The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Just bought a new Exige S - 2007 Canadian car!

Have not yet took delivery of the car but will be once I get tires on them!

They are on the stock rims:

I have done a lot of reading and seem I will not go for DOT rated tires but high performance summers as I plan more for the street and casual track if that.

Fronts: 205 - 45 - 16
Rears: 245 - 40 - 17, or have seen possible 235 - 40 - 17

What is everyones thought of what I should get?

I am leaning towards Bridgeston RE-11
But have also seen people get Dunlop Direzza Z1
OR: Toyo R1R

Or stick with the oem Yoko 048?

More importantly if I go with the 205 - 45 - 16 and 245 - 40 - 17 and on stock suspension there should not be any rubbing or issues getting it on the stock rims?

Soooo excited to drive it in a couple days!!

btw: I was told from the original purchase that the car did not have the Track pack, but when I look under the car I see Bilstein yellow shocks??

I came from a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 6 speed

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new car - you're going to love it.

For street use I'd suggest sticking with stock tire sizes. More rubber = better lap times, not necessarily more feel or more fun.

·
2006 Exige
672 Posts
Congrats! The yellow shocks are not the track pack - they are standard on the Exige and part of the sport pack on the Elise.

My vote is to stick with the stock sized tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I should just get the A048?

Will I actually see tubing issues because I'm on stock suspension setu?

I see a lot of people using 205 45 16 and 245 40 17

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I guess I am the odball of the bunch. I couldn't stand those dinky stock front tires. My advise is if you are going to buy new tires now, pick up some rims and get some meat on the front end! Trust me, it makes a huge difference in handling and taking turns. If you are upgrading, spend the extra cash and go all the way!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Elise guy here (not Exige), but....

how do you plan on using the car? Mine is 99% street (just starting the track thing). To me, grip and performance in all weather (the wet) is important.

Went GForce KDW - love 'em.

·
Registered
663 Posts
On my non lotus I use to have Dunlop Direzza's & yea they are descent on the sticky department but in the noise area they are simply horrible!! Couldn't even hear my wife talk (correct, not always a bad thing) when cruising at highway speeds, maybe 10K miles on the tires with plenty of tread. I threw them away... considered the KDW's & several other tires & ended up with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Not only do they stick to the road better then the Direzza's but they are 1000x's quieter & just feel better. If they are available in your size I highly suggest them.

No clue on what size you should use....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully this is going to work!!!

Bought Bridgestone RE-11

fronts: 205/45/16
Rears: 245/40/17

I was told my exige has 6.5" rims in the front and 7.5" rims in the rear. Generally the 245 is more meant for 8" rims but I took a chance :S

Hopefully I will be happy with my choice!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts