The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Great find! I've been looking for a project like this. Unfortunately, I called the factory and they told me "maybe next year."

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Great find! I've been looking for a project like this. Unfortunately, I called the factory and they told me "maybe next year."
In the mean time, it looks like you can start collecting parts ! !

·
Registered
650 Posts
I built a factory five cobra before my Elise. Very fun project and a joy for the do it your self type guys and girls. But easy to make a 15k project into a 50k plus project very easy...... Don't ask how I know this.... But I did sell it for 45k pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
According to the website's pictures, some of the transmission sticks far beyond the rear axle (even beyond the rear-most part of the rear tires). I suspect the front-to-rear balance of the car will be biased strongly towards the rear. The choice of the subaru engine will allow tuners to squeeze a lot of power into the lightweight chassis. Looks like it could be a fun track car.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Does look very interesting.

I will say the designer spent a lot of time looking at pictures of Eliges before he got his pencil out

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Project 818

It weighs 818kg (1800lbs) and they claim you can build the complete car for $15k. This looks really tempting.
I've been somewhat following this car since its inception. Had it been a baked kit when I was looking for a new car I would have it instead of the Elise.

However I can tell you it has been supposedly "coming out" for a year or 2 now. Definitely much more of a kit then when I first was looking at it, but I suspect there are still a lot of details to be ironed out until it is truly ready for production.

And yes one of the above posters is correct in that the "complete car at 15k" may be possible but 95% of the people that build them are over that either due to more expensive parts than expected or upgrades/improvements over the base car.

Does look very interesting.

I will say the designer spent a lot of time looking at pictures of Eliges before he got his pencil out
The designer (in terms of aesthetics) isn't just one guy. In many ways it is designed by quite a few. They actually take proposals and submissions on how it should look, and the design is STRONGLY influenced by the "community".

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I've been somewhat following this car since its inception. Had it been a baked kit when I was looking for a new car I would have it instead of the Elise.

However I can tell you it has been supposedly "coming out" for a year or 2 now. Definitely much more of a kit then when I first was looking at it, but I suspect there are still a lot of details.

And yes one of the above posters is correct in that the "complete car at 15k" likely possible but 95% of the people that build them are over that either due to more expensive parts than expected or upgrades/improvements over the base car.

The designer (in terms of aesthetics) isn't just one guy. In many ways it is designed by a few. They actually take proposals and submissions on how it should look, and the design is STRONGLY influenced by the "community".
I know. I was just making a funny

That being said, it looks quite Elige like

I'd like to someone do something more in line with the bonkers looking 340r

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've also been following the development of this car. As said above, it would make an amazing track car.
What autoX class would something like this fall under?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
According to the website's pictures, some of the transmission sticks far beyond the rear axle (even beyond the rear-most part of the rear tires). I suspect the front-to-rear balance of the car will be biased strongly towards the rear. The choice of the subaru engine will allow tuners to squeeze a lot of power into the lightweight chassis. Looks like it could be a fun track car.
its fairly common for TRANSAXLES to extend beyond the rear HALF SHAFTS in many mid engined cars. mid engined cars will have a strong rear weight bias, as does the elise.
here is a pic of my gt40. look at the gold plate under the exhaust, thats the end of the transaxle and it stuck out beyond the rear tires.
if the 818 is the same way then its fairly common for mid engined cars.
btw, that 818 is f'in cool.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts