The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 2001 Esprit V8. I have a few questions. 1) I am aware these cars are temperamental as I've done my homework; Is there any way to upgrade the weak transmissions? 2) where can I acquire aftermarket exhaust (I have center exit) 3) wheels? what are my options? Anyone have a nice set for sale? 3) fires, how common are they? 4) what should I look for since I have not seen the car yet. (being brought here from CA next month) Thank you!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Temperamental? I don't think so, if you keep an eye on the car & maintenance
just like any other cars.

Weak transmission? I don't think so. The car designed the way it supposed to work - no more no less. Now if you up the boost, just like any other car and you need to put more load in everything. Yes there's upgrade but do you really want to? I say, enjoy the car for now forget this silly stuff. Now, if money has no object, yes I can tell you where to buy them.

Aftermarket exhaust? yep there are couple of them but easier just to do custom exhaust. There are so many locals out there today who can do it. You will pay dearly buying aftermarket exhaust vs custom exhaust.

Fires? Ferrari - Jaguar - Lambo love fires too. As I said,
precautions, maintenance & common sense will prevent fires. Nahhhh, fires can happen in any cars.

Wheels? very rare -- the V8 has a bolt pattern 5 x 108 ??? no one has a good one except to custom a wheels. There a couple of 108 but not deep disc good for front wheels. Hard to find and the price is gold if you find one...oh they are made in china....careful now

Enjoy! what color? any pictures?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the feedback! I am exited. I have been told the timing belts and clutch have been replaced, It is yellow color. The car supposedly is in excellent condition and has had all maintenance work done accordingly. My concern lies with threads and info I have read here on the forum about fires, problems with engine lining and head gaskets, electrical gremlins, and hard to find parts? I will post pictures as soon as possible. As far as exhaust, How Do i acquire a custom exhaust? what have you done? I would love to open up the sound of the engine more. Also I have read that the esprit has Renault transmissions ONLY capable of 350BHP and the engine is capable of far more

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also who has done custom exhaust On a 2001 (single muffler center exit) and can they post pics?

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
You bought an Esprit sight unseen and without a PDI by a Lotus knowledgeable mechanic?

You are living on the edge.:clap:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I cant say that was the smartest move however I AM mechanically inclined and am partial owner or a warranty Company and have access to many techs. PLUS for the price I cant beat it. The Guy SEEMS to be trustworthy But who knows..... we will see in a few weeks

On a side note, I am going to make this car MINT and do and fix anything and everything that is not OEM quality or better. All of my personal cars including my daily driver are clean enough to eat off of (undercarriage and all).. Yes im THAT guy

You bought an Esprit sight unseen and without a PDI by a Lotus knowledgeable mechanic?

You are living on the edge.:clap:

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Unless you have all of the service tickets to KNOW what was done and when you should figure on doing a full C service. This would include the timing belts, fluids, and filters. If the tires are original they should be replaced too. Before spending a lot on modifying the car I would concentrate on getting it into the best condition possible first. Drive it and then decide if you really want to change things. The transmission is fine unless you are planning on flogging the car. The exhaust system is fine for most but not everyone seems to be satisfied with it and want to do *something* to "make it better"? The first thing you should do is wash and detail the car, do all of the owner checks (lights, tire pressures, etc) and then take it to the nearest Lotus shop for a though inspection and service. Fires are not common unless you have someone who doesn't know what they are doing working on the fuel system. Enjoy the car for what it is and then you will be in a better position to know what you want to change. Before "upgrading" the car you might want to invest in "upgrading" the driver with a driving course like Skip Barber.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
671 Posts
All of the Stevens Esprit's are a 5X108 bolt pattern. You can find the OZ Nova wheels on Ebay from time to time at a premium since they are rare, or you can find aftermarket wheels you cannot live without and buy hub centric spacer adapters to adapt another bolt pattern to the car. Karvamore(Lucas) has done it several times with some very high quality wheels, but depends on what you like. You can have some custom made for $$$$$$$ or keep what you have for now until some come along on the forum or ebay. Also, you'll want some adjustable quality coilovers to make your 4X4 look Esprit look more like a sports car than a crossover vehicle! Haha! They are quite high stock!
Artie

·
Registered
743 Posts
"OZ Nova wheels on Ebay from time to time at a premium since they are rare"

Funny, I bought a brand new OZ NOVA WHEELS USED FOR 2003-2004 LOTUS V8 brand new for only $1,500.
Yes no joke --- the guy is a regular at the TV SHOW WHO BIDS FOR STORAGE WAR.
Unfortunately, he didn't know the cost of the wheels --- Lucky for me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
"OZ Nova wheels on Ebay from time to time at a premium since they are rare"

Funny, I bought a brand new OZ NOVA WHEELS USED FOR 2003-2004 LOTUS V8 brand new for only $1,500.
Yes no joke --- the guy is a regular at the TV SHOW WHO BIDS FOR STORAGE WAR.
Unfortunately, he didn't know the cost of the wheels --- Lucky for me.
Damn! Great deal! I desperately wanted some to paint black for Lord Vader!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts