The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a 10 hour run to go fetch a red 1990 Esprit SE. I have much to learn and I am confident I need to make friends fast. Any help for the below questions would be greatly appreciated.

1). Is there an illustrated parts list or diagram?
2). Is there a crossover parts list?
3). Is there a DIY on window motor cleaning? The window struggles to pull up. The tracks were gummed up with old grease. I have readjusted tracks, cleaned and lubed everything. The motor gearbox looks good. Wondering if I need to pull the motor apart and clean brushes and armature to improve power.
4). The car takes about 3-4 attempts to start. The engine turns over and start running by dies after about 0.5-1. It will do this about 3 times and then it will run on. It idles and accelerates. Thoughts on what to look at first? Sounds fuel related.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think if you buy a membership to TLF you get the parts diagram manual free? Others will chime in.

Search around on the euro forum there is a crossover list and more resources.

A common issue is the rubber hose from the in tank pump to the pulsation dampener. It gets rotten and lets the fuel pressure leak down. I think mine is doing this. I turn the key a couple times with out starting to let the pressure build up and it starts great. At some point I will get in and have a look.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Fuel pumps don't last forever either. If you're in there to replace that hose with a modern hose rated for submersion, a new pump is not much money and no more trouble.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,954 Posts
Dr Hess has a 'crossover list' on his website.

Blog on window motor issues and operation: (up to S4)

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Very common for the fuel tanks to rot and then contaminate the fuel system. Look inside the tanks and the fuel filter for signs or rust. You can also put a fuel pressure gauge on the system and watch the fuel pressure.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts