The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I purchased an 84 Esprit Turbo about 3 weeks ago and just found this site after having had signed up to the lotusespritforums.com about a month ago. It sure is good know that there is a good Lotus contingent here in the metroplex. Below are a few pictures of my new baby. Does anyone know of a good (reasonably priced) lotus mechanic in the area? My mechanic can replace bushings, fittings and do oil changes but he suggested I find some more qualified to do tune ups and such.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Chad and I will be glad to help you with any service needs. We are both factory certified Lotus techs with experience on esprits as well as the newer products. We both work at the Lotus dealer here in Dallas.

Jason

Overseas Motors 214-350-9171

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Matt - Welcome to LotusTalk - great group of people here - lots of help and experience. You came to the right place. :wave:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Does anyone know of a good (reasonably priced) lotus mechanic in the area? My mechanic can replace bushings, fittings and do oil changes but he suggested I find some more qualified to do tune ups and such.
Welcome to the fold! Many of the local Lotus owners use Tony Richards (972-245-5341) in Carrollton for service. I don't know what his rates are but he is very experienced.

You'll probably want to join the North Texas Lotus Club mailing list hosted on yahoo where club events are posted. Local events are usually posted to the club website as well.

Also the turboesprit group on yahoo is an excellent resource as this is where the majority of Esprit experts hang out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Do you guys work on M100's? Has Brightman ever brought his in?

very minimum stuff... our parts dept has had a horrible time getting parts sourced from lotus for them, assumably because there are none to be had and they wont use aftermarket parts for for them... I would say if it is running and driving and you need a service or general repairs yes we can. if its been sitting up for 8 years since the motor locked up, then we probably wont take it in. some of it is the service managers call also.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Congrats on the new Esprit!
:cool:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I owned an identical car for about 5 years. Loved it.

Join Lotus Ltd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Chad and I will be glad to help you with any service needs. We are both factory certified Lotus techs with experience on esprits as well as the newer products. We both work at the Lotus dealer here in Dallas.

Jason

Overseas Motors 214-350-9171
Jason, ironically I called overseas motors today after doing a google search (also how I found this site). I was transferred to the service dept. and spoke to someone (i don't remember who) who said Overseas doesnt work on Esprits and recommended another place in Carrollton called Exotic Motorworks (who I couldnt find anyway). Looks like I may need to call and ask for you directly. :)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome btw!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Jason, ironically I called overseas motors today after doing a google search (also how I found this site). I was transferred to the service dept. and spoke to someone (i don't remember who) who said Overseas doesnt work on Esprits and recommended another place in Carrollton called Exotic Motorworks (who I couldnt find anyway). Looks like I may need to call and ask for you directly. :)

Good luck, they don't let you talk directly to techs. You have to go through a service manager.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Good luck, they don't let you talk directly to techs. You have to go through a service manager.
Really? Ask Jason or Chad my real name or what I look like.
;)

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
You will probably find that most service centers will be be afraid of your Esprit and/or will not have the knowledge to service it correctly. Do you have any mechanic's skills yourself? The Esprit is not that terribly difficult to service on your own if you have some patience and read the service manual. I had my '86 Turbo Esprit for 11 years (sold to buy the Elise) and managed to service everything on it myself and it was never a problem, not did the car cause me any trouble. I found I was able to do a better job than the "Lotus Techs" I was taking the car to at first. All I did was to carefully read the service manual and approach the jobs in a way that spending extra time was not an issue.

I would like to offer you congratulations on your new Esprit and of course you picked the best color combo--same as my old car! :up: It looks to be in great shape and has had a good life in the hands of its previous owner/owners. The best thing you can do when purchasing one of these old Esprits is to buy a good, clean one to begin with and it appears you have done that. If you want some information on what to check over on your car to ensure you don't have any trouble with it, I would be happy to discuss it with you. I know just about every system and failing in these old Esprits so just PM or email me.

Dan

·
Registered
270 Posts

there is one sitting in the shop here right now... you talked to the wrong person....

there are some limitations to what we can do in lue of parts availability, because parts wont use aftermarket suppliers for actual components, but we have let customers "bring thier own" in certain circumstances. Chad and I cant set your appt for you, but I dont know why you couldnt bring it in for general service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Jason, I spoke to...David I think and he said unless is a FI version you all couldnt work on it and in 84 they were still carberated so I guess no dice...:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Esprit89 the links you posted for the mailing list and turbo esprit group say not found. Any chance you could check the links and let me know. Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts