The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've had my Evora S for just a couple of days now and love it. Though have a question about a "tinny" sounding vibration coming from the rear of the car at the lower rpms when accelerating.

I drove 3 new Evora S's and noticed this sound coming from what I assume to be the muffler and/or heat shielding. I also heard on two of the cars that I drove (one new 2013 and a new 2014) when the dealer pulled them out of the showrooms.

Is this normal? Any way to dampen?

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the car!

Try toggling the sport button on / off and compare the sound. Sometimes I had a high pitch metallic sound on idle with sport off and goes away when sport on. Maybe something to do with the exhaust valve / vacuum solanoid. I now have 5k miles and do not get the same noise.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Not quite sure what you define as tinny, but the Evora S does sound a bit incomplete at near idle rpm without load.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also have a 2013 Evora S. During my first service at the dealer I asked for the sound to be investigated. I was told, according to Lotus, that it is normal vehicle operation.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks friends. Figure it must be a TADTS type of thing as there was some form of this on all the ones I drove.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I had that exact same issue when I got my '12 Evora S. It went away when I swapped my stock exhaust for the Larini exhaust/decat pipe. All was good for months, and then briefly for about a week or two it started up again then disappeared on its own. It would happen under hard acceleration at mid-high RPM. I haven't heard it in a long time since, so I haven't bothered to try and diagnose it further.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've had my Evora S for just a couple of days now and love it. Though have a question about a "tinny" sounding vibration coming from the rear of the car at the lower rpms when accelerating.

I drove 3 new Evora S's and noticed this sound coming from what I assume to be the muffler and/or heat shielding. I also heard on two of the cars that I drove (one new 2013 and a new 2014) when the dealer pulled them out of the showrooms.

Thanks.

Not sure if this helps but on my NA Evora I had a tinny rattle and found out it was the heat shield between engine and trunk bodywork. I got a longish piece of wood thin enough to slide down between the two and bent the heat shield away from the body. Seems to have fixed it

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Had my car up on the lift the other day, and the mechanic found the emergency brake cable was rattling against a heat shield.
This runs along the forward side of the engine, against a chassis member.
Check it out. We trimmed a bit of heat shielding to quiet the sound.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Had the same as notorious described. Small thing to fix. Lift the car and have a small piece of rubber insert where the handbreak fixing is on the car body. You will see it immediately. Might be the cause of your noise.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thanks.

That would be the faulty valve that toggles between open/closed when in sport/non sport mode. I have a 2012 S and it has been that way since it rolled off the truck. Lotus still doesn't have a fix. I bypassed the valve. Search my prior thread on the topic. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
It could be anything. The small heat shield behind the front pipe flange where the 3rd cat mounts to has a tendency to rattle.. The engine upon acceleration does have a tinny sound to it at lower gears. The vacuum operated exhaust bypass valve can also be a bit loose and rattle.. There are probably a dozen more areas.

No one can say with any certainty what it might be without actually listening to what you're talking about.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems highly unlikely that it would be the "faulty valve" as described above as mine car is a later model 2013. Seems like that would have been sorted by Lotus.

·
Registered
856 Posts
One would also think that Lotus managed to sort the flaking headlights, cracking A pillars, water intrusion around the windows, etc.

·
Illegal Alien
5,259 Posts
My 12 S had muffler changed out due to rattle in the valve.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same tinny rattle in my 13 S it was from the exhaust, lotus replaced it and it was better, but the real fix was the larini and decat that made the car sound the way it should.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had the same tinny rattle in my 13 S it was from the exhaust, lotus replaced it and it was better, but the real fix was the larini and decat that made the car sound the way it should.
I'm a little confused about the decat issue for newer models. If you check this link, Lotus sells a third cat bypass kit for model year 2012 and prior only.

Performance Accessories | Lotus Cars

I assumed that means you don't need a decat for 2013s and forward? I ordered a 2014, so I'm trying to sort this out.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I just dealt with this. In Europe the Evora, both NA and S, had a decat pipe in place of the third cat from the factory starting with model year 2012. However, to make sure that the car still passed emissions in all 50 states in the US the third cat continued to come on the car. It is my understanding that, starting with the 2012 cars, only the US cars continued to have the third cat with the ROW cars having the decat pipe instead. I replaced the third cat on my 2013 NA car with a 2bular decat pipe and have been very pleased. There is no reason not to do it unless you already have aftermarket exhaust manifolds or something of that ilk and want the third cat to quiet the car down and/or need it for emissions if you have removed the two primary cats in the oem headers.

·
Illegal Alien
5,259 Posts
I'm a little confused about the decat issue for newer models. If you check this link, Lotus sells a third cat bypass kit for model year 2012 and prior only.

Performance Accessories | Lotus Cars

I assumed that means you don't need a decat for 2013s and forward? I ordered a 2014, so I'm trying to sort this out.
Exactly as phaphaphooey stated, only North America continues with the 3rd Cat; ROW went 3rd Cat free in '12 .. note that they are selling two decat kits with and w/o downpipe, this is because S and ISP cars had a different flange orientaion at the 3rd Cat so rather than make 2 decat pipes Lotus (expensive to consumer) solution is to sell new downpipes to the old NA cars.

A cheaper solution to the consumer is purchase a 2bular, Larini so such de-cat pipe for pre '12 NA's and Lotus LOTAC05539 for newer regardless of model. You should be able to get a newer 2bular, Larini de-cat pipe but make sure you specify that it needs the new flange orginetaion.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Great . . . thanks. That mostly settles it. I'm in Dubai, which obviously makes me "rest of the world." But the dealer insists that all cars brought into the UAE are based off of Federal homologation standards. I guess I'll figure it out for certain when I get the car in June. If it comes in June.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If that is the case then you will have the cat. The decat pipes are cheap and if you do something like the Plackslayer exhaust it will take care of the cat anyway as it comes straight off of the downpipe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts