The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I'm from the Twin Cities MN. Been lurking around this forum for a little bit just reading up bits and peices. I am looking to buy an Exige/Elise but need to read more into each car before I can make a decision. Looking to heavily modify like any of my other toys I have owned.

Right now I have a Turbo S2000 making 500+WHP and that is super fun. I also am riding a CBR600RR as well. Those are at the moment my current toys in the stable.

I plan on boosting whatever I end up getting into hopefully sooner than later. Should make for a fun car for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Welcome aboard! Do you have a plan on modifications? It is always best to lay things out first and plan the whole project. Mods on these cars make them a blast to drive. I have over $30,000.00 in upgrades on mine. Will you be looking at tracking?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If you are going the mod route, it seems logical then to buy the cheapest base car you can - like an 05 or 06 Elise or Exige (which would have no S/C) and then mod it yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Welcome, I come from an S2K my self after it was stolen (you know the routine) but the Elise is a much superior set up and if you boost, you'll definitely will notice the difference. I suggest you stop @ 400WHP on the Elise, that should get you to the grocery store with ample time..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions. The big difference in the elise vs exige that really sways me is how much more aggressive and better looking the Exige is.

Pound for pound is it worth spending the extra money on the Exige only to tear it all apart?

I have spent quite a bit on the s2000 as well. I'm not afraid to drop some money to put a smile on my face when I get behind the wheel of a car. I plan to get my shop to fab up a turbo setup for sure. What are the common issues when modifying these cars or issues in general?

Coming from the s2000 we were very fortunate the the motors on these cars were stout. Guys running 600whp no issues on a stock long block. It was the drivetrain guys were having issues with. Now with the getrag supra trans solution mated with a Ford 8.8 rear end S2000's and wheelies are becoming the norm.

sturgeongeneral- I'm pretty settled on a turbo setup for this car. Exterior styling I love in it's stock form(exige) and from what I have read so far these cars are like S2000's on steroids. So after the Motor mods I would look into making suspension/brakes getting up to par. Then really just enjoy such a cool looking car.

chronos- That totally makes sense to get the cheaper base to modify. But if there are things that I will end up making better that the better platform already has I'd like to start with the better platform as well. It's really hard to get over how crazy cool the Exige looks in stock form. How much work/money is involved in making the elise look like an exige? Does it make more sense to just head towards the Exige or Elise route?

Renderman- Sorry to hear about your stolen car. It must have killed you inside. I fortunate enough to never have to drive my S2000. Only to car events, fun drives, and places where I am in eyesight of my car. Otherwise it stays in the garage. Elise you say is the superior setup for my goals? If so can you explain why I really appreciate hearing what you have to say.

Thanks all and sorry for the long post. As you can tell I'm very excited.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If you like the look of the Exige, get the Exige. I wasn't suggesting mod an Elise to look like something else (that would be expensive and a lot of work unless you are really into fiberglass fab like some people on here). However, the 2006 Exige was non-supercharged (the only year it was so in the US) and as such you can get them for cheaper - if you plan on throwing a turbo or blower on it (my buddy who owns an 06 Exige did exactly this, we actually both installed the same kit at the same time on our cars) then you will a) not have to remove the old stuff and b) won't be paying for it either.

Aside from the issue of buying parts you might never use, there *are* differences in suspension components between base models and the 'track pack' models. In particular, the Track Pack option will give you adjustible Bilstein dampers and (I think) a different spring rate. There are probably some other things as well. Consider how likely you are to change the suspension after buying the car.

There really are otherwise very little variations between the models. The touring pack probably won't be very interesting to you, though it will give you a couple extra pieces of carpet. You'll probably want to buy one that has seat fabrics you like. Otherwise, it's pretty easy to just change up anything you don't like (like getting a leather-wrapped console, different fabrics for the doors, etc.)

A lot of it depends on how much you are willing to do *after* you buy the car. If you don't mind some light mechanical work, you can pretty easily add any performance mod to the car you like in a few hours or a weekend (common performance changes include better diffuser, new exhaust, bigger S/C, all of which can be done in a few hours if not a long weekend.) And of course we can all tell you how to do it as well :) Otherwise, expect relatively high shop rates, particularly because major engine work really demands that the rear shell come off (it's not hard to do but it is tedious.)

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Renderman- Sorry to hear about your stolen car. It must have killed you inside. I fortunate enough to never have to drive my S2000. Only to car events, fun drives, and places where I am in eyesight of my car. Otherwise it stays in the garage. Elise you say is the superior setup for my goals? If so can you explain why I really appreciate hearing what you have to say.
Yes it did!! to this day...I woke the dragon in it, here's one of my favorite pictures ever (2007) BTW I look younger now Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chronos- Thank you for the reply. I really really appreciate it. I am totally set on digging into the car as soon as I get it. I can't seem to leave any of my toys stock. So from your opinion it sounds like an 06 Exige will be my best bet. Since I want to boost, and suspension upgrades stat! Interior I'm not worried about. So track pack really just isn't much besides suspension? Is it worth it to look for a track pack? Or is there readily availible aftermarket suspension components that are better than track pack?

Renderman, Sweet man. I'll post a pic of my s2000 when I get home from work.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Opinions on suspension varies - racers end up switching out the suspension it seems, but... ? You'll probably just have to drive it, or look up one of the suspension threads. As for what else came with the track pack, I think there might also be a stiffer sway bar but I am not sure. Maybe someone else will pipe in :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts