The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently there's a company that offers a direct-replacement of the Toyota/Yamaha 1.8 2ZZ with the Ecotec 2.0L Turbo (found in the Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Redline) bringing power to 280hp. Cost is $19k for parts and labor. Saw this in April's Road & Track.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
19K? Pass, the turbo ecotec is a very capable motor though. I'd rather have a 240 whp N/A K20.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
19K? Pass, the turbo ecotec is a very capable motor though. I'd rather have a 240 whp N/A K20.
Yeah, but the Ecotec comes with a double scoop waffle cone full of torque.
:drool:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
People have gotten the FF275 turbo kit to produce that much HP and a little less torque for a lot less coin. With aggressive tuning and a slightly built engine, you can probably do the same with the aftermarket SC kits for a lot cheaper too.

I'd still like to see one of these in person though, I'm all about engine swaps if it makes performance sense.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Wow... I can spend 66% of the price of the car to go up 100hp? Egads...

I would like the 245hp version in an Ariel Atom though. :)

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Looks like a great setup. Little pricey for most, but great option if someone needs an engine replacement

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
$19k is steep. Also, the car needs to be balanced as much as it need the HP, does anyone know the weight of this setup?

I'm thinking I would rather have a supercharged 2zz that is well balanced and tested on the track (by Lotus) over an Ecotech with 280HP that isn't balanced.

But we've still got more car than driver, so I won't be doing anything to add power anytime soon.

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
has any one done this?

im thinking if i need to rebuild my engine(likely) im going to make the project interesting and put one of these in instead.though not at 19000$ price point.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
GM currently offers, for the LSJ supercharged engine, dealer-installed performance upgrade packages called "stage kits" that are covered by factory warranty. The Stage 1 kit consists of new fuel injectors and a reprogram of the ECU, and yields up to a 30 bhp (22 kW) improvement. The Stage 2 kit consists of new fuel injectors and the same reprogram with a smaller serpentine belt and pulley for the supercharger, producing a 40 bhp (30 kW ) improvement and 30 ft·lbf (40 Nm) of torque. Both stage 1 and 2 kits increase the engine redline to 7000 rpm. The Stage 3 kit consists of a smaller, 76 mm (3 in) supercharger pulley, a 2-pass intercooler end plate and a customizable replacement ECU. The Stage 3 ECU allows for the use of a 50-shot of nitrous, 100 octane fuel and an adjustable redline from 6750 to 8000 rpm. Stage 3 produces 248 bhp using 93 octane fuel, up to 260 bhp using 100 octane fuel, and much higher bhp with nitrous. Stage 3 is for track use only, and to emphasize this, air conditioning is disabled with the Stage 3 ECU.

stage 3 doesnt sound bad

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
If they can just increase the redline without modifying the valve train there is no reason you couldt just reprogram the ecu to increase the redline
why do you feel you need more low end torque in this car? its not like its heavy
k20 has way more potential... and it wasnt made in america so it wont explode and/or catch fire if you look at it the wrong way... and it doesnt come with deathcool in it

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i found on line a lsj 260 hp s/ced engine and tranny from gm performance for 2995$ a new wire harness and dash maybe 1200-1500 tops. and what a few hundred dollars for fabrication.

5000$ish,'

then fix the 2zz, and sell it. maybe 2-3 grand for the whole swap.

a fun project with far more potential hp and TORQUE! there are 1600hp cobalts running around on stock tranny and blocks..

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If they can just increase the redline without modifying the valve train there is no reason you couldt just reprogram the ecu to increase the redline
why do you feel you need more low end torque in this car? its not like its heavy
k20 has way more potential... and it wasnt made in america so it wont explode and/or catch fire if you look at it the wrong way... and it doesnt come with deathcool in it
GM Ecotec isn't made in america either,infact is was engineered by Lotus.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
If you're gonna do an engine swap, might as well make it worthwhile. A k20a stock wouldn't be enough of an improvement to justify it IMO. A great improve, no less, but not amazing. Yes, I know there are 5 bajillion aftermarket companies for Honda... :D

Why so much? That powerplant can't cost that much. Even with labor.
Well, it does come with a warranty and I'm sure it cost some R&D to develop all the custom brackets and such, make sure everything hooks up. Also, there are few Lotuses. If there were three times as many eligible Lotuses, they would probably drop the price a lot in hopes of more customers. That's something we Lotus owners have to live with... :(

i found on line a lsj 260 hp s/ced engine and tranny from gm performance for 2995$ a new wire harness and dash maybe 1200-1500 tops. and what a few hundred dollars for fabrication.

5000$ish,'

then fix the 2zz, and sell it. maybe 2-3 grand for the whole swap.

a fun project with far more potential hp and TORQUE! there are 1600hp cobalts running around on stock tranny and blocks..

I'm not sure fabrication would cost just a few hundred if you want a good job. This is your motor. Do you really wanna cheap out on the fabrication part of the process and end up with a bigger head ache? :p

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
im sure a few friends could help out...(-poke-anonymous-poke-) the lsj weighs 12 pounds more the the 2zz. so mounts wount need to be much different. more on placement.

also, like i said tranny and block are very capable. could be a ton of fun.. come on mike, i know youll want to help.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts