The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.carbc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=752&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0&POSTNUKESID=5ffdc2e0b37329e88374cc213be2b371

Lotus Esprit to come back for 2006?

Posted by: Justin on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:26 PM PST

There's a distinct love affair between the car enthusiast and Lotus. Time and time again, customers return to the brand simply because they're one of the best when it comes to ultimate driving thrill. Aside from older Morgans, the Lotus 7 is a design that's still in heavy use today as the basis for many a kit car. The Elise is the car to beat for lightweight thrills, and the company itself has worked on countless projects as a consultant for ride and handling. Currently owned by Proton, and with only two cars in their lineup (based off one car), Lotus is under a great deal of pressure to introduce a new model into the company to keep the marque in the green financially. What better place to start than with the widely celebrated Esprit that passed earlier this year?

This computer-generated Esprit predicts what the next generation of Esprit will look like.

While the photos of the car pictured here are pure speculation by British magazine Autocar, the idea and concept are well alive. Expect to see a powerful sports car powered by a 450 or 500 horsepower V8 motor. Whether or not Lotus will continue their ties with Toyota for motors (see Elise and Exige), or create a new motor or utilize the same 3.5 liter V8 that they made for the Elise is unclear, however from a logical standpoint Toyota's 4.3 liter V8 with VVTL-I makes sense as the driving force behind the new Esprit. To keep with Lotus' lightweight tradition, the curb weight of this project has been set at around 1300 kg - on par with the current Esprit V8.

More powerful motor to be inserted into a car that weighs about the same. Sounds like a recepie for success.

One remarkable thing about the original design of the Esprit is that it aged very well. Despite the numerous facelifts and mild changes, it still looked fresh until the day the last one rolled off the assembly line. The new car, from these images takes on a look very similar to Lamborghini's Gallardo. Its stature is short, and wide and very, very low. Here, you'll find standard headlamps mounted behind clear lenses as opposed to retractable units and a retractable spoiler. Other complaints that Lotus has addressed are a need for greater interior room and a more rigid body. With Lamborghini's Gallardo, Porsche's 911 GT2, and Ferrari's F360 Modena as its sights, expect to see the Esprit being sold at a price tag of around €120,000 ($200,000 CAD, $150,000 USD). We reckon that with this kind of performance, Lotus ought to be able to sell 1500 units a year. Later on, the Elise will be backed with a smaller mid-performance model to be sold with a lesser asking price.

-Click for Larger Images.

Photos: Autocar

Related links
· More about Lotus
· News by Justin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most read story in Lotus:
Celica power revives Lotus' Elise for '04

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree - the back reminds me of the old subaru svx

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Road and Track preview of Esprit

Attachments

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
transio said:
I don't like the design..... at all. I mean, it's superior to the current esprit, but ick!
I agree...boring and nothing fresh or engaging about it.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
That looks a lot like a graphic I saw in another publication (maybe same graphic?), which described it as an artist's rendering of what the next Esprit MAY look like. In other words, don't be too critical of that image, I don't think it came from Lotus and the actual car will probably look substantially different.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
MattG said:
That looks a lot like a graphic I saw in another publication (maybe same graphic?), which described it as an artist's rendering of what the next Esprit MAY look like. In other words, don't be too critical of that image, I don't think it came from Lotus and the actual car will probably look substantially different.
The computer-generated image you are referring to is what started this thread. The orange image is the exact same image with the color changed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It would be a pleasure though, if the Esprit replacement will have potent abilities like the Elise-like, Noble M12 GTO. From what I've read recently it weighs only 2380lbs and performs much better than a Porsche TT (price is comparable to the said Porsche too). So again, maybe we don't need more power. Just keep the weight down.

Source: http://www.1gracing.com/specs.html

·
Registered
866 Posts
MOKOSpeeD said:
It would be a pleasure though, if the Esprit replacement will have potent abilities like the Elise-like, Noble M12 GTO. From what I've read recently it weighs only 2380lbs and performs much better than a Porsche TT (price is comparable to the said Porsche too). So again, maybe we don't need more power. Just keep the weight down.

Source: http://www.1gracing.com/specs.html
But isn't that weight figure without engine and transmission?

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Still no concrete evidence that there will be an NSX yet. Do you have any valid sources? In addition, there's talk about the new sh-awd possibly applied to a later honda sports car. Putting the new sh-awd system into if if it comes out wouldn't seem like a good idea anyways (more weight), b/c Honda don't got torque or HP > 400 :D. If it materializes, for 90k's I'd take a Noble or an Esprit replacement over the next NSX.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
There's too many cars I've seen pictures of and hated only to see the car in person and love it. I'm holding out until these renderings become reality.

For now I will drive my ARGO, possibly the most beautiful vehicle ever built!

(Just Kidding)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts