The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would introduce myself, and get my post count up!

I have always wanted to get into an Exige S and finally talked the wife into it. While I am searching for the right car, I will be unloading my modded 996TT. Any others who have come from the P-Car world? What are your thoughts on the transition?

Danny

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
:wave: Welcome

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,222 Posts
Welcome! Take your time to find the Exige you are looking for, do lots of reading here in the forum and you will learn a lot as well. Have you driven a Lotus before?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! Take your time to find the Exige you are looking for, do lots of reading here in the forum and you will learn a lot as well. Have you driven a Lotus before?
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I have driven an Elise SC, but not an Exige yet.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Welcome - they probably haven't chimed in, but there are many ex and/or current Porsche guys on the site.

And hit up 'Abe' on the forum - he was most recently at Newport Lotus and is now at the new store (forgot where) - he's always got a bead on Eliges.

If you are looking and Elige, this is the best place to find them!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I can say with 100% certainty, both cars are amazing.
But the answer is very subjective, there is no right answer.

bad analogy time.

Consider both cars (100% stock) at the road course at Daytona.
I would pick the Lotus on the infield section, the TT on the oval section.

The Lotus is like a jack rabbit on caffeine, very light, very nimble, adequate HP, adequate torque (which means very good).

The 996TT feels like its carved out of granite its so stable, intoxicating amounts of HP and when the boost gauge climes towards 1 bar (The fun meter as some friends call it), the torque is a very sweet syrian song, (do it again, do it again!!!). Handling is adequate, (which again means very good).

The Lotus will leave you talking about the nimble handling, oh yeah, the power is pretty good also.

The Porsche will leave you talking about the amazing torque and power, oh yeah, the handling is pretty good also.

Its sort of like asking which is better in bed, Megan Fox or Natalie Portman, and should I marry her based soley on these results!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can say with 100% certainty, both cars are amazing.
But the answer is very subjective, there is no right answer.

bad analogy time.

Consider both cars (100% stock) at the road course at Daytona.
I would pick the Lotus on the infield section, the TT on the oval section.

The Lotus is like a jack rabbit on caffeine, very light, very nimble, adequate HP, adequate torque (which means very good).

The 996TT feels like its carved out of granite its so stable, intoxicating amounts of HP and when the boost gauge climes towards 1 bar (The fun meter as some friends call it), the torque is a very sweet syrian song, (do it again, do it again!!!). Handling is adequate, (which again means very good).

The Lotus will leave you talking about the nimble handling, oh yeah, the power is pretty good also.

The Porsche will leave you talking about the amazing torque and power, oh yeah, the handling is pretty good also.

Its sort of like asking which is better in bed, Megan Fox or Natalie Portman, and should I marry her based soley on these results!
One of my fears is that I will miss the power. But in all reality, I never get to use all of it on the street and I rarely find time to get to the track. I suppose in a perfect world I could afford and have space for both.

PM me and we'll go for a ride. I know just the place.

San
Can't pm yet. But would love a ride!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
One of my fears is that I will miss the power. But in all reality, I never get to use all of it on the street and I rarely find time to get to the track. I suppose in a perfect world I could afford and have space for both.
Nope... In a perfect world, 1 car would have both:D

and I was talking stock.

You modded your Pcar, you will mod the Lotus.

You can add HP/Torque to the Lotus. The 996TT just started with twice the displacement, and added boost. There is still no substitute for cubic inches, (or CC's in this case).

the big factor is, are you willing to put up with the minimalist amenities of the Lotus?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope... In a perfect world, 1 car would have both:D

and I was talking stock.

You modded your Pcar, you will mod the Lotus.

You can add HP/Torque to the Lotus. The 996TT just started with twice the displacement, and added boost. There is still no substitute for cubic inches, (or CC's in this case).

the big factor is, are you willing to put up with the minimalist amenities of the Lotus?
Honestly, the minimalism is a part of the appeal!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I currently own an Exige (NA). I came from a Subaru STi that I had modded to somewhere in the neighborhood of 330 whp. Granted, it's a heavier car, but that's still significantly faster than my Exige.

The Exige can't even be compared to that econobox with a good engine when it comes to handling... even though I had AWD and high end summer tires on it. Not even close.

Do I miss the power? Sure... I mean, my stock Exige (190 bhp) is fast, I guess... but nothing that's going to get my heart racing. But that's what saving up for a SC/TC kit is for :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I currently own an Exige (NA). I came from a Subaru STi that I had modded to somewhere in the neighborhood of 330 whp. Granted, it's a heavier car, but that's still significantly faster than my Exige.

The Exige can't even be compared to that econobox with a good engine when it comes to handling... even though I had AWD and high end summer tires on it. Not even close.

Do I miss the power? Sure... I mean, my stock Exige (190 bhp) is fast, I guess... but nothing that's going to get my heart racing. But that's what saving up for a SC/TC kit is for :)
Add another 150hp and that is what I am coming from, but I am still excited about it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a relatively stock (so far) '07 Exige S, and one of my other cars is a Boxster S with a combo GT3/PSS9 suspension and a 320 hp Carrera motor shoehorned into it. The Porsche's suspension and brakes have benefited from many years of track development (by me), while the Lotus is relatively new to me.

The Porsches are great daily driver sports cars (although mine is pretty stiff and rumbly for the street), while the Lotus is much smaller, much lighter, much lower, and harder to get in and out of gracefully. And unless you buy one in a bright color, I'm not so sure that tall trucks and SUVs can actually see you if you're near one of the corners of their vehicles. So it's not a great commuter/trip/daily driver car in my book.

I would say at lower speeds and tighter corners, the Lotus is quicker, even with the more pronounced body lean (track pack suspension, more front camber via aftermarket steering arms, sway bar and shocks set to full stiff). Compared to the Lotuses, the late model Porsches are geared pretty high. At Fontana Roval (Road couse/Oval) I was able to hang with a lot of Porsche track cars in the infield until about 1/3 of the way down the front straight (where HP-to-apparent frontal area matters more, usually above 80 MPH) and then anything with more than 250 HP would start to walk away. I would say the Boxsters and Caymans are between the Loti and 911s in terms of nimbleness (although their engines ARE NOT designed for sustained track abuse...)

So I'm the least comfortable in the Lotus on a crowded freeway, but in the hills on a curvy road, I've never driven anything else so immediate and so engaging... :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have a relatively stock (so far) '07 Exige S, and one of my other cars is a Boxster S with a combo GT3/PSS9 suspension and a 320 hp Carrera motor shoehorned into it. The Porsche's suspension and brakes have benefited from many years of track development (by me), while the Lotus is relatively new to me.

The Porsches are great daily driver sports cars (although mine is pretty stiff and rumbly for the street), while the Lotus is much smaller, much lighter, much lower, and harder to get in and out of gracefully. And unless you buy one in a bright color, I'm not so sure that tall trucks and SUVs can actually see you if you're near one of the corners of their vehicles. So it's not a great commuter/trip/daily driver car in my book.

I would say at lower speeds and tighter corners, the Lotus is quicker, even with the more pronounced body lean (track pack suspension, more front camber via aftermarket steering arms, sway bar and shocks set to full stiff). Compared to the Lotuses, the late model Porsches are geared pretty high. At Fontana Roval (Road couse/Oval) I was able to hang with a lot of Porsche track cars in the infield until about 1/3 of the way down the front straight (where HP-to-apparent frontal area matters more, usually above 80 MPH) and then anything with more than 250 HP would start to walk away. I would say the Boxsters and Caymans are between the Loti and 911s in terms of nimbleness (although their engines ARE NOT designed for sustained track abuse...)

So I'm the least comfortable in the Lotus on a crowded freeway, but in the hills on a curvy road, I've never driven anything else so immediate and so engaging... :D
Your boxster sounds fun!

The lotus will not be a daily, but it sounds like I need to experience one on the highway. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome, you'll LOVE the Exige :drool: I have a lead on a few that I've been holding close to vest and if you do decide to go the Exige route, I may be able to help. Coincidentally, I have a 2011 FE S260 coming in tomorrow but maybe baby steps are in order? :shrug: :evil:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I'll look at in in football terms:

- The Porsche is Adrian Peterson

- The Elise is Ray Rice

Of course, without the whole multiple out of wedlock kids and aggravated assault.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Thought I would introduce myself, and get my post count up!

I have always wanted to get into an Exige S and finally talked the wife into it. While I am searching for the right car, I will be unloading my modded 996TT. Any others who have come from the P-Car world? What are your thoughts on the transition?

Danny
What possessed you to want to move from a 996TT to an Exiged S?
Sorry, I'm so confused I forgot say Hi :wave:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome, you'll LOVE the Exige :drool: I have a lead on a few that I've been holding close to vest and if you do decide to go the Exige route, I may be able to help. Coincidentally, I have a 2011 FE S260 coming in tomorrow but maybe baby steps are in order? :shrug: :evil:
That is beautiful car! I would not mind learning more!

What possessed you to want to move from a 996TT to an Exiged S?
Sorry, I'm so confused I forgot say Hi :wave:
Haha. This may sound funny, but the idea of less power seems much more usable in Socal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts