The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just thought Id sign up and learn all I could about the Lotus Cars. I am looking for a 3 times a year track day, that can be used for AutoX, and a Daily Driver. My current car serves the purposes pretty well in those departments, but it come along with a Ricer Boy Status. I drive a 2008 Evo X tuned and Modded by Cobb Tuning. It makes 340whp on a mustang dyno, so speed is not the issue for me. I just want something that is a little more grown image wise.

I will do a search to answer my own questions here, but I do have one. How is this car as a daily driver? I will be the only one driving to and from work, and maybe the occasional date night.

Here's my current ride.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Your car is really cool.

You don't have "Ricer Boy Status," as you put it.

You have one of the fastest, best built sports cars on the planet.

We love Evos and their owners here on LotusTalk...and I love driving with you guys through the twisties near Malibu.

The Lotus is a different car than than the Evo.

We are lower and smaller and we handle like a junior Formula race car.

Evo's have much more power and handle like an angry (fast) beast.

Evo's owners get a trunk and a back seat. And cup holders.

As Serpent said, test drive it first and make sure you can live it with as a daily driver.

I love my Lotus as a daily driver. It's a constant rush. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thx, for linking these threads. I do now feel like a super dumb-ass for not seeing them right off though. Hopefully my last absolutely stupid question. Perfect first thread for a newb like me to read. Also, thx for the compliments on the car. I do really love it, but the wife really hates the Image it gives. She does however love the look of the Lotus. Ill try to give one a spin. Kinda hard here in Oklahoma, since there are no dealers:( Guess Ill have to make a trip to Dallas.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Keep the Evo or get the Lotus.

Then let her get a car she likes.

This is about YOUR car.

You've gotta have something that belongs to you and only you in this world.

Let her get the Crossover or the Prius.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
About 10% of this board used to have a rally rocket of some sort including myself. The lotus experience is a bit different. They are just a bit more fun to drive and way more involving imho. The lotus loves to dodge cones an autocrossing an elise is pure driving bliss. Track days are equally exciting but you may miss the 340 whp down the straights. It depends on your personality. My sti with konis, springs and camber plates felt like a lincon in comparison although it was definately a bit faster in open areas.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
It should also be noted that a lotus only makes for marginal transportation and is pretty much the least practical car you can buy. A tiny "fender bender" could nearly total it....

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This is about YOUR car.
...and whatever you do, do it before you get married to her!!

But it's understandable.
We live in a car society where what you drive is often considered a reflection of oneself.

It takes a bit of self esteem to drive what YOU want without letting it bother you what others might think of you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is about YOUR car.

LMAO at this one. She Picked her car and this is it lol. She has what ever she wants. We use my car for date night and she just hates the Evo.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Get the elise, keep the evo!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
^^As you typed this I was trying to figure out a way lol. Not sure I can some up with a way to justify it.
well sometimes we do things that we cant justify, but we do it anyway because we want to :p ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well see what I can do. I still need to get to sit in and drive one. Been searching Auto Trader, but not one with in quick driving distance here to even look at.

I'm in love with color and style!!

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...that machine is a beast; very nice!..
Thx, I've tried to keep things as tastefully done as possible. The Advan RS wheels get a lot of attention. it does run pretty good in a straight line doing to 60 in 4 secs and quarter in 12.1. The car is slot like the Lotus in the twisties it handles like dream, but with an extra 100 lbs on board. It goes this week to have some custom interior done, but I'm still shopping hard for something with a little more grown up. That thing is a cop magnet cause of the image and the wing. I have yet to get a ticket, but get pulled over frequently. My job so far has gotten me out of it. I've never gotten pulled over so much for not breaking the ten over mark.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I've tried to keep things as tastefully done as possible. It goes this week to have some custom interior done, but I'm still shopping hard for something with a little more grown up.
...i'd say you've succeeded...

...we looked at evos last year and the stock interior was a real letdown, very sophomoric in design and execution...i realise that the car's picked up a racerboy reputation, but it seems a poor choice to patronise that demographic...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Your car looks pretty slick, not Ricer Boy at all. Now, if it was purple and blue and green, with huge stripes, race ads, numbers and 20 inch wheels, it might be more rice boy.

The Elise could be a fun choice for you. You should definitely test drive one, and ask your insurance company about the cost to insure it. Elise are fragile cars and you need to be careful where you park and how you drive it. The car will pretty much out handle anything that is stock, so it is a fantastic ride. Keep in mind that you can't really drive in bad weather, never in snow, and if the soft top is installed, you don't want to park in a sketchy neighborhood, or even leave the car outside overnight in the pouring rain.

If you are driving every day, you will go through brakes, tires and oil faster than a normal car. However, Lotus engineers told me this past weekend that if you drive carefully most of the time, you should get 20,000 miles out of the tires! (Haven't heard of anyone going that long)

Anyway, it's a fun car! Good luck, whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts