The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eyes on the Road - WSJ.com

Most of the discussion of federal efforts to boost the average fuel efficiency of new vehicles to 35 mpg by 2015 has focused on how the new standard will do in large sport-utility vehicles. But high-performance cars -- particularly those sold by relatively small manufacturers such as Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari and Subaru -- are also targets of the proposed reforms to the CAFE regime.

Interesting article. Porsche may need to step up fuel economy to 41mpg by 2015. There's a big difference between managing to get 30mpg and getting 40+ especially in high powered cars. Looks like fines my be tacked on to sticker prices.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Too bad they can't average it in miles, ie I drive my 50mpg 80% of miles I drive, and 25mpg elise 20% of the time... I shouldn't have to pay fines!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
As a company, Lotus is actually in a great position to make money on these new laws. Reduced weight and hybrid powertrains are going to play a large role in achieving these figures, both of which Lotus Engineering has already proving to have expertise in.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Ive decided to start investing into companies that make racing glass. Its only a matter of time before congress allows it on street cars.

Auto manufactures will be forced to find lighter weight parts before too long. Glass to plastic is a very easy way to shed some blubber.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Looks like the classic car market is only going to keep going up then.
;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Sounds like it will be an increase in the gas guzzler tax. Probably promote the delvopment of high performance hybrids which I think Porsche is working on.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just can't get into the concept of a electric sports car. The sound of burning fossil fuels just does it for me.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
of course "full size trucks" will continue to be expempt no doubt. - and thoose are by volumn - the most destructive to on the road mean average MPG and emissions. the newer reg's are really punishing thoose that are doing great, and continue to subsidize the real problem makers. transportation trucking is a whole 'nother issue thats being dogged.

one escalade will have far more impact than a 1/2 dozen 911's - mean average of mpg and pollution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts