The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people think of the new Europa that sells in the UK? There is just one (for now0 on Ebay at gbp30k. I wonder why this isn't a car that would sell in the US? It would be a different market than the Elise, as it is a little slower and more appointed, but perhaps it would pick up more BMW Z4 owners, and folks looking to buy a mid-engined Porsche. The Europa looks great.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i think the europa's been plagued by an ambiguous identity...

...it's appointed with grand touring pretensions, but it's still based on an elise chassis and manufacturing process, with all the noise, comfort, fit, and finish compromises that entails...similarly, while it's built upon the elise chassis sporting intent, its grand touring appointments compromise that essential handling and raw feel with extra weight and muted feedback...

...really, it straddles both worlds (touring and sporting) while mastering neither, and that's a difficult sell to a market polarised toward extreme performance or extreme comfort, with a host of better-suited sporting and touring cars available to either end...i fully expect the evora to replace the europa in lotus' lineup, being designed from the outset as a touring car rather than a roadster...

...plus, i don't find the europa particularly attractive - there's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't have any particularly breathtaking character traits...it's a platform of compromise and thus projects a sense of banality amongst a field of deliberately outstanding designs...

·
Registered
705 Posts
IMHO, it looks like a Dodge. So much so, that they borrowed it for their vaporware EV.

·
Registered
570 Posts
its kind of an outcast in the European Lotus community-it doesnt seem to have an identity

1 - 5 of 5 Posts