The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently joined this forum because I am seriously thinking of coming back to Esprits after owning #16 of the 1991 Jim Clark Lotus Turbo Esprit SE's which I sold in the late 90's.

Any chance someone on here has that car now? Last I saw of it was being severely modded in the engine and suspension areas.

But this time, I am looking to try out a late model 2002+ Esprit since they are considerable different than the SE's. I've owned other sports cars like a 911, Viper, Ferrari 355, and Corvette after the Esprit, but I always missed that unique character of the Esprit.

Are there many Esprits in Houston these days? We used to have a decent sized Esprit gathering every now and then back in the 90's, but I have lost track of everyone.

And if anyone can comment on the shops that can do good work on Esprit's when needed ( I try to do most things, but there are some projects that need too many special tools ) that would be appreciated. When I owned my Esprit, Frank Palmer was the go-to guy in Houston, but I think he's left the country.

Anyway I look forward to getting back up to speed and hunting for the right car.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well, welcome back! You will find a wealth of information on most things Esprit on Lotus Esprit World. Not sure about Houston's Esprit lifeforms, but I am pretty sure there is a section further down the main forums page in regards to local group gatherings etc, take a gander in there and perhaps you'll find someone local. Keep us posted as many people come in looking for advice on purchasing an Esprit and I always enjoy reading of their experiences and happenings.
Artie

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,863 Posts
Are there many Esprits in Houston these days?
The Houston-area Lotus folks are on Yahoo Groups.
Lotus Owners of South Texas (LOST)

<lotus_ownerssouthtexas.yahoogroups.com>

:clap:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the welcome back and the tips. I have applied to the LOST Yahoo Groups to get plugged into the local scene.

My Esprit ownership was better than most. I owned the car for 5 years and only needed an intercooler impeller and the small items like the clutch hose. It depreciated at about $1K per year in the end, so it was cleaper than anything I had owned before or after.

I am in the mood to push my luck though, because the newest Esprits are about the same age as when I sold my 1991.

I've been lucky with all my sports cars, but they all have horror stories when you get to know them. The dirty little secrets of the 996 and early 997 Porsches would shock you, and don't get me started on Ferrari!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts