The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Although I've been lurking here as a member, I just purchased my first Elise on Saturday(!!) and thought I'd share my first impressions.

All I can say is I'm completely smitten. I've been economizing for quite a while and finally was in the position to pull the trigger. The right car set up the way I wanted with the right options in the right color came up in a location that was accessible to me and I went for it. The car exceeded all my expectations and in my idea of automobile design, is perfect! I've owned many classic sports cars and driven several modern supercars, but this exceeds them all in the sheer driving enjoyment.

I got up at 3:30AM on Saturday morning and flew to LA, where I picked the car up. The seller was extremely helpful and picked me up at the airport with the car and I immediately set out for home. Day 1: I swung through Topanga canyon, Malibu and Ventura then headed up Hwy 101 for the North Bay area and made it past Eureka with several side coastal diversions along the way. Day 2: I pounded out the rest of Hwy 101 up to Hwy 199 between the Rogue River and Klamath national forests up Hwy 5 and home to Eugene.

It was 1025 miles of sheer delight and when I got home I wanted to turn around and do it over again! I could not get enough of driving the car. I'm at a loss to explain how perfectly suited the car is to my tastes and am in complete agreement with those posts in the "do you ever regret buying your Elise" section that the only thing I regret is not getting it sooner. It's got the perfect combination of modern precision but still retains that old 60's - 70's English roadster flavor that makes you feel they were designing their roadsters to be as much like a Spitfire as possible.

A few comments on the car as a whole:

1. Handling is unreal (duh).
2. The straight-line performance, although not stunning, is perfectly adequate to make the car a hoot.
3. The car is perfectly comfortable. I had absolutely no problems doing 2+ hour pulls without stopping. The only reason to stop is to fill up on gas. Those that comment the car is cramped or uncomfortable should just keep larding around in their Mustangs and BMW's.
4. OK, the car is a bit loud (mine has stage II exhaust). However, its no louder than the wind noise on my 73 911. With some ear-plugs and tunes the noise was no problem. The first few hours were ok, but after a few hours, I needed a little filtering of the exhaust note, although there was no droning and actually it was not as loud as I was expecting.
5. The rattles and vibrations....m'eh....they really don't bother me.
6. I love how small it is. I think this is my favorite characteristic.

Obviously, I could go on and on.

The forum has been very helpful providing a great deal of information for making me more comfortable about getting the car, so thanks lotustalk....

My comment for anyone thinking about getting and Elise but have not pulled the trigger. If you find the right car, go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed....

Cheers.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Your comment about the '73 911 was spot on. I had a '72 and a '74 Targa until the mid-1990's, and the Elise has the same direct steering, instant turn-in, and just enough ooomph to make the driving experience indelible. In a lot of ways the Elise with the top off is like driving an early 911 Targa.

Enjoy the car, I don't think one like it will be repeated for quite some time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Enjoy Daniel.

Take care of Jimmy for me.

It was nice to meet you and do business with you and Robert.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I feel as if I am too *new* to the Elise and Lotustalk, myself, to qualify for welcoming you, but your post was so upbeat and positive I had to comment; Far out! Welcome!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
cant wait to see some pics. Congrats on the purchase and good choice, it will only get harder and harder to buy one.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My Elise is my anti-drug. Your post was well said. I can't begin to tell you how many times I drive around with absolutely no destination in mind. Glad you're enjoying it!

·
Registered
548 Posts
congrats :) Just picked up my exige as well. I was surprised how "comfortable" it was... but then again, all of those features aren't important to me. Just purchased a BOE quarter stick exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
Get that damn Stage2 off and get a larini 8in either SE or thru the diffuser. All the sound you want at WOT w/o killing you all day!! My Stage 2 lasted ~1yr used before I couldn't take it anymore. I want to hear when I'm old. Enjoy and get it to a track!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi All,

Thanks for the welcome notes!

@daysineuropa - Thanks! I've been throwing everything at the car over the last few days. It even saw some snow this weekend. I drove the car over the Willamette pass to Crater Lake. They have over 500 inches of snow and it all hadn't melted yet....roads were clean though :). Will shoot you an email. Had a couple questions, nothing major.

@ttime4four - Definitely planning on participating in the local club activities. Just sent off my membership app.

The car has performed flawlessly. In a single day I took it through 90+ degree dry heat in the high plains dessert up to wet, almost freezing night time temps at 5000+ feet and it took everything in stride. I was very impressed with the lack of leakage on the soft top, as we stayed overnight at the Crater Lake Lodge and got some rain. I've got 4 days of driving in with over 1600 miles.

Here are some pix.

First is the car coming off the trailer. Second is one I snapped in the redwoods on the way home. Third is lost on the back roads in the Willamette National Forest. Fourth is the 6 or 7 feet of snow still melting at Crater Lake National Park.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts