The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I have been lurking for a few weeks and have already learned a lot.

I contacted Newport Lotus based on the recommendations on this forum and found them to be just as described. No problems giving test drive, took time to answer all questions.

It made it worth driving 70 miles to Newport Beach as Silver Star in Thousand Oaks could only offer to sell me a car without a test drive or give me the address of Beverly Hills Luxury Rentals so I could rent one - I kid you not!

On Wednesday or Thursday, I will take delivery of an unregistered 2007 BRG Elise with no options except Starshield. I plan on customising it, so this was ideal configuration. Hardtop, splitter and some custom Probax from Lotus Trim Shop are top of the list.

This is a great forum. I look forward to meeting the LA/Ventura crew next weekend.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
welcome and congrats on your new elise purchase.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Welcome !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice to hear it all worked out good for you. Newport Lotus is the way to go.
Congrats - your life will never be the same!

I feel compelled to talk about my experience with Newport Lotus. I was following their website for over a year on a new leftover 2007 Exige S with 64 miles. In April I called about my trade - a 2005 Elise (5k and perfect) and described car. Long story short when I got there, my trade went down in value more than what he had said over phone. I had gone to SYmbolic before and knew it was worth a little more, but wanted to make a deal.

They(Kevin Smith) then went onto to trash talk Symbolic in SD (which is right next to me) - I did not disagree with what they were saying, but somethings are better left unsaid and it did not reflect well on them not taking the "higher road"- if I liked Symbolic to begin with why would i have driven 100 miles to their dealer.

On the drive home, the car shut off no less than 5 times, in traffic, at lights, etc - I called them and they said because it had sat on lot since 12/06 it may have some issues. I was already more than halfway home and took it to Symbolic service the next day. I do not exactly have a love affair with Symbolic showroom sales people (I had gone in there 3 times and asked for a call back - never received one), but truly come to respect the service personnel - top shelf!

After Symbolic looked at car (and were not happy I did not buy from them, but they understood as they did not have any like my car), they told me that the car had it's odometer replaced. Newport European DID NOT tell me this when I bought car. Turned out car had another 54 miles on it in addition to what they advertised, on odometer and in all my paperwork including registration. After I learned this, I called Kevin and told him what I discovered - he said that "he forgot to tell me". The only reason I had driven this far was for THIS car - we had talked on the phone about all the details and he never said a thing about the odometer - so it would seem that he did not "just forget".

This is my 2nd lotus and I know there will be more - I will NOT be dealing with Newport Lotus ever again after this experience.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Muji, sorry to hear about your Newport Lotus experience. Mine was similar to DaysInEuropa, where they let me test drive, no questions asked.
And daysineuropa, let me know when you sell your Beagle carrier, I need me a new Volvo for hauling stuff. :up:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts