is disabled via the key mechanically, also when the key is used to lock the outer button the inner handle will still open the door, outer button will not work until unlocked via the key. Inner locks are controlled by the alarm and the lock switch electronically and the lockk post mechanically (push it down, pull it up, Im referring to the post at the rear top of each door, they move when actuated electronically also). If your CDL module has gone bad I would imagine the alarm and door lock switch both fail, i.e. test module with the inner switch, but as Ive not had this issue I cannot confirm and the CDL mod has 2 unlock and 2 lock inputs, switch and alarm are separate. I also rewired my CDL so its less likely to fail, its just the relays now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, outer door locks have no connection to alarm or immobilizer. Outer button is disabled via the key mechanically, also when the key is used to lock the outer button the inner handle will still open the door, outer button will not work until unlocked via the key. Inner locks are controlled by the alarm and the lock switch electronically and the lockk post mechanically (push it down, pull it up, Im referring to the post at the rear top of each door, they move when actuated electronically also). If your CDL module has gone bad I would imagine the alarm and door lock switch both fail, i.e. test module with the inner switch, but as Ive not had this issue I cannot confirm and the CDL mod has 2 unlock and 2 lock inputs, switch and alarm are separate. I also rewired my CDL so its less likely to fail, its just the relays now.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
SirLotus has a really good description of the programming process. I set my alarm to manual arm so that I don't have to mess with the fob to start the car. Far less annoying.
Me73, how did you set your alarm to manual arm? Thanks.

·
Less is Better
2,627 Posts
Me73, how did you set your alarm to manual arm? Thanks.
I don't know why this isn't a sticky.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know why this isn't a sticky.

Much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My saga continues....

Fob was working for while to lock and unlock the car flawlessly. I had to unplug the negative of my battery recently. When I plugged the battery back in now my locks don't work at all!

When I hit the fob literally nothing happens to the locks (the alarm still turns on though and holy **** is it loud in my garage....). Also if I press the center console, nothing happens at all. When I had this issue last time, the locks at least jiggled.... now they just don't move! Checked fuse 22 and it looks good.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
1,534 Posts
Sounds like your fob lost it's sync. If you haven't installed fob batteries recently replace and go thru the re sync procedure.

·
Administrator
1,534 Posts
Are your outside key locks in horizontal position?

·
Administrator
1,534 Posts
Resync time do all fobs

·
Administrator
1,534 Posts

1 - 20 of 31 Posts