The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering who you guys would recommend for parts. The lower front lip on my car appears to be damaged. Both sides are cracked I assume this is from going up and down curbs to quick. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question. My boost gauge is way off to the left any pointers? Also seems that my oil pressure gauge is a bit on the low side. Is it possible to have the gauges off or not calibrated correctly. Checked the oil and was a quart low. Car has been sitting for some time. Last full C service was done about a 10 yrs ago. But mileage is only maybe 9k since the service

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Get the timing belt changed asap or face a huge engine repair bill with tons of downtime.

I wouldn't drive it until a C service has been done.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
That lower spoiler is expensive and hard to get. You will break it anyway. I would fix up the one you have. You should do a full "C" service and change all of the fluids, filters, and belts. 10 years is too long. Be sure to flush the brakes and clutch cylinders, change the coolant, washer fluid, battery if over 5 years old and tires if over 7. Don't forget the wiper blades.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the rear tires I had just replaced. They were 12 yrs old. The regular oil changes were done in a timely fashion. The battery seemed to be replaced every year or so. I have all the maintenance paper work. Where would be the closet place to have the car serviced. I am located in Louisiana. Right outside New Orleans. Thanks for all of you guys help.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Battery every year is a red flag. Might have a battery drain. Get a trickle charger in the mean time. It might be from not driving it, but you don't know at this point.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That lower spoiler is expensive and hard to get. <snip>
SJS has the front spoiler lip for the later models for 36 pounds per half (part number SJ082B0072 and SJ082B0073). It's a re-pro that needs a little sanding and painting and fiddling with fitting it, but it's likely less trouble than repairing a badly damaged one.

Knut

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Another question. My boost gauge is way off to the left any pointers? Also seems that my oil pressure gauge is a bit on the low side. Is it possible to have the gauges off or not calibrated correctly.
The Caerbont gauges just don't hold up long term. Usually the faces eventually crack around the edge and fall off in your lap.

No calibration to the gauges. The needle has probably come loose on the boost gauge or it's just knackered. Does it seem to move properly but just doesn't start at 0 ?

The oil pressure gauge is probably the sender but expect to pay around $200 for the oem replacement. There was a fellow on the Yahoo list a while back who found a sender that worked for around $70 IIRC. If you want the info, PM me and I'll send it to you.

The only other option is to replace the gauges either with new oem or aftermarket VDO with a similar look.

Ditto JAE on the parts..and also on what everyone else said on the cam belt, get it changed asap.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Having to replace the battery every year is not necessarily a "red flag". It could just be the car was not used enough and the battery went dead often. To prevent that, if the car is not used at least every 2 weeks, you should have the battery on a trickle charger like a Battery Tender which is automatic and will keep the battery fully charged all the time. It can't hurt to make sure the alternator is OK too.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. The car is on a battery tender now. I believe in them. Have them on all my toys. I will look into the other things. Yes the gauges do move when they are supposed to. Just seem to be off. I really appreciate the help guys. Will post up pics of the car soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
Yes the rear tires I had just replaced. They were 12 yrs old. [snip]
Double check your date codes - they may be older than you think:

"On tires manufactured in 1999 and earlier, there is a three digit code used with the first two digits representing the week and the last digit representing the year. This system was used because the D.O.T. didn't think there would conceivably be tires still in use after ten years, eliminating the need for a millenium code change. "

That means "106" should be 10th week, 1996 production on your 1995 S4s.
"106" does NOT mean January 2006.

Tire dating

My 88 (bought in 2011) had Goodyear NCTs had something like '108' and they were 23 years old (in the front) and 20 years old in the rear.

Immediately replaced :panic:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I keep an informal registry of 93-95 S4's would you be willing to share your vin, color, miles, et?

I have about 70 cars on file. You could PM if you want to keep it of the forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does your S4s happen to be black with a black interior and an aftermarket exhaust?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts