The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I am new to the forum and new to a 1997 V8 Esprit. It's a nice low mileage car, but it has hardly been driven at all in the last 15 years.

Has anyone else had gauges fall back inside the dash :confused: I've had 2 just drop back in the dash and the bezel and lens come bouncing out into my lap.-eek-

Thank you

Robert in TN

·
Super Moderator
4,178 Posts
Welcome!

Interesting - there is a guy also with a 2000 V8 that was a 'barn find' and only 9 K miles - guess this must be 'low mileage V8' month :D

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the V8 dash, but you may want to use this URL for pulling the panel off and taking a look.

V8 Gauge Update

·
Cal H
982 Posts
The V8 instrument pod looks like the earlier Stevens pod as the change over to the newer style pod was in 98. Only a few of the gauges like the boost, clock, etc are sometimes in different locations.

So what instruments are falling back into the pod and the bezel/glass coming off?

Or is it all of them?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The 97 had the same Caerbont gauges as the S4s and yes it is a common problem with that particular gauge. I think you'll find the bezel has actually cracked all the way around and separated from the main body of the gauge due to age and the plastic becoming brittle.

You may be able to carefully superglue it back together and it hold up for a while but replacement is probably in your future. Don't tighten the tension nut on the back any more than necessary to hold the gauge in place. In the past I've had some success with the superglue but the fumes can also fog the plastic lens...

You will need to remove the binnacle to access the gauges and replace or repair.

Cheers,
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts