The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 2005 Elise. I absolutely find it the most fun car I've ever driven . rotfl I'm so glad I didn't buy a Boxster or a Cayman I can't describe it. And I know it is after all a Lotus, so it's supposed to rattle a little, but I have a rattle coming from the passenger side that sounds at best unhealthy. I had the suspension checked over by a mechanic, who said that everything on it (the suspension) was tight. The rattle seems to be excited from low frequency inputs, like when I'm driving slow through a bumpy parking lot. Does anyone have any ideas?

Big thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
:tadts:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought a 2005 Elise. I absolutely find it the most fun car I've ever driven . rotfl I'm so glad I didn't buy a Boxster or a Cayman I can't describe it. And I know it is after all a Lotus, so it's supposed to rattle a little, but I have a rattle coming from the passenger side that sounds at best unhealthy. I had the suspension checked over by a mechanic, who said that everything on it (the suspension) was tight. The rattle seems to be excited from low frequency inputs, like when I'm driving slow through a bumpy parking lot. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, my tank flap cover (the round machined aluminum piece) is well corroded. Does anyone know where I can pick up a good used one or a low cost identical (but not corroded) replacement? Is this piece specific to Lotus? Or does it come off of some other vehicle?

Big thanks!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Rattles, wow, where do we start? Can you be more specific about where it's coming from? Front/rear?

Easy thing to check are the two largish bolts in the center area of the cover under the engine, those can work loose and make a really bad rattle, and it's also a pretty common one.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Check out Welcome to HANGAR 111 Lotus & KTM

They have been helpful in getting me some Lotus parts, and seem to be as cheap or cheaper than places in the US. I am sure they can order a new gas tank flap for you. If you want to go really cheap, just clean the aluminum with some metal cleaner, and get a black stick for it.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Welcome to LotusTalk :wave:

I've merged your threads and moved them to the "I'm new" forum :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Might be the window, was it down when this rattle happens?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
The A\C pipes run on the passenger side and can rattle like hell on the 05s. Check by turning the compressor off and see if it goes away, My car had that problem and was cured with a couple of tie wraps securing the pipes to each other. Check for anything loose on or holding the under tray.

Mike

·
Registered
682 Posts
Try searching the forums for rattle/rattling. You'll probably be able to come up with a decent list of things to check. There are so many things on the car that can rattle, check the hardtop bolts, the seat bolts and the underbody panels. Also, the engine bolts that someone already mentioned.

Basically, you just want to make sure that it isn't the kind of rattle that means somethings unsafe. But seriously, they all rattle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Judging by the type of noise and my best guess of the location, I'm inclined to think it is the A/C lines. How do you access them to add a tie wrap?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Judging by the type of noise and my best guess of the location, I'm inclined to think it is the A/C lines. How do you access them to add a tie wrap?
Remove the under tray and look for two lines that disappear into the right side sill you will need some long nose pliers. Like most things on this car, not that easy to get at.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I can't identify one rattle over all the other rattles. Put on a louder exhaust. lol.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts