The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh my goodness!
shinoo, the new RAC wheel is gorgeous!!!!

I want but, ouch! that price...

so I bought my car with LSS in part because I really liked the wheel. Now I'm thinking I'd rather have these RACs!!!

so what will my slightly used LSS wheels be worth?!?

nice shinoo, very nice...

·
Registered
389 Posts
hmmmm, drool. What's the weight difference between these wheels and the Lotus Sports wheels and, for good measure, the standard Lotus wheels?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If you click on the small pictures on the web site, you get big pictures.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree about the price!!!:huh:
WHHHHHHAAAAAAAT!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I would buy them if only they came in non-LSS size:(

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>eliseowner2b has gotten along just fine with the LSS sized wheels on his standard suspended car.<<<

I've done the same...and since converted to LSS springs. It's fine and certainly no death trap.

Those wheels and some nice max performance but civilized street tires would work well on our cars. The AO48s are very grippy but have much more noise and harshness than pure street tires. Some of the better street tires actually have comparable grip to the 48s but with better manners.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Stan said:
>>>eliseowner2b has gotten along just fine with the LSS sized wheels on his standard suspended car.<<<

I've done the same...and since converted to LSS springs. It's fine and certainly no death trap.

Those wheels and some nice max performance but civilized street tires would work well on our cars. The AO48s are very grippy but have much more noise and harshness than pure street tires. Some of the better street tires actually have comparable grip to the 48s but with better manners.
Stan, I am curious as to which street tires you'd suggest as an alternative to the A048. I have ordered Kodiak wheels from Sector 111 and was going to put the A048s on them...my car does not have a Sport Package.
Ron

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Stan, I am curious as to which street tires you'd suggest as an alternative to the A048. I have ordered Kodiak wheels from Sector 111 and was going to put the A048s on them...my car does not have a Sport Package. <<<

AO48s are excellent tires...but back to back against normal street tires such as the AD07s really shows their rough edges. They have lots of tire tread noise which varies according to the road surface. You can hear it on the highway over all the wind noise and so can cars next to you. It's not overwhelming but it's there. They are also stiff on irregularities. They do grip very well, especially when warmed up.

I'd love to be able to use the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or G-Force KD on the Elise but the proper sizes are not available or likely to come out. Those tires are amazing. The KDs are roughly as grippy as the AO48s but are quiet and comfortable and last longer. I've gotten about 15,000 miles out of KDs on my M3.

You can also fit the Falken Azenis onto the Elise..they are cheap and as grippy as the tires mentioned above. But they run very heavy and have harsh characteristics.

In terms of what is available this minute in good sizes, check out the Toyo T1-S and the Goodyear GSD3. Both are great tires and are in the max performance category which is a step above the base ADO7 tires. I'd lean toward to T1S since they are very light tires. They tend to run 2-5 pounds lighter per tire and our cars LOVES things like that.

In January the T1-S gets upgraded to the T1-R in Canada. No it is not an r-compound tire. Europe already has them and the US should get them later in 2005. Both the T1-R and T1-S come in stock sport sizes and also some plus zero sizes if you want to go wider on stock or larger width wheels. You can read about them with a search.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,350 Posts
The RS110s for the Elise will be lighter than the LSS & SSRs. They aren't cheap wheels becuase the volume is so small. We aren't cutting any corners and tooling costs $$$$$. This wheel will be fully forged. Nice and strong. Very sexy as well...they are the best looking wheel I have ever seen for the Elise (IM'unbiased'HO). ;)

BTW: Place your deposit now and get a free set of Blackwatch Racing tire bags...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you had to show the wheels on a car. that bimmer is NICE! the wheels are NICER! I imagine an M5 style gray gloss finish on these wheels to be perfect for my SY car....

my wife saw me looking at Shinoo's website and gave me a dirty look! She reminded me that I had said I would be keeping this car "stock." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Stan said:
I'd lean toward to T1S since they are very light tires.
The Goodyears are also very light tires. The Toyos generally run about 3 pounds lighter than the heaviest tires (Falken Azenis, Bridgestone S-03) in the same size, for 15" tires. The Goodyears are about the same.

I think that the Goodyears probably give slightly sharper handling, based on reviews from the Miata forum membership. The Bridgestone S-03 would be better, but isn't available in an appropriate size. And the Falken Azenis isn't really in the category of tires that provide a smooth, quiet ride. Maybe better than the A048s...I haven't experienced those.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts