The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of an 08 S240 this week and have been in awe of the car since the second I turned it on. A few things are concerning me though (which I'm sure are everyday things) but would like confirmation from the regulars.

Quick background: Car came from Auto Europe (fantastic experience) with 5,000 miles. Tires and shocks are still brand new as they were removed from the car at the time of it's original sale and put back on when sold to me. The car was also thoroughly inspected by said dealership prior to delivery so I don't have any serious concerns about these.

#1. The brakes squeal on every stop. And I mean squeal like a city bus from all four corners, the worst being at very low speeds. Hard braking to re-bed them have done nothing. I know these are supposed to be loud at times... but every time I hit the pedal from every corner?

#2. Light metallic sound from left side of car that speeds up with tire rotation. Hard to describe this one but it's much louder when next to walls or barriers and it's consistent.

#3. Engine cover looks like it has a gap when sitting in the seat and looking behind yourself. From the outside it looks perfectly flush. Normal?

#4. How long can you let the car sit before the battery goes dead? I believe the manual said 3 weeks but what is the normal protocol here? If put away for winter then start it once a week?

Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
#1 Ex owner probably installed race pads, thus they squeak

#4 Battery tender. My cars sits for 8-14 months at a time with no issues on tender.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
#1 (see lotuscupcar's post)

#2 If it vehicle speed related, check your tire to make sure you don't have a stone or nail or something in it. Could you maybe describe this a bit better or possiblly have someone take a recording of it while you're driving?

#3 Yes, that's normal. TADTS

#4 Can agree with lotuscupcar's post any more! I've got a Battery Tender Jr. and one of those itty bitty little aftermarket, lightweight batteries. Hasn't failed me yet. An excellecnt investment of like $40. Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Batterytender.com I have the vehicle side of mine attached to the jumper posts under the front access panel and routed out near the windshield wiper base. When disconnected, I just tuck it back under the panel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
#2 Could be race pads installed that a re slightly smaller than OEM pads and are rattling in the caliper. This happened me with Pagid RS4 pads

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The brake squeal you are describing may be the normal sound of the 240/260 AP brakes. I don't think he necessarily has to have race pads to have them make noise.

I have had 3 Exiges and my Sport 260 was the first with the bigger AP brakes and I was shocked how noisy they are - especially at low speeds. Very different from my other 2 Exiges that didn't have the big brakes.

There is a special brake bedding procedure for the 240 and 260 AP brakes where you get the car up to like 50 MPH and stop several times that is supposed to be done when new. This is supposed to set them up so they work optimally and reduce noise. This procedure can be done afterward but it seems to be temporary.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
If you store the car for the winter, use a battery tender.
Do not start it once a week. Unless you take it for a 30 minute drive (to warm everything in the drive train) you do much more harm than good. Cold starts and running it in the garage are really hard on the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely thinking race pads at this point too. I'm gonna swap them out in ~300 miles or so. Any recommendations from you guys for a good street pad that's relatively quiet but contains similar stopping power?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Did you buy the Silver S240?! Congrats! I've seen it there and it's cherry.

I agree with everyone else on the battery situation; 2 weeks is what I'd say for the longest stint without a Battery Tender. Not sure on the metallic noise. Perhaps take a wheel off and ensure everything looks normal?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts