1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've seen other Top Speed P-1 parts before. They've all seemed reasonable, but there's a caveat.

Top Speed P-1 is, to the very best of my knowledge, a China ODM-based brand. The way this kind of business works is that an Original Design Manufacturer has factories making parts overseas (usually China or Taiwan). Lots of other brands then contract the manufacturer, choose a materials/assembly trim and the manufacturer makes the product. Other brands using this model (like Top Speed) include Invidia, OBX, GodSpeed, etc.

I have no experience with this particular exhaust, but these products are often actually pretty good quality at a good price.

The issue is that the designs and engineering are often knocked off, so while you're getting yourself a good product at a good price whoever put work into designing the original product isn't getting their cut.

I suspect if you look around you'll find an exhaust which is of identical design but manufactured by a fabricator or a name brand. For example, the "Top Speed Pro-1" exhaust for the 350Z is a direct HKS replica, and the Top Speed Pro-1 Miata exhaust is a direct GReddy TI-c replica.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
And the Track Spec straight pipe looks like Placks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Came across these on Ebay (I know). Apparently company is based in Texas. Full priced exhausts are spendy on their website but are fairly cheap on Ebay. Anyone have any experience with this company? Never heard of them before.

Exhausts

Lotus Evora 10 13 Track Spec Straight Pipe Rear Section Exhaust System | eBay

Lotus Evora 10 13 Street Spec Resonator Rear Section Exhaust System | eBay

Seems most of their business is "import" focused which explains the burnt titanium overload.
From the video, I really like the sound of the resonated pipe! It sounds aggressive but not obnoxiously loud. It has the right balance for me personally :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen other Top Speed P-1 parts before. They've all seemed reasonable, but there's a caveat.

Top Speed P-1 is, to the very best of my knowledge, a China ODM-based brand. The way this kind of business works is that an Original Design Manufacturer has factories making parts overseas (usually China or Taiwan). Lots of other brands then contract the manufacturer, choose a materials/assembly trim and the manufacturer makes the product. Other brands using this model (like Top Speed) include Invidia, OBX, GodSpeed, etc.

I have no experience with this particular exhaust, but these products are often actually pretty good quality at a good price.

The issue is that the designs and engineering are often knocked off, so while you're getting yourself a good product at a good price whoever put work into designing the original product isn't getting their cut.

I suspect if you look around you'll find an exhaust which is of identical design but manufactured by a fabricator or a name brand. For example, the "Top Speed Pro-1" exhaust for the 350Z is a direct HKS replica, and the Top Speed Pro-1 Miata exhaust is a direct GReddy TI-c replica.
I had read about this phenomenon but had never seen a specific example. Thanks for the insightful post. I wonder what other system was copied to make the Evora systems that they offer since there are very few systems for the Evora and none that I know of look like this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Came across these on Ebay (I know). Apparently company is based in Texas. Full priced exhausts are spendy on their website but are fairly cheap on Ebay. Anyone have any experience with this company? Never heard of them before.

Exhausts

Lotus Evora 10 13 Track Spec Straight Pipe Rear Section Exhaust System | eBay

Lotus Evora 10 13 Street Spec Resonator Rear Section Exhaust System | eBay

Seems most of their business is "import" focused which explains the burnt titanium overload.
Hey there the videos you saw are of my car.. I helped developed the pipes and tested the different offerings. Yes they are made overseas but the quality is great, I've been running the prototype on my Evora for a year and a half! I've been very happy with the sound of the straight pipe setup..

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had read about this phenomenon but had never seen a specific example. Thanks for the insightful post. I wonder what other system was copied to make the Evora systems that they offer since there are very few systems for the Evora and none that I know of look like this.
So here's the deal on that, I helped Top speed come up with their systems for the Evora. The design was never browed/copied from another aftermarket Evora system.
The first setup I tested was a dual silencer set up that had started life out as a Elage system, that system on the dyno lost horsepower and was really quiet compared to the lotus sports exhaust which I had on the car when I bought it.

I suggested that they come up with a few alternatives to the Lotus sports exhaust as far as sound goes, Like just a straight pipe post 3rd cat. And then another setup which had just a resonator, I like the resonator setup its about 30% quieter than just the straight pipe, But I wanted a bit more sound so I went with the straight pipe. (I got to keep a one of the prototypes for my time and trouble of using my Evora for fitment and dyno runs)
I still had my Stage 2 lotus exhaust so I could change it back easily if I wanted a quieter sound.. all in all Im still very happy with the post 3rd cat straight pipe setup, lots of gurgles and pops!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can chime in on this. I have one and agree that it sounds good, right amount or gurgle and pop….but. I purchased a resonator version last year, I thought the blue tip would look god on my Persian blue car, and the obvious weight loss over original exhaust is a must. Received and installed only to find that the tip was misaligned, it was off clockwise to horizontal level, the way it is constructed you can only adjust the tip up and down.
I contacted them and after waiting two months they did send a replacement tip, waiting for weather to cooperate to replace the tip as I was also planning a brake/clutch fluid flush at the same time. well time finally came and as a lot of other posts state the brake/clutch fluid was horrific, especially for car having only 5K on it, anyway back on topic, the replacement tip they sent after I waited two months ( maybe an indication they do not do it in house) I found to be even worse than the original as far as tip alignment! I returned their replacement and stuck with the original, its off enough that people notice which is embarrassing, as soon as I can I am taking it to get corrected at an exhaust shop or welder.
I am no engineer but I did grow up in a muffler shop, I have no idea why they would hard weld the tip to a pipe that has 4 or 5 bends in it? of course it would be hard to get the tip angle correct and each one would be a little different? If they just left the tip as a slip on it would alleviate the issue with alignment. Like the exhaust sound, quality? Well that’s a different story.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I cant comment on the production run stuff. The angle on my exhaust is perfect, On the test prototypes I tested the outlet was not straight, I took them down to a exhaust shop for Top speed and had the tips aligned and rewelded and that's what they made the productions version off of.

·
Registered
945 Posts
So here's the deal on that, I helped Top speed come up with their systems for the Evora. The design was never browed/copied from another aftermarket Evora system.
Sweet! Glad they made their own on this one... I stand corrected on my initial theory.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In that case, since it is an original design, good on them. If they made the tips more adjustable and also offered the option of dual tips I would certainly be up for one. Sounds great in the videos.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Their straight pipe is very similar to mine but about 3x longer and uses the side mounting points. I avoided using those simply to save as much weight as possible. My exhaust is ~7lbs. I am betting this one is about double that.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plack, I noticed that. Not quite sure why they felt the need to follow the normal exhaust path on the straight pipe as your exhaust's routing is much more efficient and lighter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts