The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased an Exige S240 2008...How reliable is the Komo-Tec upgrades?? Ive been hearing that the car is good the way it is and does not need to be tuned? Plus I live in Kuwait so it gets a little hot here.

·
Registered
871 Posts
WOW ! another Middle East Lotus Owner :bow:! I was starting to think I was the only one :shrug:

Did you get your Exige 240 :drool: from the USA? Shipped over from one of the dealers? 'cause I'm not aware Lotus have any active dealers in the region - although I know both Kuwait & Dubai did have them approx. 10 years ago.

Would you mind detailing your story of importing your Exige (dealer used, costs, time scale, shipping method etc) as there are 2 Dubai based guys looking to import Elises at the moment and your experience would be helpful...

What are you going to do when it comes to service & repair? Is there a good dealer in Kuwait that you trust?

How is your Exige coping with life in Kuwait & the heat (although it's not THAT hot...yet-eek-). I looked into doing the same (Exige 240) until I found my Elise S1 last year, but a contact at Lotus Cars strongly said "don't do it"...so that put me off, as I guess he had reasons :sad:

Anyway, it would be great to hear any news of your Arabian Lotus :wave:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey I was in Dubai for the past 5 years just got back home to Kuwait a few months back and decided to treat myself with a beauty of a car. I'm shipping my car from Florida it should arrive in a few weeks all cargo vessels were full :mad: paper work from the US was not a big deal nor was the shipping company... shipping cost around Durhams 23,400 not that bad.

As for servicing the car there is a dealer in Kuwait (Al-Sayer) but they dont have a showroom... As they are the owners of Toyota/Lexus Kuwait it makes it a bit easier for me to negotiate with them to service my Exige with its TOYOTA engine :D

I am happy to see G.C.C lotus owners because i have a few questions myself :eek:

Overheating is it a big issue???
Dubai and Kuwait have some great roads which I'm not to worried about but what about traction and dust on the road??

Il keep you up to date on the car and shipping and servicing :D

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Dubai and Kuwait have some great roads which I'm not to worried about but what about traction and dust on the road?? i had an EVO VIII with semi slicks and its not that fun...
You might look to change out your tires then...the stock tires on the Exige are definitely "semi slicks".

I'd also wait on the Bemani, drive the car first then decide if you want to upgrade the power.

Above all else, have fun! :cool:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Using my Elise S1 in Dubai has so far been stress free. Lucky for me it's a low tech car compared to the later Toyota powered S2s so I can manage without a local dealer and complete any maintence myself :D

It copes with the heat OK, but I only drive it in ambient up to 35C, 'cause after that it's the limit for me :crazyeyes (no A/C) rather than the cooling system. In traffic the cooling fan will trigger, but it can cool the engine without any overheating issues.

Off course in tempretures of 35C+ EVERYTHING gets hot and the heat's retained for a long time in the alloy structure, meaning quite a lot of heat soak in the cabin, were the coolent pipes run. The only point of concern is the heat of the rear clam near the exhaust back box, which gets too hot to touch - maybe not a problem with an S2 as they have a different design. Oh, I run the car without undertray or diffuser to aid cooling at the rear of the car and notice no difference when driving.

From what I read on Lotus Talk your A/C will be marginal in Kuwait and I think this is one of the reasons why Lotus Cars have not offically launched in the region...best to find a covered parking area ;)

I hear that Lotus' Air to Air intercooler has heat soak issues in cold climates like the UK, let alone Kuwait, so you might want to think about that. It might be OK once on the move with air going through it. I agree, before tuning the engine I'd see how it copes with a Kuwait summer first. One thing I'm not doing is putting on a aftermarket air filter...I'm not convinced they add any power and with all the find dust/sand in the air I think the engine needs all the help it can get from the standard filter & enclosure.

I'm running Toyo R888 tyres and they seem great to me - very high grip, but with hardly any rain I don't see why they should have issues. With Dubai heat and only 10000 KM driving per year, I'm sure they'll dry out rather than wear out...

Next time I'm over in Kuwait, I'll see if your around :shift:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome and Congrats! :coolnana:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome to the club - don't lift.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahaha no MJ lives in Bahrain and thanks for the comment about kuwait even though it is hot as hell right now... i cant stop red lining my car i love the sound, when im done driving it and when i get in my lexus i feel like im floating because it so smooth i cant stop thinking about the power the lotus has.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would recommend anyone driving in 110F plus degree weather look into upgrading the stock AC.
I drove my slightly used 08 S2 with 750mil on the clock from San Francisco to LA about a month ago, the heat in the central valley (100F degree) was too much for the stock AC to mitigate; I had to buy a 5 lb bag of ice to put under my knees to keep the cockpit tolerable.
If you drive without the AC maybe a cool vest would help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The temps i get in my car are between 195F and 208F is that considered to high and bad for the engine? I hate the tyre pressure sensor as there is nothing wrong with my tyres and yet there is always a TPMS fault i have to say it is a bit annoying.

I would like to add some upgrades to my car not sure what to put, headers exhaust, airfilter... what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The temps i get in my car are between 195F and 208F is that considered to high and bad for the engine? I hate the tyre pressure sensor as there is nothing wrong with my tyres and yet there is always a TPMS fault i have to say it is a bit annoying.

I would like to add some upgrades to my car not sure what to put, headers exhaust, airfilter... what do you guys suggest?
The problem with the TPMS can be the dramatic swing in temperatures. If you check the tire pressure when the tires are hot from the daytime heat it will show ok, then when it cools off, you are underpressure. Set the pressures early in the morning, according to the psi on the door sill. Make sure there is not a conversion problem with units as well. Excuse my ignorance, but what units do you use for pressure over there, pounds per square inch (psi)?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Regards upgrades on your Exige 240

You could try 2bular regards both manifold & system ... they make bespoke items for supercharged cars, with / without cat. All the other exhaust manufacturers seem to offer the same system for both N/A and S/C cars...

On air filters, has your 240 got the larger enclosure / paper filter fitted to the 255 Cups? I would have thought this was a good way to go as Lotus Sport developed it. Remember the very dusty conditions of our region, you need a good filter and get it's element replaced / cleaned often.

Going more radical, I've read (on SELOC web site) about water based charge cooler to replace the air charge cooler. It was developed by ProAlloy (there's more about it on their web site). It's quite involved to fit (front clam off, additional coolent pipes from front to back etc)

As you've already got a high spec Exige, I can't think of upgrades on the drivetrain side than above...:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts