The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At PRI it was announced that the Defender H+N Restraint is SFI 38.1 approved. Under $550 for a brand new device. The cost of safety is now even lower.

Sorry for the misleading title. Saferacer sells for the smallest HANS $545 but the others for more.
Discovery Parts for the Defender $549

Paging Fishguy:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Hey Eddie does your helmet already have hooks in it? You can always try my Hans out whenever...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
They've had this price for awhile and its only for a super small size. That's like little boys size! 13" neck size and under. Up the size and it adds $150.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Looks like HANS lowered their prices to match the newly aproved Defender H+N restraint. At PRI it was announced that the Defender H+N Restraint is SFI 38.1 approved. HANS lowered their prices to match. Under $550 for a brand new device. The cost of safety is now even lower.

Saferacer for the HANS $545
Discovery Parts for the Defender $549

Paging Fishguy:popcorn:
I held a defender in my hand at the last FF race i did 4 weeks ago, and tried it on w/o my helmet or car.
i liked many things about it, but my helmet didnt have the (defender)clips for that device, so i really couldnt try it while sitting in my car.
the one thing that concerns me is side impact protection in my formula ford; a good freind of mine got dinged pretty hard on the head from the chassis tubes. In my FF car there are some chassis tubes right near my head, and the defender offers some side impact restraint, though i do not know how much, or if its enough for my purposes in that car. in my sedan i have a halo seat, so i am covered for the side impact protection that i feel i need.

The defender is also adjustable to different seat angles(20 + 30 degrees) so for me, the one H+N restraint could work in my sedan and the formula car, the versatility is a big plus.

the defender was impressive in many ways, i also liked how it held the belts over the shoulder restraint, though i have read that the belts can get hung up on them upon exiting the car.

if i had to do it al over again, i think i would buy the defender, but i do want to hear from at least 1 racer who used it in a crash first about thier experience with it. my HANS devices are tried and true, and used in every pro venue i see on tv, and thats says a lot in my decision of using a defender or a HANS.
the truth was that the defender really was just like a HANS, only "improved" or so it would appear.

if you are tracking your car, using a 5-6 pt. harness, then you should w/o question invest in some type of H+N restraint.
my .02

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I'd really like more feedback on the DefNder....anyone else try this thing?

I have to pick one up before the next LCS event at the end of the month.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I just now looked at more info online, I like the Defnder a lot for side impact...and as has been said before I don't have a halo seat in the Lotus and the ones I do like probably won't fit. Eddie you want to borrow my helmet+Hans for this Friday? I might pick up a DefNder...it looks pretty good.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I just now looked at more info online, I like the Defnder a lot for side impact...and as has been said before I don't have a halo seat in the Lotus and the ones I do like probably won't fit. Eddie you want to borrow my helmet+Hans for this Friday? I might pick up a DefNder...it looks pretty good.
Peter, thanks for the offer...but I don't know if I can get up early enough to swing by downtown LA...
I'll only be "testing" the SRF again....I believe MBI Racing has restraints...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Defnder or HANS?
After reading many post I now realize I should have bought a HANS type system way before any of my other parts

So now I plan on purchasing a head restraint system but can’t decide between a HANS or Defnder. I have Lotus seats with Sector 111 track pack 5 pt harnesses. Reading many posts and web sites I am concerned the HANS 20 is not optimal with the Lotus seats with the HANS resting on seat back, it seems? Reading up on the Defnder it seems to be a more updated HANS design with better adjustments and seems to be the better pick for my Lotus seats. My dilemma is all the reputable retailers carry the HANS and only a handful of small dealer sells the Defnder? The Defnder is a little cheaper as it comes with everything and the HANS charges for all the basic adds you have to have (I hate when retailers do that). But cost is not reason I would buy one over the other. The Defnder seems to be the better of the two for my set up?

Can anyone who has the Defnder give any feedback?

Or should I go with a HANS that seems to be the preferred brand carried by the major vendors for safety equipment? I tend to look at if the big vendors don't carry the Defnder they don't indorse it?

DefNder: Your Necks Best Defense
Welcome

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
the new hans device isn't approved for NASCAR so it must not be good

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Went with the Defender for the reasons you cited. Did have the added advantage of a shop at one of the tracks I run carries them. So was able to try it out and they help me set it and my helmet up. The HANS having been around much earlier, being better know and the required HnN device for many race groups, make it more readily available.

Main thing, whichever one you go with, make sure it’s properly set up.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My son started racing SCCA EP in January and I really did a lot of research on this and ended up going with the Defnder for the reasons already stated. It was also easy to set up, even though I followed the directions and set up to the Nth degree.
The thing that really swayed my was the superior side impact protection.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts