The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my new ardent red elise. oh my gosh what a screamer!!!at 6200 rpm...only disappoinment is that i never thought it does not have any power assist on the steering which makes it harder to park and parallel parking the most.:clap:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Congrats! Don't worry about the lack of power-steering, my friend. Bring out the dumbells and get some guns!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey mokosped,
i noticed you're from texas. got my elise at lotus of san antonio and drove it back here in los angeles. arrived last nite. oil changed today and now officially driving at screaming rpm's:clap:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first oil change was 303 dollars??? Ouochhhh!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's not uncommon to be charged $20 - 30 for a filter ("genuine Lotus") plus $10/qt of oil (5 to 6 qts). I think you get stuck for at least two hrs of labor ($80/hr or more), so there you go. Personally, I was not thrilled to be paying Lotus to have them do an ECU dump for their own edification, but you have no choice.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Jim Itin said:
It's not uncommon to be charged $20 - 30 for a filter ("genuine Lotus") plus $10/qt of oil (5 to 6 qts). I think you get stuck for at least two hrs of labor ($80/hr or more), so there you go. Personally, I was not thrilled to be paying Lotus to have them do an ECU dump for their own edification, but you have no choice.
$10/qt for synthetic oil - not bad for dealer markup.

How much are taxes and disposal fees out there?

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
no onesays u have to always use the lotus dealer for oil changes....man, 270 bucks...how do get into that racket?
and that filter?? next time ask for the "genuine toyota" rather than the "genuine lotus" oil filter.
:)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I was charged $37 for my filter. WOO HOO! I tell myself its a super duper special filter so Im happy with it. ;) :D

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
You don't need power assist, this will build character ! Not to mention your biceps ! :)

Congratulations :cool:

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I didnt know that power steering was a big deal until I started seeing people post about the "lack" of it here on the board.

Ive always driven cars without power steering ( cept our SUV which you had to have it). In fact, Ive always tried to AVOID power steering. I prefer to not have it. Ive never had a problem, not even with race tires on them.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oil change

yes the parts where as follows:filter=20.70
synthetic oil 5 qts. =9.95 each
labor=227.82 bucks
go figure that out...what a rip off even though we can afford it, it's just plain rediculous and on top of it they have to download your freaking ecu stats so they can get you when your car blows up!!! i hope it is legal on what they are doing especially the downloading part. any lawyers there????

·
Registered
472 Posts
Two minor things:
1) You can supply your own oil for the 1000 mile service
(must be 5W40 synthetic, as noted in other threads).
This will cut the cost of the oil in half (at least), plus it
fills the sump with oil you know you can purchase locally
when / if you need to top up.
2) Not a lawyer (not that there's anything wrong with that),
and certainly not a defender of Lotus and their logic, but
I wonder if one of the reasons for the ECU record is so
that they can get reimbursed from Toyota for engine
warranty claims? If the engine was not "abused",
according to the ECU record, then I would think that
Toyota might be expected to cover any warranty costs.
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Jim Itin said:
T..., but
I wonder if one of the reasons for the ECU record is so
that they can get reimbursed from Toyota for engine
warranty claims?
Very good point. I don't know either, but now that you mention it, they must have some sort of warranty agreement with Toyota. I would be curious to see what it is.

I highly doubt they signed a contract to buy a lot of the engines with zero warranty. And if there is a warranty, I would expect it to be similar to what Toyota would normally warranty on their cars or something like 3 years, 36k miles.

And I could certainly see the possibility that more conservative Toyota saying "wait, how will we know that these engines you are putting in a street legal race car, are not abused?"

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would imagine that a Toyota motor is pretty easy to oil change yourself.

Is the ECU dump a required thing and, if so, how often does it need to be done?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
epinfren said:
I would imagine that a Toyota motor is pretty easy to oil change yourself.

Is the ECU dump a required thing and, if so, how often does it need to be done?
It's a requirement for validation of your warranty. I guess to make sure we don't brow beat the cars during the breakin period.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts